Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Great trip!

We traveled with Solomon and Go Ethiopia on 21-26 of December 2020. Two families - 4 adults and 5... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
611asyaf
Santa Clara, California
via mobile
One of a kind experience

Reviewed 4 March 2020
innavanspriel
Vollen, Norway
via mobile

All reviews eye opening amazing journey amazing days ethiopia tours take photos bull jumping ceremony tour guide omo valley hitch surma solomon skills hassle operator budget clients monkeys
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 March 2020 via mobile

We have made a trip with Solomon and the driver Kalu from Arba Minch to Jinka for 5 days. Both Solomon and Kalu delivered very professional , yet personalized and reliable service, they are punctual and nothing was too much of a trouble . We felt safe and taken good care of. This trip became our favorite part of our Ethiopian tour and can be highly recommended. Omo valley is a unique place and an opportunity to get one of a kind experience . Solomon helped to take pictures , arranged for us to attend a bull jumping ceremony , made recommendations and really did his best for us to enjoy the trip . He cared and took into account our opinions . If you need a guide for Omo valley we can highly recommend Solomon.

Date of experience: February 2020
Reviewed 12 February 2020

From start to finish, Solomon's professional and personable skills never missed a beat. As a once veteran international tour operator myself, I know well, the hard work, patience and attention to detail that goes into arranging an itinerary amid rural dirt roads of a developing country, and ensuring that your client's needs come first. That you fulfill their travel dreams and ensure that they're ever safe and (reasonably) comfortable at all times.

In short, Solomon Gezu is an exceptional tour operator, and you can count on him to show you the very best of Ethiopia's Omo Valley.

Normally an avid DIY solo female budget traveler (53 countries and counting - ranging from a month in the wilds of Mongolia, to the Galapagos, to hitch-hiking with monks in Nepal), I nonetheless chose to hook-up with another solo lass (Claudia, from Germany - found via the ever helpful LP Thorntree forums) to share expenses for a private guided tour of Ethiopia's Omo Valley. We both dutifully did our pre-trip research weeks in advance - wading through the many guide reviews here on TA, LP, and various travel blogs. We only had a bare minimum of 4 days/3 nts for the Omo and a tight-ish budget.

Initially we contacted another guide that came highly recommended, but email and WhatsApp response from him proved slow and frustrating (e.g. after we'd agreed on an itinerary and even offered to send a deposit, he continually changed the itinerary, and insisted that we change our air to both arrive and depart Jinka rather than the tickets that we'd already purchased: Arrive Arber Minch /Depart Jinka).

So we (wisely) chose to contact Solomon instead. What a difference! Within a few quick emails, Solomon offered us an all-inclusive itinerary that perfectly fit our needs, and even offered us a small discount to keep within our budget. And (unlike many of the other Ethiopia tour operators that insist on 50% - *100%* advance payment) Solomon was fine with just a $200 money order ($100 from each of us) to lock in our place in his (busy) tour schedule, and confirm that our dream trip to the Omo was a reality.
Furthermore... not only was Solomon (and his amiable and very skilled driver, Sita) promptly waiting for us at the Arber Minch airport (with a comfy late-model Toyota Land Cruiser, fully stocked with water, and everything we could possibly need for the tour), but...

Originally we knew that 4 days was minimal to fully explore the Omo, and thus hoped only to visit 3 - at most 4 of our favorite tribes. But thanks to being so well-connected (he's a member of the Ari tribe, grew up in Jinka, and speaks ALL the different tribal languages), Solomon managed to get us to *SEVEN* different tribes (the Dorze, Konso, Mursi, Bana, Hamer, Karo and Ari) during our short tour - including the Hamer market and a most amazing bull-jumping ceremony, with TWINS!

And none of it felt rushed or "touristy". At most every stop, it was just the 4 of us (Claudia, me, Solomon and our driver) with plenty of time to linger with the locals at each tribal encounter. We were also very impressed with the quality of our accommodations (though we expected that we'd share a room, we each had our own room with private bath, throughout). And even nicer - all meals were included and... we could order ANYTHING we wanted off the restaurant menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Solomon also took care of all entry fees, and all photo payments, so we never had to hassle with nickles 'n dimes (well o.k. birr) for the entire tour. We could photograph freely no matter where we went, and Solomon works so closely with each tribe that there was never any feeling that we were imposing on the local's privacy. Even better, Claudia and I each had both a phone and camera of course, and Solomon was ever at the ready to take control of our phones and shoot candid images of us at every turn, so we have multiple viewpoints wherever we went.

What more can I say? Thanks to Solomon, we simply couldn't have asked for a better tour of Ethiopia's Omo Valley. My advice to you? Head directly to his Go Ethiopia Tours Facebook page or website, and contact him. You can be confident that you'll be in the best hands, and your Omo Valley tour will be the most wonderful possible.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed 21 January 2020

My Ethiopia Experience!!!

