US$106
US$128
Aultguish Bunkhouse Ltd(Garve)(Great Value!)
US$77
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Pammy's Family Annexe(Lochluichart)
All reviewsperfect hostsevening meals and breakfastmarcullapoolwestvillage
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here with my grandparents early July and we felt right at home. The owners stopped at nothing to make us feel welcome and everything was attention to detail! Beds where very comfy and rooms a decent size with a bathroom. We opted for the 2 course meal for dinner- (£14) and it was delicious! Comes highly recommend - Scottish salmon and desert was chocolate cheesecake- all home made! Ross was a chef in his past life and you can certainly tell! Breakfast was equally as good with many options. All up really impressed- this should be on everyone's stop overs going up or coming down from the highlands!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eskymo11
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very good value clean and comfortable bed and breakfast with evening meal option. Good food, well presented. Comfortable rooms with tea and coffee facilities and vestibule area for wet clothes (though no drying room as such for the latter). Friendly, obliging owners. Easy stroll to nightly entertainment in the bar of the Garve Country Hotel. Good access for Torridon where we were hill walking. Accommodated our collie for which we are very grateful. Certainly would recommend and return to. We were in Room 3 and yes it is by the road but traffic is pretty light and we were not bothered by any noise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderlust_Scot
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Pros:
Excellent location (5 miles from Contin where I was working)
Fantastic breakfast and evening meal
Excellent value for money
Brilliant customer service
Very friendly owners
Comfortable and tidy room
Vestibule upon entrance to my room (so useful for hill walkers, cyclists, people working with PPE)
Can control heating in room

Cons:
Room 3 is next to the road, may disturb light sleepers.
Room 3 decor was dated
No wifi (however, Didn't ask for access to their personal wireless)
Couldn't get any radio signal in my room

I stayed for 5 nights whilst attending a chainsaw training course in Contin and would highly recommend staying at Birch Cottage. I chose this BnB due to the availability of dinner and I was only expecting to get whatever Ray and Linda were cooking, I wasn't expecting such high class food at a great price.

Dinner was priced at 9, 12 and 16 pounds based on 1, 2 or 3 course meal which is easily cheaper than other options within 15 miles. The food was outstanding, immaculately presented and plentiful. Ray even offered to change the menu for me as I was staying 5 nights, so I was treated to easily the best liver, kidney, bacon and sausage casserole I've had. As a testament to the service provided, I was given a side plate of green veg after Linda realised I didn't like calliflower or carrots which were originally provided - much appreciated!

Breakfast was also very good, I was treated to several options for brekkie including fry up, porridge, omelettes alongside a selection of cereals and fresh fruit.

I was given annex room 3 to sleep in which in hindsight made me wonder why as It was next to the road despite there only being one other guest during my stay. This is one of the areas I could only assign fault, noise from the road was bothersome (not enough however for me to request a room change and I only mention this for really light sleepers out there). Traffic is very light, you are off the main road on the West coast, so it is the odd car and lorry that passes by, there is no constant stream of traffic however vehicles evidently don't follow the 40mph speed limit, so I was awoken 3 times in the early hours by a lorry passing.

In regards to the room, It was very comfortable. I had all the amenities I required; bed which was comfy with plenty of blankets, cupboards/drawers for storage, en-suite bathroom and shower and control over the rooms heating. There even was a small vestibule which was incredibly useful for me for hanging up my wet chainsaw gear and storing equipment. The room's decor and ammenties were somewhat dated but didn't look worn, as an example the TV is old school being a big box of a thing however there was a satellite receiver below so I was (with a bit of tinkering) able to get the usual British freeview channels.

Service was excellent, it was fantastic to get banter in the morning and evening with Ray and Linda. They were really observant of any issues, noticing one night I didn't arrive in my usual shorts for dinner, so offered to put the heating up. Other examples include, providing me with a pint glass for my room and table and lots of water as I don't drink tea or coffee.

Ray and Linda went above the norm, even providing me with sandwiches to take to work which saved me money and meant I had a more enjoyable lunch!

Room Tip: Check if you are in the main house or the annex, one of the annexes is next to the road (room 3) and if you are a light sleeper, you may be disturbed by the light road side traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Myself and friend have been to stay with Ray and Linda on countless occasions over the past few years. Every stay is the same, fantastic food, great company and a comfortable nights sleep.

Each meal is served to a 5 star standard, and all hand crafted. If you are a vegetarian you can expect something particularly exciting and unexpected.

I would recommend Birch Cottage to anyone, one of Scotlands hidden gems.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank IanLorneMacDougall
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Had an overall fantastic stay. Accomodation immaculate. Food amazing. Atmophere wonderful. Linda and Ray welcome you into their home and nothing is too much trouble. The location is fantastic with access to so many places within hour drive either north or south from dolphins to waterfalls. Good location for keen walkers or even if you just want to admire the scenery from the car. Surprisingly the weather was fantastic too for Scotland. Highly recommend. Un rivalled value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends