“Fantastic Vacation & Treated Like We were VIP's”

Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 16 October 2012

As a mom of a toddler and tween, (and the first time traveling to Thailand) I was nervous...so I checked out all the reviews and emailed Andreas, mgr at this hotel. He was honest and forthright about the positives and negatives of the resort. He emailed with me several times. He helped me choose a room better suited for our family. He made it a point to meet us in person at the resort. His assistant "Oh" along with the entire staff was very helpful and kind. The resort pre-arranged all our transportation (to/from airport, shopping and excursions).

We stayed in a 3bdrm penthouse suite w/pool. It had a fridge/freezer, washer/dryer combo, jetted tubs, adjustable showerheads from widespread spray to strong stream (important to me), large living room, obviously a private pool, regular sized dining room table, comfy beds, separate temperature controls for each bedroom and living area, and no noise issues while sleeping with the next door neighbor (the airport).

Our vacation was kid-oriented and this hotel really helped us center our focus around our kids.
1. There is a great indoor/outdoor play area for kids (maybe 5 and under).
2. The main pool is an infinity and overlooks the beach. Kids pool does also. There are cabanas and plenty of umbrella tables (no lifeguards). We ate pizza and drank pink watermelon frozen drinks poolside.
3. The beach is less than a minute walk from the pool. Soft sand, shells to collect and great sunsets. Unfortunately, the surf breaks at the shoreline and the water does drag you back in a bit with a steep slope into the water (no lifeguards). *Also, there are wild water buffalo that migrate daily where the beach and grassy/tree area meet. (We had no issues--mind the kids.)
4. The waterpark has a lot to offer in a compact way. Lifeguards and many workers to help out at slides and jungle area (none at wave pool or artic area--hit and miss on lazy river). Plenty of shade under umbrellas everywhere.
5. The breakfast buffet was plentiful. It was kept well stocked during our visit and we ate around 7:30-8:30am. There is an egg station where they will make to order and many hot and cold items the whole family will like.
6. The main restaurant for dinner was very nice. We ate outside and watched the sun sink into the water...there were a couple musicians (guitar and violin) who also sang which really added to the already wonderful atmosphere. The food was good. We tried the traditional Thai soup (Tom Kha Gai), and other Thai dishes, twin lobster tails and ribs. Enjoyable, relaxing meal. (We didn't eat at the Italian restaurant.)
7. The restaurant in the waterpark was also good, it was refreshing to be able to get a salad and the kid options were numerous. The snack shop at the entry of the waterpark was decorated really cool, it was air conditioned and the ice cream was delicious!
8. We walked everywhere in this compact resort--even the waterpark put everything in close vacinity and there was a lot! There were carts available (think golf cart with extensions to fit 6-8).
9. We took two trips--FantaSea and Siam Elephant Trekking ½ day. Both were an hour or so drive. Vans from the excusions picked/dropped us off. No need for a rental car.
10. For a reasonable, mostest fee, we were driven about 15 minutes North to Turtle Cove where we did all our souvenier shopping (wide range of shops...there is also a diner type restaurant and an English Pub).

We enjoyed our vacation and would come back to this resort.
Greg & Connie McCullough and kids
Zhuhai, China Expats from Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Room Tip: Get the penthouse or largest you can afford...it makes the vacation more enjoyable to have space to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Connie_McCullough
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Connie and Family

Warm Greetings from Phuket and thank you ever so much for your kind and warm review and I am truly happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us. I do remember the email correspondence, especially about the baby cot. I am only sorry that we did not have time to talk more, but I could see you enjoyed your holiday and were busy with your planned tours and the kids. I am glad that you got in touch before and that we were able to look after you and your family so well.

Again thanks for your kind words and we are looking forward to welcome you back here in our resort in the near future and hope we find some more time to chat.

With Best wishes from the Island

Andreas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed it very much. The beds were SO COMFY, would happily go back just for that. The bath in the room was quite good as well. However the room was quite small, wouldn't be so bad if your a couple but 2 friends travelling together, it was a bit small. It that was ok though, as we spent the whole day at the Splash Jungle Water Park - we you get free entry to. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant which we both enjoyed. The breakfast was also very good.
Best thing is its so close to the airport - so for our morning flight we didn't have to get up too early.
The grounds were very clean and tidy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Sir or Madam

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you ever so much for your warm review and I am sincerely happy to hear that you had a good stay with us. Yes the beds are very nice indeed and we have a lot of good comments about their quality. Glad to hear that you fully enjoyed the Waterpark and that our Italian Restaurant and Breakfast was very good and met your expectations.