WOW where do I start...
Well first of all i am a female solo traveller. Pretty much everyone one that I know was asking me, aren’t you scared going by yourself to Africa? So yes everyone was worried. I have to say not once did I feel uneasy or scared. Thanks to the people at “Ethiopia Tours” the tour guide I chose. I want to say Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this trip an unforgettable experience, you guys really made this a trip to remember! A special thanks to Solomon, my guide. Very good at what he does, a real people person and very attentive, always paying attention to what you need and want and making it happen! Great Energy. In only 10 days I manage to see 9 tribes and so much more.
Dorze Tribe
Dasanech Tribe
Nayngatom Tribe
Karo Tribe
Konso Tribe

So much to see and experience from all of these interesting yet beautiful tribes.

I visited the Dorze tribe that lives in the mountains, they dressed me in there hand made cotton clothing, made a type a bread from bamboo for me right in front of me as a welcome gift, we sang and danced together, welcomed me into there homes and taught me about there culture.

I visited the Arbore tribe where I had a marriage proposal lol and also got to learn how they live.

I visited the Mursi Tribe one of my favourites, this is the tribe that wears the lip plates, you gotta see this! Here I watched them as they made the local beer from scratch, with another marriage proposal lol. Here they have no eyelashes, they were infatuated with mine. Well I also have tattoos and some piercings with my hair braided long, so I was pretty much something out of this world to them, lol

I visited the Ari tribe, this village completely different from the others, very organic, grow everything from bananas, corn, coffee, sweet potato, u name it. They are also blacksmiths, they make tools and clay plates for cooking to sell to the market, here they taught me how to make Injera, mine didn’t turn out too well, I tried lol.

I Visited the Hammer tribe another one of my favourites, this is the tribe that uses the clay and butter in there hair, they wear these things around there neck to show whether they are the first second or third wife. Here I made so many little friends and a special little girl named “ASI “ I just love her, I had to go back a second time to see her and bring her gifts and treats. They prepared coffee for me that tasted like tea, and we sat and drank it in there home, very welcoming experience, this is the village I slept in, I had my own tent and that was an experience on its own, sleeping outside in the Deep South of Ethiopia, wow! I was also lucky enough to witness the the bull jumping ceremony, where a boy becomes a man, this experience is something else, the women family members of the boy gather sticks to be whipped over and over on there backs by the men to show how strong they want the boy becoming a man to be. Then they do face painting, the ceremony dance and finally the bull jumping. Thanks to Solomon he arrange for me to see this.

I visited the Dasanech tribe, this place is HOT!!! In this village the women are expected to build the house, cook, clean. While the men go feed the cattle, lol I don’t know how I feel about that arrangement lol. You also cross a river sitting in a hollowed out tree, very cool!

I visited the Nayngatom tribe, probably the most colourful tribe with all of there hand made jewelry from beads and skins, which I was also dressed in.

I visited the Karo tribe, where they do the face and body painting, the view while visiting this tribe is amazing, over looking a valley and river. They painted my face here and danced with me.

Lastly the Konso tribe, this tribe wears more modern clothing as to the other tribes, here they grow everything locally like the Ari tribes, the village is surrounded by stone walls, the oldest wall was 700 years old, it’s like a maze walking through very cool. Here I managed to buy some organic Moringa tea and soap they made..

I fed Monkeys, visited a fish market, saw hippos, churches, museums, ate at authentic Ethiopian restaurants, shopped on local markets, listen to great music and so much more.
I don’t think 10 days was enough, 14 to 16 would have been good, or even longer if you want to explore the north.

The trip was amazing, and so many GREAT pictures but what made it amazing was the people I chose to show me there “Konjo” (beautiful) country. Thankyou again “Ethiopia Tours” for leaving my mind full of knowledge, my heart full of love, and my spirit full of life! Thankyou Solomon :)

By the way if you can bring an extra suitcase seeing how your allowed 2, pack it with soap, treats, hair combs pens pencils. They don’t have a lot, I did this and wish I could have brought more. Or when your there buy boxes of soap and biscuits, there not expensive and the tribes will LOVE you for it! Trust me they need this stuff....

Date of experience: January 2020
3  Thank Lala8Pro
Reviewed 3 January 2020

I visited Omo valley on 28 th December until 2nd January with GO Ethiopia tours. The visit to the tribes was excellent and were allowed about 90 with the various tribes. We visited over 5 tribes during the tour., including Mursi.
As a solo traveller I was nervous at first but Solomon from go Ethiopia tours put me at ease. He explained what our daily program would be and service was exceptional. Solomon also spoke all the languages and was very well known in the community completely professional at all times. Ethiopia in the south was spectacular, only thing please remember there are power cuts regularly so keep this in mind. Thank you Solomon for the most excellent trip to Omo valley.

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank Dowtheresa
Reviewed 13 October 2019 via mobile

I spent 1 week with solomon & iared. It was an amazing experiencia. They are extremely professional. Ethiopia was a great experience because of them! I extremely recommend them! Thank you guys!!

Date of experience: October 2019