“Not great ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Glenbarr
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

I gave this place a 5 star rating last year, but my recent visit was very disappointing.

In our party of 3, one wanted a burger. 'No burgers' (a friend visited 2 days previously, and they had no burgers then either). 'No ham' for the Ploughman's lunch.
So one of us had a black pudding and Brie panini - with not enough black pudding - and two of us ordered the savoury tart, which turned out to be a small slice of quiche, served with salad, and a greeny/brown sludge in a small jug. Salad dressing? We had never seen anything like it before, and would be happy never to see anything like it again.
And it was expensive.

What a disappointment.

1  Thank CCowan
Zofija S, Manager at The Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Mr. Cowan,
I'm very sorry that you had a disappointing visit to the cafe recently. There is no excuse for having no burgers on the 2 days that you and your friend visited; I have discussed this with my colleagues and we shall make sure that this is not the case in future.
The lack of ham for the ploughman's was to do with a supplier issue - we bake and glaze it at the cafe but don't produce it so when our suppliers failed to deliver and then delivered out of date ham we had no option but to only offer a cheese ploughman's - very nice local cheese but just cheese none the less. We now have ham and will endeavour to always have it available over the summer as long as our suppliers deliver.
The Mull of Kintyre Cheddar and Leek savoury tart - quiche or flan - again I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, it's always very popular; the salad dressing - thank you for your comments we shall make it a little more fluid in future.
I do hope that you will visit us again so that we can offer you a more agreeable lunch. Our guests are always welcome to ask for extra ingredients in their panini's, etc we are always happy to accommodate any reasonable requests.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Have visited the cafe a few times and the food is excellent. I would definitely recommend the savoury tart.

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my relaxed lunch here with family. We all loved our burgers and sandwiches and there are friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. The shop attached is worth a look too! Pop in here for lunch or tea and cake and you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 1 January 2017

Delicious food whenever we have visited, Huge portion of salad given with local produce available. Friendly staff and good atmosphere

Reviewed 15 September 2016

Cafe carries a small range of Paninis, baguettes and soups as well a home baked cakes. £7.95 for a burger is a bit pricey but we didn't try them so cannot comment on value as such.

Zofija S, Manager at The Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

Thank you for your review, I think you may have mis-read the menu as our burgers, which are made from local (our own) Highland Beef are made fresh in the cafe and are only £6.95 served caramelised onions, salad and a selection of our home-made chutneys and chilli jam.
All our other menu items: Panini's, filled rolls, Jacket Potatoes, home made savoury tart with local Mull of Kintyre Cheese and leek and our Topside of Highland Beef in a Ciabatta are made in the cafe too. We don't do baguettes I'm afraid but our home made soup is served with bread that we make daily in the cafe.
Perhaps we may be able to tempt you with something next time you're in the area?