See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 August 2013

First of all I have to say that Garry was very helpful and cheerful both on arrival and during our stay. Marian however appeared to take an immediate dislike to us.
The room was spotless and the bed was very comfortable. I was surprised on reading other reviews to find that not a single biscuit was on offer with the tea making facilities. Milk was supplied in a small container to keep in the fridge. There was sufficient for a cup each and another in the morning, leaving a tiny amount in the bottom of the container. I took this downstairs when going for breakfast next morning. On our return later that day we were handed the container refilled and told that we should leave it in the fridge and it would be attended to during the day. When we arrived back on the following day the container was in the fridge, still with only a tiny amount left from the morning. My wife went down to get more while I made the tea. Marian looked into the container and said ‘there is still some left’, my wife pointed out that there was insufficient for two people. A tiny amount was added to the container, sufficient to make a cup each. I took the container back downstairs later and asked for some more, ready for the next morning. I was given sufficient to make a cup each the next morning. On our return on the Friday day we saw that the tea sachets and sugar had not been replaced, and more milk was needed. All that was in the box was brown sugar, and three sachets of normal tea, and some Earl Grey which we dislike. I asked for another sachet of normal tea so that we could have a cup each and one each in the morning, and was told that we had had all that there was, and no more was available. I asked for white sugar and told that that was also unavailable. I thought that rationing ended in the 1950’s, and quite what she intended to do should anyone else stop for B and B on Saturday morning, was beyond understanding.

Breakfast the first morning was the usual cereals and juice and fruit. The cooked breakfast consisted of a rather small rasher of bacon, a small fried egg, a single medium sized mushroom and half a grilled tomato. No sausage or beans were offered. Toast was supplied but no jam or marmalade. I called Marian back after she had left our breakfasts and asked for sauce and ketchup. The next morning in order to save her having to come back, as she put our plates down I asked if we could have some sauce please. ‘Let me put the plates down first , I can only do one thing at a time’ she retorted. Hardly the way to treat customers. Trying to be helpful, I had put my juice glass into the cereal bowl ready for her to take away. She removed the glass and thumped it back down on the table, so much for being helpful.

On the Friday morning we saw that another couple had arrived and come down to breakfast. That morning the bacon ration was doubled and marmalade was put out. Marian was VERY chatty and friendly with the other couple, completely different to the offhand way we had been treated.

Although as I said, the room was spotless on arrival, the bed was not made up on a daily basis as is usual in hotels and guest houses.

As already said, I just cannot understand why Marian was so indifferent to us, and so unsociable right from the time we got there. Maybe she was upset because we arrived at 3-30 instead of after 4 PM.

Unfortunately, the house is also right on a very noisy road, so sleep quality suffers badly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith and Jean J
chocomocco, Owner at Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

I have never had complaints about my breakfasts from anybody before as I offer fruits, homemade cereals and other things. Milk is put into a a 500ml container for the fridge which is given to the guest virtually full. I cannot please 100% of people 100% of the time although I do try. Unfortunately there are those that revel in complaining about where they stay, where they have stayed, where they have eaten in previous pubs at their previous accommodation, telling all the other guests about their ailments which is not conducive for a pleasant breakfast experience for the other guests. We are on the A48 which is very apparent by the location finder and details on our website.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Love this place!
Stayed here twice now.
Pub within walking distance (with pool table and great beers)
love the owners!
their cats are excellent too!
lots of great advice!
...and the breakfasts are excellent!! Eggs Benedict! yum!

Room Tip: Only stayed in top floor but love that room! low ceilings look cool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed for two nights, in mid July.
Having travelled over from Winchester, in heavy rain and with the intention of tracking wild boar in the Forest of Dean.

This guest house was a great find 'on the net' and exceeded expectations: well priced often means compromise - not so at 'Old Nibbers'.

Lovely, dual aspect room, spotlessly clean and with good facilities, worthy of many a hotel costing twice the price.

Genial hosts and even the cats are friendly!

A nicely prepared breakfast, just added to the positive experience.

I can't fault the professionalism and even the most fastideous would be pushed to critise the high standards of cleanliness and crisp, clean bedding.

Recommended and I for one will be returning in the Autumn.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank bonefish20
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stopped for tea and scones on our way pass. We were shown into the sitting room and it was lovely. However the scones were microwaved and the jam and cream had been smeared on it for us. I'd assumed we'd get out own pots to help ourselves. It cost £8 for two cups of tea and two substandard scones. Ignore my room rating as we didn't stay overni

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Hammyheartsdreamies
chocomocco, Owner at Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

I can only apologise for their experience but I have always had a good response from tea guests, many returning for more. All my cakes are home made with the best quality ingredients including flour from Shipton Mill at Tetbury, and the scones are very popular. I do have other cakes as well all the time, ie, fruit cake, chocolate cake, a fruit streusel, (amongst others) and these are always fresh, so scones are not the only choice but because they do not stay as fresh as long as large cakes I will freeze them on the day of baking them which is why, if someone wants one, I microwave to defrost them. If you go to my website you will see photographs of the cakes I make and also a short video of a recent vintage tea party I held showing quite clearly what the scones look like. The 2 pages are Afternoon Tea uder the heading Food, and Occasionally Tea.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My partner Steve and I stayed at Old Nibbley for three nights whilst taking part in a local 53 mile walking event in the Wye Forest. Marian was more than helpful and thankfully offered us a late breakfast after the event as we didn't arrive back until early hours of the morning. Room was small, full of character and exceptionally cosy with lots beautiful tolieteries and a wonderful shower with plenty of hot water and fluffy white towels. The handmade soap was wonderful. Lovely pub serving wonderful food across the road 'The cock' was the jewel in the crown for what was a wonderful weekend.
Thank you Marian and Gary, for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Don't reckon you'd find fault in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple