“Disappointing customer service”
Review of Bodkin House Hotel

Bodkin House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Badminton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 October 2017

To be clear, because of awful extenuating circumstances we weren't able to make our reservation here however, I'm still leaving a review because of the poor customer service in dealing with the issue. It was so disappointing that despite still needing to re-arrange this trip, we will definitely not be staying here.

We're a family travelling with a 3 year old and an 11 month old baby. My youngest child had shown signs of not being very well so I contacted the hotel directly the day before our scheduled visit to ask about any potential issues that might arise if she's crying in the night which seemed quite likely. The man I discussed this with was quite grumpy and said the walls were thick and not to worry about it but I would have to speak to booking.com directly if I wanted to change the reservation. We were admittedly within the 48 hours cancellation forfeit period so I would face the full room charge. Honestly, when you're away with a young child who is ill, its actually very hard to be unconcerned about other people staying and disturbing them, it can be very stressful!

Subsequently, my daughter became much more poorly over the course of the day to the point she was admitted to hospital that evening. Whilst there I contacted the hotel again directly to explain the situation and ask if they would consider not charging us for the room because of the somewhat extenuating circumstances. I have to this point not had any reply even as a courtesy and we have been charged. Their cancellation policy was clear and they didn't have to do us any favours, but I'm just very disappointed at their total lack of interest in their potential customers.To not even bother to respond these days is really bad. We would have re-booked for another date in the next few weeks as this is still a trip we need to take but we will avoid this place now.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Bodkin House Hotel is a beautiful hotel. It’s very cosy with a Bar and restaurant. It’s in a lovely location. There’s a very large children’s play area. We stopped here for Sunday lunch this afternoon. The service was great..friendly staff. The food was delicious and the portions were generous!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Me and my other half visited the Bodkin earlier this year before a long drive back to Birmingham after visiting family in Badminton. We walked in to find an empty reception so after a few minutes we proceeded into the Bar to find an older man (presumably the owner) sat talking to some people whom we assume were regulars. Approaching us to greet us seemed like a real task and he did so without any warmth. After asking if we could eat, he asked us if we'd booked which was rather laughable since there's was nobody else in the building aside from him and his noticeably drunk friends at the bar. We are a gay couple and as we were led to be seated, we heard some muttered homophobic comments from the men at the bar which seemed to entertain the manager/owner based on his chuckle as he led us to our table. We were sat in the restaurant which we found to be very well presented and we were happy with the menu and swiftly ordered as we were just making a quick stop. Our food arrived in good time and we enjoyed it. We weren't once asked if everything was ok or whether we'd like any more drinks/desserts, though! After politely waiting for 10 more minutes for somebody to give us the bill, we proceeded back to reception which was again unattended. We waited a further few minutes (its a good job we are honest people as walking out without paying would have been a very easy job!) The same grumpy man strolled over finally and we explained we'd like to pay. We felt very uneasy again as this man just has such a cold aura! We felt terrible unwelcome. When I removed my credit card from my wallet, I explained that the card may be temperamental as it was slightly bent, to which the manager/owner thought it was appropriate to quip: "Everything here is rather bent, isn't it!?". We have dealt with far worse in our life and he clearly thought he was hilarious but I hope he realises that in order to have 'Banter' with your customers, it would be beneficial to not present yourself as a miserable old sod who has zero interest in new custom.

A real shame as the location, building, decor and food were all beautiful. All let down by a pompous prat with a medieval sense of humour and miserable attitude. May we add that we are both 24 years old and haven't felt mocked in that way by a group of boys since we were in the classrooms during secondary school. Shocking!

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here through work, the hotel is situated in a peaceful village but alongside a main road, that said, great effort has put into ensuring the road noise is reduced to an absolute minimum. The rooms are clean and spacious and the hosts Don and Eilean are welcoming, they exude a relaxed feel and try and make your stay a homely pleasant one.
The food is good and you have a choice of 2 menus,bar and Al a carte. My only criticism would be the breakfast start time for those staying for work, breakfast starts at 7:15 which is when most businessman are leaving to travel. Be warned there ia no phone signal and the wifi is limited at best. All said and done I would use this hotel again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Mine Hosts were charming, attentive and made us feel very welcome and at home.
Food was fantastic (only managed starters and mains - no room for pud!) All of our meals were freshly cooked with the best ingredients so obviously there was a wait, which we find quite acceptable. Loved the huge open fire and the smart comfortable lounge. During conversations with the owner we found out quite a lot about the hotel and those who had stayed (ie Jane Austen). Would definitely go back and can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Been to Bodkin House Hotel? Share your experiences!