All reviews san jose central valley costa rica coffee trail poas volcano coffee plants small pool last night la paz waterfall gardens city lights first stop the hotel offers wonderful hotel close to the airport beautiful grounds comfortable beds fresh fruit
Reviewed 10 September 2018

During my recent trip to Costa Rica, I stayed in 3 hotels in the San Jose area, and although all of them were great, I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Buena Vista on my last night the most, and was regretful that I had not stayed here earlier.

Unlike hotels in downtown San Jose, or closer to the airport, Hotel Buena Vista is set on a a large piece of property with its own nature walk/coffee trail where you can experience a micro-cosm of the ecosystem , with beautiful views of the volcanos, as well as downtown San Jose. My favorite part were all the butterfles (especially monarchs), and I was even fortunate enough to have several hang out on me (literally!) for awhile.

Ed (the owner), and all the staff were welcolming and happy to accomodate your requests.

The hotel is set away from downtown Alajuela, so if you do not have a car, anticipate just hanging out at the hotel (which was fine for me, since it was just a break for me between flights). I had both dinner and breakfast at the hotel, and I found the food to be be good 7/10 stars) - if anything, breakfast had too much food! I did not have any issues, as others have, with raw chicken, dry vegetables - all my food was cooked just fine, and after 11 days of Costa Rican food, I did not mind a break to have more "Western-style" food.

My fantasy is that my entire extended family is able to come with me to experience the beauty and magic pf Costa Rica, and if it happens, I will definitely suggest we stay at the Hotel Buena Vista!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

You have written a very thoughtful review of Hotel Buena Vista. We raise butterflys, and many birds have been seen on the grounds as well. Especially appreciate your saying that the western food was fine. Hope that you com to Costa Rica with your extended family. We will certainly be happy to see you.

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, perfect place to acclimatise with the family before heading to Tortuguero. Super clean and staff very friendly. Lovely to walk around the grounds and see variety of wildlife - butterflies and birds

Trip type: Travelled with family
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Thank you for writing about your stay. The hotel is located on a large plot of land with many many fruit trees and planted with coffee. We raise butterflys which you observed. Guests have also seen many birds of which 102 species have been observed. Am glad that you found the staff friendly and the grounds attractive. Most of the wild life here is people. Have often asked guests if they saw the tiger, but no one so far has.

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

This was our 10th and final Costa Rican hotel, where we chose to stay prior to going home after an organised tour. We did feel at home in many ways. The staff are wonderful - friendly, relaxed, helpful, enthusiastic and caring. We met the owner who characterises the friendliness. Our well-appointed, comfortable and quiet room had a very pleasant balcony so we could enjoy the excellent view. We spent one morning relaxing in hammocks in the garden, watching butterflies and enjoying the sunshine, without that feeling that some hotels create that facilities are there only for show. We hired a very pleasant driver one day ($95 for two) to visit La Paz Waterfall Gardens, about an hour's drive each way, who waited for us for about six hours while we visited. Transfers to the airport are included in the room rate and take about 30minutes. The main weakness of this hotel is the restaurant. Breakfast is included, and is generous in its way, but is table service and fixed menu. Guests choose scrambled or fried eggs, that's it. Everyone is served fruit, eggs with one hash brown (cooked to hard biscuit status), a small piece of cake and a slice of western style toast with butter and jam. We found this odd and old-fashioned. Everywhere else we stayed (none expensive) had a buffet with a choice of juices, cereals, and Costa Rican style hot food, including plantain cooked in sugar, Gallo pinto, sausage, bacon, pancakes, etc. The dinner menu, which we struggled with three times, claims to be "international" but is really odd with little choice, expensive and not good. One day we were served raw chicken; all vegetables are completely indistinguishable and the same on every plate; everything is cooked bone dry. As the hotel is quite isolated, it's not straightforward to find an alternative place to eat. The second downside, less of an issue, is that the decor is rather dated. Overall the people really make this place, but Ed should take a good look at what is going on in the kitchen as "Buena vista" and "Pura vida" or not the food lets the place down.

1  Thank Vanessa K
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Thank you, Vanessa, for reviewing our hotel. You used our shuttle to the airport. Am pleased that you liked the room, the view, and the service of the staff.

Half the quality of a meal is the treatmet received from the server. Am glad that we met that half. As for breakfast we serve it individually. A guest doesn't have to get up and serve himself.We provide a complete breakfast to the table, and it consists of eggs, cheese, fresh fruit,orange juice, coffee, hash brown potatoes, toast and jam. We have two chefs. Their food is usually good, and am sorry that it wasn't in your case.Enjoyed talking with you in the dining room, and hope that you will visit us again.

Ed.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

We stayed there on two separate occasions, once in a hotel room and once in a villa. Beds were very comfortable, villa was pacious with a balcony and chairs. Grounds are lovely, but dinner could have a bit more typical Costa Rican rather than just American. Also the pool was extremely cold when I went in at 10:30am. Very warm welcome and would stay here again.

Room tip: Villas are more spacious than rooms in the main building
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Clairehadingham
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. Remember you and talking with you in the dining room. As for food the hotel has a clientel from America and Europe. Our menu is designed to have dishes for which they are familiar. The hotel is at an altitude of about 4,000 ft. which is nice for views and weather,but the water cools off at night. So if the previous day were rainy the solar system may be slow to heat the pool the next morning. Appreciate your constructive comments, and hope that you will visit us again.

Ed.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

Nice property. Cool rooms. Friendly staff. American owned. Small pool. Breakfast a bit underwhelming and a couple lights out in the room. Otherwise, beautiful views. I'd stay here again. Better than Xandari which has terrible service and is more dated.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
BuenaVistaAlajuela, Owner at Hotel Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Yours is a very helpful review. We will improve breakfast.. There shouldn't have been any lights out in your room which we will address as well. As the resident gringo with a staff of Costa Ricans and Nicaraguans, we are glad that you liked the hotel and would come again. Please do.