“Not great ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Glenbarr
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

I gave this place a 5 star rating last year, but my recent visit was very disappointing.

In our party of 3, one wanted a burger. 'No burgers' (a friend visited 2 days previously, and they had no burgers then either). 'No ham' for the Ploughman's lunch.
So one of us had a black pudding and Brie panini - with not enough black pudding - and two of us ordered the savoury tart, which turned out to be a small slice of quiche, served with salad, and a greeny/brown sludge in a small jug. Salad dressing? We had never seen anything like it before, and would be happy never to see anything like it again.
And it was expensive.

What a disappointment.

1  Thank CCowan
Zofija S, Manager at The Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Mr. Cowan,
I'm very sorry that you had a disappointing visit to the cafe recently. There is no excuse for having no burgers on the 2 days that you and your friend visited; I have discussed this with my colleagues and we shall make sure that this is not the case in future.
The lack of ham for the ploughman's was to do with a supplier issue - we bake and glaze it at the cafe but don't produce it so when our suppliers failed to deliver and then delivered out of date ham we had no option but to only offer a cheese ploughman's - very nice local cheese but just cheese none the less. We now have ham and will endeavour to always have it available over the summer as long as our suppliers deliver.
The Mull of Kintyre Cheddar and Leek savoury tart - quiche or flan - again I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, it's always very popular; the salad dressing - thank you for your comments we shall make it a little more fluid in future.
I do hope that you will visit us again so that we can offer you a more agreeable lunch. Our guests are always welcome to ask for extra ingredients in their panini's, etc we are always happy to accommodate any reasonable requests.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

A regular stopping off point for us for lunch - or just coffee & cakes. A wander round the garden centre followed by a relaxing snack is just a lovely relaxing day out. There is always a nice soup on, local produce used and home made cakes that I just love. Especially the Cernic - Polish Cheesecake, when there is any left. Friendly, welcoming staff too. Finish off your visit with a look round the shop - always some exciting food to purchase here from around the area.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Very nice place for lunch or coffee and cakes but the highlight for me is the hot chocolate. It's hot and chocolaty something that most places seem to miss. Best hot chocolate in a very long time.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

I Eat here at least once a fortnight I find it very relaxing, food is great the staff are very friendly and always make me welcome they make the effort to ensure that you enjoy your meal

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Been coming here for years and have to say the new owners have certainly raised the bar in terms of both the garden centre and cafe. Plants are beautifully presented and everything well organised. Filled rolls and cakes are superb and act like a magnet to draw you here at anytime of the year. Fabulous and well worth a visit.