All reviewsthe pubsmoked haddocksunday lunchchurchill armsporkmacaronifish and chipsmoussecrabexcellent wineate herebeef wellingtonchipping campdenwonderful foodthoroughly enjoyed our mealat busy timesstarters and mains
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

My husband had been talking about this restaurant for months and so when we happened to be driving through Paxford he said 'let's try and see if we can have lunch'. I thought it unlikely but we were welcomed in and given a lovely table. The staff were very friendly, making an effort to speak to each table to make them feel at home. The food was really good. I had the smoked haddock soufflé, and my husband had the crab. We enjoyed every mouthful. For main course I had the mushroom and blue cheese pie which was delicious, particularly the pastry. My husband had the fish and chips which was not as generous a portion as my pie but nonetheless was cooked to perfection.
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and I am pleased to say that the Churchill Arms lived up to my husband's expectations.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pascale A
Reviewed 6 July 2017

On the spur of the moment, this afternoon I reserved a table at the Churchill Arms in Paxford. On arrival the first impression very good, with nicely set tables and quite modern in style.

We were asked if we were there for the Fish Supper, (no mention of this when i booked), we were escorted to our table and while we looked at both menus, (from a well presented Wine List), I ordered a bottle of Gavi di Gavi. When it arrived, not only turned out to be a simple Gavi, but also of a different vintage! (2016 instead of 2015). When I pointed this out to the young Lady in charge, (I believe her name is Fiona), not only she insisted that the wine was correct as per list...... but also reacted in a very annoyed and snappy manner!!!

After having spent over 50 years working in the Food and Beverage Service Industry, may I suggest to this young Lady two things: 1) Learn a little about Wines and most of all, about your Wine List! 2) If you are ignorant of basic wine knowledge, then try to be a little more humble, believe me....... it does help!

To be fair the food, (Fish and Chips and Pork T-bone), was well presented and quite tasty and the rest of the Staff, were very friendly and helpful.

Would we come back or recommend? I doubt very much!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank italian186422
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Hands down the best roast I have eaten in the UK. We were there for a Sunday lunch and had a lovely time - good service, good wine and excellent food. It was a little too wet to venture out into the garden, but it looked lovely and would be a great place to spend the afternoon on a hot summer's day.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louis Y
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Sadly on a recent trip to the Cotswolds, upon our arrival at the Churchill Arms, there was no one there to let us into our room when we arrived. When we reserved the room, we were told that the restaurant was closed Monday's, but that this wasn't a problem for the inn. The week before we left home( in the US), we received an email from them, asking our arrival time. I replied back, giving them a estimate of 6-7 PM. We arrived after a long, cold, rainy day to find the doors locked, no note, nothing. We tried knocking on doors of several neighbors, who also knew nothing about our situation. After calling the phone number for the Arms, AND booking.com---neither of which answered the phone, we waited nearly an hour and finally gave up. We were extremely fortunate to get a lovely room in the nearby town of Chipping Camden, at a guesthouse there. My advice : do NOT stay at Churchill Arms on Monday unless you are prepared to scramble last minute if they're not there.

Stayed: June 2017
2  Thank Patty C
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

We visited Paxford after a few years away and were so pleased to see that this pub had reopened and after having one meal we wish we could live nearer!

Food was top notch - from our starters of haddock soufflé and smoked salmon to the T Bone Pork and the Cotswold Lamb it was a taste sensation... exquisite and plentiful yet stylish.
The recommended wine was really tasty and the staff were so friendly and helpful.

Keep up the great work!

Will definitely return again soon.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple