“Not Recommended”

Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Start off the trip, I booked 2 bedroom luxury pool villa and requested early check-in, I understand early check in is not always available so my pregnant wife, two small children, and myself were asked to wait 3 hours until 2pm to be checked in, ok. Waited until 2 then proceeded to wait another hour while they checked in literally a bus loads of guests. Asked about my room, told waiting on the the maid to clean. Finally get to the room and I am unsure what we were waiting on the maid to do because the room is filthy! Dirty linens, stained furniture, poor housekeeping. I have still yet to see it properly cleaned after 3 days. I also realize that this is not the room I booked and at this point everyone is tired and frustrated so I decide to wait until the morning to complain. The next morning I walk to the lobby and explain that the room I booked is not the room I received, given a very polite "so sorry sir" and that the room I booked is not available. Told refund of room cost difference would be credited back to me, yet to see, find out at checkout. Outdoor lighting around pool not working, complained 3 times to have fixed, finally fixed when the maintenance crew came to fix the broken air conditioner. The next day we had them back to fix the hot water. The rooms here are poorly maintained, run down, and filthy. by no means is this a 5 star resort, I would give it 2-3 at best. The only thing that kept me from rating this as terrible is the people working here. The best asset this hotel has is it's friendly staff (maybe not the best trained), who assist in any possible way, so for that I will refrain from posting a terrible.

2  Thank brynsmth
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Greetings from Phuket to Pattaya

Thank you very much for your feedback here on Tripadvisor and I am glad to hear that my Team was able to impress you, even if we still have to improve in our service site. I am however truly sorry to hear that other aspects, including the room and especially the cleanliness did let us down and please accept my sincere apologize in this matter. Unfortunately I am not able to to follow up further, as it is difficult to either find out the room you stayed in or from your name id to follow up on the booking made. In order for me to investigate and to understand what happened, I highly appreciate if you could contact me on gmcgwp@chr.co.th for further details. Only if I am aware how it came to the unfortunate experience, we are able to avoid the same in the future.

Thanks again for your comments provided and I am looking forward hearing from you.

Andreas Korf

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

First the good things:
1. massive rooms. Practically a 1000 sqr feet condo with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and a large living room.
2. easy access to the beach (which is not safe for swimming) and the water park
3. Room service food is quite good but expensive
4. Service is good although communication in English was a challenge
5. reasonably priced (about 250 SGD all in per night for 3 adults and 2 kids - not bad)

Now for the bad things:
1. rooms are big but extremely barren. No art work, no clocks, no carpets - I am sure I smelt fresh paint.
2. food at the restaurants is horrendously over priced and poor in quality. The breakfast buffet is ok (how hard is it to screw up eggs) but the evening dinner buffet absolutely horrible and not worth 690 THB per person. The quality of food is what you expect to find in an all-inclusive resort not where you have to pay for it.
3. Aesthetically the resort isnt very appealing and neither are the buildings the rooms are in. Infact from the outside the buildings seem like government housing.
4. There is nothing to do on the resort unless you want to spend all your time at the waterpark.

Bottom line - they pitch themselves as a 5 Star resort, in reality I think probably a 3.5 to 4 star tops. If you want a resort with large reasonably priced rooms and you are ok with everything else being average - then this is the place.

2  Thank SZ1978
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you very much for your comments and I am happy to hear about the good things mentioned, especially about my Team and equally sorry to hear about your perception of our Resort. We are striving to improve our food quality constantly and your comments have been forwarded to our Chef. As for appearance we are working on a decoration program inside to be completed by October and landscaping improvement is ongoing.

Again thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future to show you where we have moved forward.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We just returned from vacationing in Phuket with our friends. What a great time we had! We have three young children (ages: 8, 5, & 3), and our friends have two young children (ages: 6 & 4). We originally booked one of the pool villas, but after learning that two of the smaller bedrooms open up directly onto the pool, (which would not be safe for our children) we asked if we could move into one of the penthouses instead, which we quickly were! The penthouse was a perfect fit for our two families! It was so beautiful and spacious. Plus the pool was really pretty! Our kids enjoyed it so much!!

As far as other areas in the hotel, here is a quick rundown. First, the infinity pool and adjoining children's pool are really beautiful. Second, the grounds are lovely and very well maintained. Third, the breakfast was great! (I still can't believe how well they were able to keep up with providing such a beautiful & large buffet to so many people!) Fourth, our kids loved the water park! What a great bonus this was!! Fifth, you did have to walk a little to get to breakfast or the water park, but the walk through the pretty grounds was so pleasant!! I couldn't understand why so many people were loaded up in carts all the time. Sixth, all of the staff we encountered were very helpful and met all of our requests in a timely manner. Finally, Andreas Korf & his staff do an amazing job managing this very large hotel!!

