“Poor service cold food”

The Green Dragon Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Thurgoland
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Green Dragon is a village country pub serving traditional home cooked food and a great selection of real ales. There's a beautiful beer terrace for sunny days and a log fire for when the weather becomes chilly! We look forward to extending our hospitality to guests old and new!
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I went here for a family meal (birthday party) there were 18 people. A large group I know but they clearly couldn’t cope. Took over 35 minutes from the fist main course to the last to arrive ( they had food order 4days earlier). I had a sirloin steak it was cooked perfectly but put on a cold plate so was cold when it arrived. My wife had gammon which was cold too. Took another 10 mins for any sauces to arrive. This said the starter prawn and Mackerel the dessert sticky toffee pudding was fantastic.

I would not go again

Ian B, Owner at The Green Dragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hello kev_dean_13

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It would have taken a lot less time to speak to me personally. I might have been able to shed some light on what you've written above,

I'll start at the top. How does anything you've written equate to poor service? I'll tell you how poor the service was - me and all my staff flat out in a tiny kitchen with very limited room trying to get all the meals out to you as quickly as we could! That poor service is me personally checking every dish to make sure it's the very best we can offer you. I'm afraid if it isn't then we're not good enough because that was REALLY hard work.

The most important aspect from my part is that the very thing you're complaining about - the wait, was clearly explained to the very lovely lady whose birthday it was. She understood and was fine. I explained that 4 days earlier when she gave me the menu choices. Being armed with menu choices doesn't mean food is cooked any quicker! I told her our restrictions i.e. being a very small pub with a very small kitchen, because, believe it or not, we don't like people waiting. But she insisted on booking with that knowledge.

So ultimately you enjoyed your food - I think 'fantastic' was one of the words you used. But you wouldn't come again?? Ok...

You neglected to mention the amount of people who thanked me personally as they left and said how they thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe they were very good actors. The husband of the lady whose birthday it was also came to pay me. I asked how everything was and he said all was fine. If it had not been to his liking faced with such a large bill, I'm sure he might have had a remark or two!

This has taught us a lesson. Maybe in future to refuse such a large booking. We don't like our hard work going to waste...

Thank you and unfortunately we won't see you again!

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I've eaten here a few times since my last review in the Autumn, and have to say the Green Dragon is becoming one of my favourite places to eat in this area.

On our last visit my elderly mother had a really tasty homemade lasagne, which came with salad, garlic bread AND chips - she hasn't eaten so much in ages! - and I had a very nice fish pie with a good selection of fresh vegetables. Good pot of tea too. And all this for a touch above £20!

Friendly and efficient staff, warm and comfortable pub. Looking forward to my next visit.

1  Thank Claribelle
Ian B, Owner at The Green Dragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hi Claribelle,

Delighted to hear you have enjoyed your visits, always a pleasure to see you! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

A group (approx 20) called in after a winters walk. What a lovely atmosphere and welcome. I will definitely be calling again.

1  Thank JenMc34
Ian B, Owner at The Green Dragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Thanks JenMc34 for your lovely review!

Thank you to all the group for joining us for a drink! Was a pleasure to meet you! Look forward to seeing you all soon...

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Visited with a friend at 12pm on a Thursday. Had fish and chips with a glass of wine each. Felt it was a little pricey for a "light" lunch but the food was lovely. Wine was expensive but that's fairly normal in most pubs. Cosy atmosphere & friendly staff. Would visit again but not on a regular basis.

2  Thank Claire G
Ian B, Owner at The Green Dragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Hi Claire,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you thought your food was lovely! Wow - never had a customer who thought our fish and chips were a 'light lunch'! You must have one mighty appetite! As for the prices, we feel £9.95 for fish and chips is perfectly reasonable. There are a lot of establishments nearby that charge a lot more for considerably less on the plate. As a matter of fact the price of cod has risen exponentially and rather than change the type of fish we use or pass the increase on to the customer, we've worn it, to try to ensure our reputation for exceptional value for money prevails!

If you're passing again at some point it would be nice to see you...

Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Taking my mum out from a care home found this wonderful pub, very friendly Host. Great selection of drinks and food that was truly excellent! Very tasty and good portion size. Will definitely come back!

1  Thank Alan E

Hi Alan,

Pleasure to meet you last week, so glad to hear you liked our pub and you all enjoyed your lunch. Hope your mum is well, we look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Regards,