Just got back from ten days at this resort. Whilst what follows is not the most glowing review, if you manage to get a good deal (and there are plenty of deals around offering additional free nights) this resort is ideal for families as the Lagoon pool and surrounds cater very much to children.
We booked accommodation/benefits at the Tropicale Club wing thinking it would provide the benefits advertised only to be bitterly disappointed on arrival to find out renovations were being conducted to that area. If a guest wanted to access the free internet and other club benefits they needed to go down to the main lobby area which was at the other end of the resort. As it turned out the benefits weren't that great, for example:
- We had no additional concierge care and assistance
- The all day tea and coffee service was just the same as what is provided in the rooms (no flat whites even though there is a coffee machine waiting to be used or twining's tea - you had to pay for these)
- The daytime snacks were very average consisting of nuts, fruit and mini dried-up sandwiches.
- The nightly cocktails were each guest being allowed 3 drinks of a resort nominated cocktail, Singa beer or South African wine from a 'box'. The nominated cocktails were either Absolut Vodka with pineapple juice and red stuff or Vodka with instant coffee - they were awful choices, not the margaritas or pina coladas one would expect. If you want good cocktails have them at the 'happy hour' and get your beer from the supermarket close to the resort.
- We saw no exclusive daily food and beverage promotions for 'club' guests.
- As mentioned previously the Internet access was down at the main lobby and if you wanted it up in the club area you had to pay additional rates which were very expensive.
- I only saw yesterday's newspapers and no other reading materials and we didn't get the 'complimentary "jet-lag de-stress" neck and shoulder massage'.
- The Tropix rooms were just okay, I can see why they are doing major renovations to this area. The bathrooms were very out dated and a bit grungy.
Before arrival we did email the resort twice requesting a ground floor room hoping that this would give us easy access to the pool. However, we were given a room on the second floor which was better than the ground floor as there were lots of mosquitoes in the gardens. To avoid the mosquitoes and to have a sea view we decided to upgrade to one of the Honeymoon suite's in the Tower. This was a good move even if it did cost us 1000 Baht a night more as the view was great from the seventh floor! The only downside to the suite was a very lumpy mattress that gave us both sore backs.
We had room service once and it was very good and reasonable priced, the resort also doesn't charge for buckets of ice which is nice. We ate at lots of very good restaurants close to the resort - the favorite was the Red Onion, I would love to spend more time in Karon just to work my way through the menu. The breakfast at the resort was good and lots of choices.
This is a 3.5 star resort in a great location within walking distance of the beach and shopping outlets. The resort would be good for a family wanting to enjoy the children's pool and the child centered activities at the Lagoon wing. However, I would not bother with the Tropical Club till the renovations are completed and the benefits improved.
All of the above feedback was given to the management before we left and I did not get a reply, so I look forward to seeing if they post a reply on this public forum.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Karon Town, with an abundance of eateries and entertainment options at its doorstep and Karon Beach a short stroll away, the resort is perfectly located to experience the many facets of Phuket. As a destination in its own right, Centara Karon Resort Phuket fulfils every holiday aspiration, from pure bliss at Spa Cenvaree to active holidays and family fun with activities galore, yoga sessions, three swimming pools, waterslides and a kids’ club. This four-star resort, laid out within beautiful gardens backed by green hills, is comprised of four very distinctive residential zones. Couples and small families will find the rooms and Honeymoon Suites at the Terraces a comfortable retreat, and enjoy the option of ocean view or a private outdoor Jacuzzi; while families and groups of friends are spoilt for choice with spacious guestrooms set moments away from the waterslide and games of the Lagoon pool. The generously-sized one- and two-bedroom Cabanas feature a private terrace with a plunge Jacuzzi. As a fun place for families, the resort has a kids’ club with daily activities and three expansive swimming pool areas complete with three children’s pools for the younger ones to splash in, two waterslides and pool games. Pool parties are held regularly, and other activities include tennis and football. The resort also has two restaurants, a sports bar, and three swim-up pool bars A scheduled shuttle service takes guests from the resort to Patong, and Phuket International Airport is reached in less than one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Karon Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Karon Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Karon Hotel Phuket
- Centara Hotel Karon