On that note, before I wrote this review, I quickly glanced over the recent negative reviews. Every time I read one I wondered how each individual could be so unhappy. Did they really stay at the same hotel we did? Reading them actually made me realize that I needed to take some time to tell about how great our great stay was!

All said, thank you Centara Grand West Sands. Thank you Andreas Korf, and thank you Centara staff!!

*Oh yes, we did rent a van while we were in Phuket. This worked out great for us and allowed us to see and do a lot of things that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

4  Thank Amanda5202
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Amanda

Thank you very much for your warm words in your review, which I gladly share with my Team. I am delighted that we were able to provide you and your family with a fantastic vacation and
I sure hope you will visit us the next time back in Thailand to give you another enjoyable and great holiday experience.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Amazingly spacious, beautiful 2 bed apartment with fully equipped kitchen & great views.
Neighbouring internal refurbishments round starting @ 7.30am !!! forget a peaceful lie in.
Water supply switched off almost daily.
Air con stopped working one night.
Multiple pool choice - great but questionably clean.
GREAT free kids club - loved it.
Breakfast - a hugely disorganised bun fight with 100's of Chinese - VERY stressful - lots of pushing, shoving & tables not cleaned or ready.
Splash Jungle - great - but swim up pool bar filthy & smelly with lots of algae.
Apartment blocks ignored international fire regulations.
Stairways with dirty dishes sat there for days on end.
Many staff did not speak English - this resort is aimed towards Asian customers (the minority of Westerners spotted complaining in Reception).
Toilets in restaurant area with no hand washing water & no toilet roll every day (with staff also using them) !!!
If you don't mind being on the airport runway - this resort has a lot of potential - but it is not currently run to an acceptable standard for the price charged.
Please also note that some apartments are privately owned & there is nothing the management can do if a private landlord wants to carry out refurbishments above/below you at unacceptable hours.
Different cleaning team visiting your apartment at different times each day - lack of continuity.
Mixed feelings - could be so good - just not sorted yet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Moo

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you very much for your review and I am glad to hear that many aspects of your stay met your expectations and that you found our rooms amazing and the Kids Club great. I am truly sorry for the shortcomings. Many of your points mentioned have been addressed by now, e.g. the pool cleaning is outsourced, English training started and others. However one point I beg to differ, all our accommodations and buildings are fitted with modern fire systems in regulation with local and international requirements and we are inspected up to 3 times a year by an independent safety company, based on UK regulations.

Again thank you for your feedback and I sure hope to welcome you again in our Resort in the future, with improved service.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

we stayed 4 night at poo vila 3 bedroom. Something good something .....
1)The villa is big with good design , the pool is big and clean but jacuzzi is very dirty and out of order.
2)The room facility is good but daily maintainance from house keeper is not professional. ( eg wait until 2 pm for clean the room, and look like the don't change any bed sheet or towel before days )
3) The club is very small with limited food and beverage compare with another centara hotel.
4) Lots of people every morning at the breakfast line (especialy chinese people)
breakfast line is empty after 9.30 for every morning for my family ( what's the hell ? )
5) We had complained about breakfast line with on duty manager but no good responsibilty was detect every morning.
6) The hotel is the middle of nowhere, good if you don't want to go any places.
7) The best of the trip is SPLASH JUNGLE ( fun park with many toys ). You can has the direct access from the hotel everyday if you stay in the hotel ( for free )
8) Many Thai tourist complaint the same as me in Thaiand travel webboard name

PANTIP.COM/BLUEPLANET

Thanks god ,they have many people feel the same like me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sir or Madam

Greetings from Phuket and thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Villa, Water Park and you had a good experience. However I am sorry to hear about the remaining points mentioned. As you stayed with us back in May, we since then did improve a lot of areas you are mentioning in your comment. E.g. the Jacuzzi being removed, the Club moved to a better and bigger location (Villa) and we do serve breakfast now in 2 restaurants, rather than one, which then did increase as well our operations for breakfast and the service.

I hope you will stay with us again in the future to give it a try with an improved Resort. Again thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
6.7 km away
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
30.9 km away
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Been to Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket? Share your experiences!