We hope to welcome you back soon in our Resort to enjoy the Waterpark and beds a bit longer.

With Best Wishes from the Island

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Disappointing:
- 65 sq.m. for Deluxe room is a JOKE! Totally rip off! I have stayed in a 45 sq.m. room and it's even BIGGER! Here, I'd say 30 sq.m. and that's it.
- Deluxe room is just a connecting room for Deluxe suite!
- Almost an hour dealing with front office to explain how deceiving it was- I was even asked for the source of this size info- please check your own website, and please stop deluding people.
- Buggy never came, unless you started from the lobby.
- Dirty room upon arrival! We checked in 1 hour later (standard check in time is 2 pm)

Satisfying:
+ Free entrance of Splash Jungle
+ Comfy bed! - we slept well (in the new room)
+ For us, location is excellent- away from the crowd. Though a bit noise from the runway, but it was fine
+ Various buffet line, not the best though

Eventually, we got upgraded to a bigger room, however, it took like an hour to get this done.

I'd never come back, or would rather stay at neighboring hotel like Holiday Inn Maikhao!

After all, what does 5 star really mean?

Room Tip: Avoid Deluxe room if you do not want to feel like sleeping in a box, you've been warned! Or eas...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you very much for your review here on Tripadvisor and I appreciate your positive comments, however naturally I am truly sorry to hear that our rooms did not meet your satisfaction. In average our deluxe rooms feature around 65 sqm of total space, this might vary a bit due to location of the room, like corner, stair case etc. Please don’t forget that the complete area is measured as living space, meaning rooms with corridors might appear smaller than they really are. To call it a rip off, its not justified and rightly as you mentioned all our guests have free entry to the Waterpark .

Again thank you for your comments and I do wish you a great stay at the Holiday Inn next time your plans bring you to Phuket. This is not meant to be negative, as I honestly only wish for any guest arriving in Phuket to have a great Holiday and if we are not the place, I truly wish you can find the one which meets your needs.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 October 2012

From the time we arrived to the time we left we were treated as family, the resort staff and management were always helpful they catered to our every need. The deluxe room we stayed in was very well appointed, clean and fresh. The hotels ammenities are excellent from the pool to the water park to the kids club, my son absolutely loved the water park. We would definately recommend this resort to our friends.

Kind Regards

Mark Chiciak

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark C
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear Mark

Warm Greetings from the Island

It was a pleasure meeting you and your family here at the Resort and I am truly happy to hear that you had such a great time with us. I certainly will pass on your comments to my Team for further encouragement.

We all hope to welcome you back soon and please bring some cakes next time you visit.

With Best Wishes

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Yes this hotel is isolated and next to the airport but nevertheless my husband, my 2-year old son an I loved this hotel.

We had booked a room with separate bedroom.
Our room was located in block 6 and overlooked the aquapark. The rooms are large and modern but sober.
As the rooms have floor to ceiling windows my son stood gasping at the aquapark every morning.

Altough the hotel is next to the airport, the noise of the airplanes did not bother me.

I do not think that the food is overpriced, but drinks are rather expensive. But than again what do you expect in a 5-star hotel?
We received a few bottles of water in the room every day since you can not drink water from the tap.
For breakfast there was plenty of choice: Western and Thai dishes, warm as well as cold. There were serval kinds of cereals, fruits, pancakes, french toast, rice, bacon,...
For dinner they offer a buffet 3 times a week: Italian, BBQ and Thai. It is true that there are almost no alternatives in the neighbourhood.

The guest of the hotel came of alle area's of the world: China, Japan, Thailand, Russia, USA, Australia, Europe,... This is nice because I absolutely hate those hotels were the majority of the guests come from the same country.

I can understand that some people are dissapointed about the service and style of the hotel. There are 5-star hotel with more personal service and more beautifull rooms.

We were very pleased with our stay in the hotel and we will come back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Jessy

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you very much for your lovely and very fitting review of our Resort and I sincerely happy to hear that you had a great time with us and your husband and son loved it, especially the view to the Waterpark... We are aware that we still have to get better and honestly comments like yours are highly appreciated from my Team as it shows we are on the right way and getting better.

Again thank you for your feedback and we are all looking forward to welcome you back soon.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

6.7 km away
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
5.7 km away
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket? Share your experiences!