“Good service but far to expensive ... just a normaal room”

Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Cocles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We just stayed two nights in Physis Caribbean ... it was the most expensive room on our 23 days trip ( even the most expensive on holiday ever I think ... 131$ a night for the 3 of us, me and my two daughters) ... we expected more, this was the least experience during our trip!! The region Cocles is nice, lovely beach and close to Puerto Viejo and the beaches ... the Jaguar rescue center is only a 15 minutes walk. Erica is a good host, friendly (for instance she took us with to the centre with her car) but she was also strict ... with a lot of rules ... that's not what we're looking for (breakfast at two times: 7.30 and 8.30, you have to tell the day before what you will drink, rules in the room, bathroom, shower your feet, no shoes upstairs, ...) ... the rooms were to small for 3, also small bathroom, nice outside shower and good beds ... the WiFi in the room was bad, often not or very weak, you could also hear the footsteps upstairs ... and we didn't love the garden and common places, a bit fake atmosphere ... so for us the price/quality was insufficiënt!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank generatie72

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 5 days with the 3 of us ( my wife, kid and myself). We enjoyed the whole stay, where to start??? Erica the host is perfect, she helped us with finding the best trips for surfing, exploring the wild parcs, swimming, snorkling, drinking and eating. Erica knows the best spots you are looking for. The breakfast is perfect, the rooms airconditioned and clean, we had an outdoor shower which we liked very much.
Erica, the hotel and all the nice people we met in puerto viejo made our stay excellent. We definitely recommend physis to all travelers who want to enjoy and relax the beautiful costa rica Caribbean coast!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Stayed there 4 days in july and loved everything. Erica is a beautiful host that helped me with everything, Beautiful beach close by, town is cool with music and food, not to far away. my favorite, the resident sloth. I had a wonderful time!! thanks Erica!

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank Cynthia K
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We spent 2 nights in the honey moon suite and extended our stay after the first night... why?

Cause our host, Erica, a lovely canadian women, cared for everything we could wish for and made our first stop to the most personal one in Costa Rica. We'll come back!

The hole place is beautiful: Hammocks, flowers and the chilli bob marley music make this place so special - always feels good to be back after a day at Cahuita Nationalpark, Punta Uva Beach or the recommended jaguar rescue center. Just rent a bike at physis and explore the surroundings!

A good day starts with erica's breakfast: After some fruits you can choose between tasty pancakes, french toast, eggs on toast or waffles!

What else can i say?
We had a BBQ at the beach with erica one day, we'll never forget... Thank you so much again! :)

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2017

I booked this B&B mainly for the pics I saw on trip advisor & other online search engines, in addition to their website. After visiting in person, I can tell you the pics were professionally taken with tons of light. The rooms in person are very dark. There are actually 3 lights in the (shockingly small) bedroom, but even with all of them on, the room isn't near as bright as one would think. I had a hard time plucking my eyebrows, seeing my face close up with the dim light (even in the bathroom).

They advertise "A/C", but I found that to be misleading. It is true that there is an air conditioner in the room. The misleading part is that even though it appears to be on (it made noise), the room was uncomfortably hot my entire stay. It was cooler outside (and it was 90 plus degrees) than in my room. I understand this is CR and it's hot.
I stayed elsewhere for 3 nights as well and they managed to cool their rooms with A/C, so I don't think it's just the area. It could likely be significantly improved. There is also no common area that is indoors. So if you want to rest and chat with others (although this is a very small B&B so you won't really encounter many others), you have to do it in sweltering heat, while being eaten by mosquitoes.

No restaurant on site, but there is one next door. It's ok, nothing special. Best places to eat are a short bike ride to Puerto Viejo city center. I wouldn't bike after dark though (people drive CRAZY and the roads are very narrow). It's difficult to see bikers.

I didn't get soap in my room until my last day. I'm not sure why that isn't customary at this price point, but it wasn't for the 1st 2 days. The shower head they have to wash your feet after a day at the beach has limited water pressure, so it doesn't actually wash off any sand. If you come to the beach, stop by Tasty Waves (restaurant in PV), buy a drink, and use their outdoor shower to clean your feet. It's a lifesaver. I was told in an email I would have a welcome drink waiting for me. I did not. I received one 2 days later (by chance, right place right time), but it was obvious I would not have received one if I hadn't been lucky. Punta Uva (calm, swim beach) is a really long walk (one hour), but a $5-10 cab ride. Playa Cocles (surf beach) is a 5 min bike ride.

Wi-Fi is very weak. I hard a time using it and it took forever for things to load.

Other reviews are correct, you can hear the common areas and other rooms from inside your room. Not a huge deal, but not much privacy either.

Breakfast was good, although it would be better if a Costa Rican option had been included. I can have American breakfast every day of the week. I would have loved some plantains, yucca, gallo pinto, or something else typical.

Overall, the B&B was ok. It's definitely not bad, but definitely not amazing either. For approx $100/night, you can probably do better. I was underwhelmed.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
EmilyB255, Manager at Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

​Hello ​​Guest,
We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with Physis Caribbean B&B. We take your comments with great consideration and apprieciate your feed back.
When we check our guests into the hotel we like to go over all the details of the hotel and area. I clearly remember when you arrived I asked you to have a seat so I could start telling you about our breakfast times, the tours we offer, our different modes of transportation, where things are located in the hotel and how to use them. Immediately you said "No, I just want my room" you appeared to be upset upon your arrival to the B&B. You commented on how you were dissatisfied with the ​previous ​tour you had taken that day, and I assumed you were not happy upon arrival because of your ​previous ​tour. So​, I​ quickly rushed through your introduction because of your demeanor. I explained that I would need to ​go over ​a few things to you and could you please give me at least a minute to explain. It was then I ​was forced to be ​rushed through my introduction where ​I​ would have shown you all aspects of the hotel. To be honest, you were ​very rushed & perceived as​ rude.
The air conditioner ​in your room does ​work. Our guests that stayed with us after you, did not complain, ​&​ they even ​expressed great delight in the coolness of the room upon arrival intact they booked 2 extra nights because of it. It is possible that you did not have your settings set to cool​ or even had the "fan" setting on & not "cool​"? ​I don't know because you never took the time to ask me about it during your stay. This would have been very beneficial to both of use had you brought it up at the time of your stay & not after your departure. ​This is something I show everyone directly, and you rushed me through it. Also, in my introduction, I express to all the guests that if you have trouble with any aspect of the hotel or room to inform me, and the problem would be rectified immedately. Not once did you tell me your room was not cool​, nor did you mention any other concerns you had about the B&B​. As for the swealtering heat in Costa Rica​, well this is the​ Caribbean Coast​ & during the time you booked your reservation it is expected. ​The temperature/climate is not something we can control and tends to be a highlight for most travelers taking a Caribbean holiday.
​I find it unfortunate that you felt you had to voice all these concerns in a public TripAdvisor review when all you needed to do was walk upstairs to the main floor of the B&B and I could have addressed all your needs & fixed them immediately.​
Management at Physis Caribbean B&B

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocles
4.8 km away
0.5 km away
Caribe Town
Caribe Town
#1 of 8 in Cocles

Been to Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!