“A fabulous teacher”

Walnut Grove Cookery School
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional gourmet chef Maynard Harvey is waiting to share with you his wealth of experience and to take your cooking to the next level. Classes are fun, informal and inspirational – with no more than five guests to one chef everybody gets the personal attention they require, regardless of their skill level, with extensive hands-on time in the kitchen. Can also take one non-participant each course to join in with degustation!
Reviewed 10 November 2017

I've been to a number of cooking schools and for me this was by far the best. What I loved was that your were taken back to the basics and taught what made a good meal, rather than just showing what can be done. As a result I now cook with a lot more confidence, and experimentation, as I have a better understanding of how sauces should be made, meat and vegetables cooked, etc, as well as being taught presentation skills. I'd highly recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Dear David
Thank you for your review, and for choosing to come to the Walnut Grove. We are delighted to hear that you are cooking with more confidence and understanding, and it was fantastic to meet you.

All reviews
"week"
"home"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I have a motto, “If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.” At Walnut Grove they do everything right which accounts for how much fun I had. Their 5-day cookery course is a superb hands-on experience where we learned how to prepare, present and partake in classic French cuisine. The course is the perfect balance of acquiring culinary knowledge and socializing.

Each day had us taking more and more responsibility for the final dinner preparation. The best part of each day was the evening meal where we had the opportunity to dine on the delights we had prepared during the day and get to know the other amazing students/guests attending the school.

Maynard and Freya were the perfect hosts attending to our needs and anticipating our desires. Once I take off 10 pounds I’ll be returning, this time to beat Maynard in croquet.

Dear Vinny
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, it was a pleasure meeting and hosting you, we had a lot of fun! We are so glad you found the course beneficial, and I am sure you are enjoying the rewards now, we'll have to meet up again for another game of croquet clearly!!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

The course at Walnut Grove was not only very useful in terms of the techniques and recipes learnt but also enormous fun thanks to hosts, Freya & Maynard who went out of their way to ensure everybody enjoyed the experience. No hesitation in recommending it.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear Martin
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, it was lovely to meet you and we are so glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

No matter what your skill level, this course has something for everyone. While I had some previous training, I was able to improve in everything from knife skills, cooking techniques, developing flavors, and especially plating to make the food look as good as it tastes. Everything we prepared was delicious! I've only been home a week and already have used the skills I learned to improve everyday meals as well as to recreate some of the dishes prepared in the course. Freya and a Chef Maynard made everyone feel comfortable from the start and took care of our every need. The accommodations were wonderful and the area was peaceful and serene. Well worth the very reasonable price. I highly recommend this course.

Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear Greg
Thank you for your review, it was lovely to meet you and we are so glad that enjoyed your time with us and have been able to utilise your new skills at home.
Best wishes with your continuing culinary journey!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This was the first cooking school experience for my husband and I -- and it was perfect. From the knife skills to the plating to the cooking and baking, we learned SO much in an environment that is as comfortable as it is beautiful. Maynard is serious about the lessons without being stuffy and Freya makes you feel that their place is your place. It was a magical week that has our highest recommendation.

Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear Debbie & Jaap
Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to meet and host you both, enjoy your 2 months cooking (and delighting) your friends and family at Lake Tahoe. We look forward to some photos!!
Best regards