As a mom of a toddler and tween, (and the first time traveling to Thailand) I was nervous...so I checked out all the reviews and emailed Andreas, mgr at this hotel. He was honest and forthright about the positives and negatives of the resort. He emailed with me several times. He helped me choose a room better suited for our family. He made it a point to meet us in person at the resort. His assistant "Oh" along with the entire staff was very helpful and kind. The resort pre-arranged all our transportation (to/from airport, shopping and excursions).
We stayed in a 3bdrm penthouse suite w/pool. It had a fridge/freezer, washer/dryer combo, jetted tubs, adjustable showerheads from widespread spray to strong stream (important to me), large living room, obviously a private pool, regular sized dining room table, comfy beds, separate temperature controls for each bedroom and living area, and no noise issues while sleeping with the next door neighbor (the airport).
Our vacation was kid-oriented and this hotel really helped us center our focus around our kids.
1. There is a great indoor/outdoor play area for kids (maybe 5 and under).
2. The main pool is an infinity and overlooks the beach. Kids pool does also. There are cabanas and plenty of umbrella tables (no lifeguards). We ate pizza and drank pink watermelon frozen drinks poolside.
3. The beach is less than a minute walk from the pool. Soft sand, shells to collect and great sunsets. Unfortunately, the surf breaks at the shoreline and the water does drag you back in a bit with a steep slope into the water (no lifeguards). *Also, there are wild water buffalo that migrate daily where the beach and grassy/tree area meet. (We had no issues--mind the kids.)
4. The waterpark has a lot to offer in a compact way. Lifeguards and many workers to help out at slides and jungle area (none at wave pool or artic area--hit and miss on lazy river). Plenty of shade under umbrellas everywhere.
5. The breakfast buffet was plentiful. It was kept well stocked during our visit and we ate around 7:30-8:30am. There is an egg station where they will make to order and many hot and cold items the whole family will like.
6. The main restaurant for dinner was very nice. We ate outside and watched the sun sink into the water...there were a couple musicians (guitar and violin) who also sang which really added to the already wonderful atmosphere. The food was good. We tried the traditional Thai soup (Tom Kha Gai), and other Thai dishes, twin lobster tails and ribs. Enjoyable, relaxing meal. (We didn't eat at the Italian restaurant.)
7. The restaurant in the waterpark was also good, it was refreshing to be able to get a salad and the kid options were numerous. The snack shop at the entry of the waterpark was decorated really cool, it was air conditioned and the ice cream was delicious!
8. We walked everywhere in this compact resort--even the waterpark put everything in close vacinity and there was a lot! There were carts available (think golf cart with extensions to fit 6-8).
9. We took two trips--FantaSea and Siam Elephant Trekking ½ day. Both were an hour or so drive. Vans from the excusions picked/dropped us off. No need for a rental car.
10. For a reasonable, mostest fee, we were driven about 15 minutes North to Turtle Cove where we did all our souvenier shopping (wide range of shops...there is also a diner type restaurant and an English Pub).
We enjoyed our vacation and would come back to this resort.
Greg & Connie McCullough and kids
Zhuhai, China Expats from Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the west coast of Phuket and set in 47 acres of land with 500 metres of pristine beach frontage on Mai Khao Beach, the longest and quietest stretch of beach on this side of the island. Designed to blend in with its ecologically sensitive environment, and has its own green systems that ensure the natural resources of the area are conserved. The design focus of the resort is an extensive water park with swimming pools, a lazy river and waterslides. All rooms, suites and villas are of modern design and are carefully sited to take advantage of the stunning views of the Andaman Sea and Phuket's dramatic hinterland. The resort is only 15 minutes away from Phuket International Airport. ***The resort will embark on an upgrade of our rooms, restaurants and recreational facilities. To ensure there is minimal disruption, the renovations will be carried out in phases whereby refurbishment works will be isolated to the designated areas only. We apologize for any inconvenience.*** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Sands Hotel Phuket
- Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket Mai Khao