“Disappointing night”

Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Willington
Cuisines: International, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Excellent food and service in beautiful surroundings, with plenty of local ale. We also do are own walking book with six circular walks to suite all.We open all day every day from 10am until 11.30, food is served from 12 until 2.30 for lunch and 6 until 9.30 for dinner from Monday to Thursday and all day from 12 until 9.30 Fridays ,Saturday ,and Sunday.You can look at out menus on our website, we also have many boards that change often and roast beef every Sunday ..
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Have visited here a few times now and been really impressed but Saturday evening with my family was really disappointing.
It's a shame because the food was excellent.
Fish pie was lovely as was the steak pies, lamb Henry, pheasant and chicken.
Unfortunately we had to send two steak pies back because they were only warm at best. When they were returned one dish had chunky chips instead of the skinny chips that were ordered.
Not a good start.
When we got to requesting the desert menu we were handed a menu which had no prices on. We queried this and the tall slim waitress was quite abrupt telling us all the deserts were £5.50. Apologies for asking. How were we to know?
When the deserts finally arrived there was one missing and by the time we informed staff it was too late...we couldn't be bothered to wait.
To be fair it was rectified by deducting one of the dishes.
The final bill was handed to us on a hand written piece of paper which took some working out. No one came to allow us to settle so I had to walk to the bar.
The waitresses need lessons in being pleasant and for goodness sake smile.
One young girl looked frightened to death and seemed more bothered how she looked.
We were one of the last to leave and was shocked when a Labrador dog appeared and walked under our table, in the main restaurant area as well. Aweful.
This was made worse after reading previous reports namely 'Pete B' on 30th Oct being told dogs were not allowed and 'Monika D' on 11th Sept being told pushchairs are not allowed as were dogs not allowed.
And to then read Mike's response from management beginning ' Ok guys get a grip'.
Shocking and so unprofessional.
As I say it's a shame because the food is generally excellent but Saturday was not a good experience I am afraid and I am usually keen to put good reports on trip advisor as readers can see.

3  Thank ChrisChester_England

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Popped in with friends for a quick drink at lunch time. Good selection of ales etc. Friendly staff who were very busy with a party of people on a works do or something. Everyone seemed to know someone here. Large menu should you require a meal. Lots of people eating so must be good. Will drop by again for a meal when next in the village.

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

Called in here whilst walking in the area with my dog.
Walked in the busy bar area where everyone made a fuss of my dog. I ordered a wine and some food and went to sit down at a nearby table.
I was then told that dogs are not allowed inside of the pub!!
I was furious explained that nobody had said anything to me during the first 10 Minutes I was there and I had already ordered food!! I went out side and sat at a table in the cold absolutely fuming and waited for my food!
Luckily the food came very quick!! And what plateful it was!! Lots of roast beef cooked pink the way I like it, plenty of choice of perfectly cooked veg a big Yorkie , beautiful cauliflower cheese, thick skinned roasters and extra jug of gravy. What a delight!!
At this point I had forgotten about my dog and the cold and Woffed the lot!! Bloody gorgeous
I would of given it five stars if they had an area for dogs shame really as it’s such a nice place and close to the sandstone trail where you have lots of walkers (with dogs)
I really hope they would use the small “snug” room to the left of the bar as a “dog friendly” zone then at least when it’s full with people with dogs then it would be ok to turn people away at would probably stop 80% of the negative reviews. Just a tip

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Decent Meal for a couple
Nice Pub with good menu with classics and some great specials on the board
I had the Venison which was slightly disappointing as was over and slightly cold partner had sausage and mash which is was for Sausage and mash spectacular
Will visit again

Reviewed 20 November 2017

A pleasant pub (mercifully,not refurbished or gentrified) with acceptable food but it is a triumph of quantity over quality. Lamb Henry, Liver or any meat dishes - same “gravy” jus with an addition I.e. onions with liver. The portions are prodigious so don’t be lulled into ordering a starter unless you’re a big eater or have been on a serious diet for 3 weeks. No-one in the big eating party of 8 had complaints and the staff were affable and efficient.