All reviews st lucia sugar beach rented a car caribbean sea local beach owners and staff the main road stunning views hidden gem tet rouge short drive chicken hotel chocolat sulphur springs tropical flowers grocery store daily excursions
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Soooo, although money wasn’t a deciding factor for us overall, I just couldn’t stomach the price/night at Jade/$1600+, Ladera/$750+, Viceroy $1000+. No matter how much money you have, who wants to waste it?? I read reviews from multiple sites to gather all types of feedback and asked a corporate friend who grew up in St Lucia for advice on where to stay. We also visited these other hotels during various beach visits. Here’s what came out of my research and actual experience this week.

We ended up at Tet Rouge and couldn’t be happier with our choice. It’s a boutique hotel (6 suites) with a restaurant/bar and a pool at the southern base of Gros Piton. If you are lucky enough to land a room you won’t be disappointed.

Every natural wonder worth seeing in St Lucia (Pitons, volcano, cocoa plantations, waterfalls, etc) is in the South, so if you’re interested in these attractions plan on landing at UVF and staying at a hotel in the Southwest region. If you opt for the North, you’ll be spending lots of time and money commuting to the South. Whether it’s by car or boat it’s valuable time wasted. Time is short on vacation so make the most of it; ie, don’t spend it commuting!

The rooms here are VERY spacious and offer incredible views from every corner of the resort of both the sea and Gros Piton looming above. There’s a well equipped kitchenette which we used to store crackers, nuts and cheese and a weeks worth of champagne we brought with us though I could have easily prepared meals there if I choose to. Although I had looked into restaurants to try during our visit, we ended up eating dinner at the resort all but one night. We feasted on Creole chicken and pork the first night and fresh lobster the next three nights! Breakfasts were filling and delicious with a different hot dish offered daily along with fresh fruit, homemade Piton shaped buns, butter and jam. The coffee was good but we prefer a richer flavor so next time I think we’d bring a bag of great roasted beans to share. The seemingly endless supply of tiny bananas and passion fruit were a real treat!

The real draw here, the reason this resort deserves 5-stars, is the service and staff. Sorin and Diana are wonderful hosts who along with Garvin and his team anticipated our every need and fulfilled every request. They arranged taxi service to/from the airport, made sure there were lobsters for dinner, acquired the ingredients and learned how to make us the perfect mojitos and gin martinis, outfitted us with snorkels when we went to the beach and with water and walking sticks the day we climbed Gros Piton. We (the few other guests and ourselves) often took meals at the same time which led to conversations about guest’s experiences of the day and intriguing discussions about life in general.

I really can’t find the words to adequately capture how much we enjoyed ourselves. I recommend Tet Rouge over any other resort in St Lucia. Go - you will love it too!!

P.S. Check out tet_rouge_saint_lucia on instagram for great photos of the resort and staff!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Thank you for your review. We are happy you decided to stay with us at Tet Rouge, it was a real pleasure to host you. We hope we'll see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2018

We stayed at Tet Rouge in November 2017 as part of a very last minute two week holiday in St Lucia. We booked the first eight nights of our trip split between Soufriere and St Lucia but decided to book the last 5 nights once there and we had a better feel for the island. On our first day we spoke to two girls on Sugar Beach who were staying at Tet Rouge who spoke highly of it and showed me their brochure. We decided to book there but could only get 3 nights as it was full the last 2 of our trip. How we wished we'd booked all our nights there - we stayed at other lovely places but this was our favourite for the warm hospitality, the amazing studio, stunning views and excellent food. And the beautiful gardens, the infinity pool, the swim up bar, the cocktails, the other guests to chat to.....I could go on!

The Canadian owners, Sorin and Diana, could not have been more friendly and helpful. They were very interesting people and perfect hosts.

The studio was stunning - a large main room with vaulted roof, then a mezzanine level with kitchen, dressing room and bathroom. There was an indoor bathroom with shower, as well as an outdoor shower. We didn't use the indoor shower as the outdoor one was such a treat. There were beautiful flowers from the grounds on our bed and in the bathroom on arrival. Felt like being on honeymoon - only that was 31 years ago!

There are 6 studios in three buildings. Each is half a duplex but the screening is such that you didn't notice your neighbour. We were in 'Bird of Paradise' which was at one end - the view was amazing but I think the views from all the studios are amazing. The pool is gorgeous - an infinity pool with the backdrop of the Caribbean Sea and a swim up bar. Around and beyond the pool are amazing gardens full of luscious, colourful, tropical plants. There were loads of hummingbirds. It was like being on a movie set that you dream about!

We had dinner there which was perfect - beautifully cooked fish with vegetables. The lady chef (I think she was called something like Pipette) wasn't available the following night as she was working at the Sugar Beach resort. That is one of the very expensive resorts on the island so the fact she is working there tells you what a good deal you are getting having her cook for you at Tet Rouge! All the guests (8 of us) were keen to eat in that next night so Garvin, a local man who manages the staff team, said he'd BBQ. Well what a feast that was! Fish, chicken, vegetables - all very tasty. The previous night I'd asked for a glass of chardonnay but they didn't have any. Garvin and Sorin had got some when out shopping for the BBQ and promptly produced a bottle of my favourite chardonnay of all time - Fetzer Sundial Chardonnay from California. It's hard to get in the UK so I could not have been more thrilled. They didn't know it was my favourite so it was a very happy coincidence but I was so impressed that they'd remembered that I'd asked for chardonnay the previous night at dinner.

The breakfasts were all delicious - lots of fresh fruit and something different every day - bacon, eggs, omelettes, muffins. All the meals are served on the deck area by the bar. There's seating for about 16 people and it's really nice as you get to chat to other guests. Everyone was very keen to chat which we loved as we like to hear about other peoples' trip and where they've been.

Sorin and Diana were really helpful on recommendations for places to visit. We had a rental car so were able to do a lot on our 2 weeks in St Lucia. We'd been there a week before staying at Tet Rouge but we enjoyed as lot of extra places thanks to their recommendations. We went to Anse Ivrogne - the nearest beach. We drove to the start of the path down and then it was about 30-45 minutes walk. We got lost at the end and waded in the river a bit to get to the deserted beach. Saw some naked Rastafarians and a sea snake. It was all a bit of an adventure but we wouldn't have missed it! We also enjoyed Piton Falls a lot. Diana was right - they were much better than the other falls we'd been too. Had a coffee a Zaka's in Soufriere - owned by a Londoner who's been there for year but not lost his accent! And the best recommendation (thank you Diana) was we had lunch at Jade Mountain on our last day in St Lucia. That was great – a view of the Pitons to die for - and no more expensive than other meals we'd had. It was my birthday and was the icing on the cake of our trip.

The location of Tet Rouge is very good - it's on the international airport side of Soufriere. It's about 15 minutes off the main ring road of the island but it's a good road to it. The last few hundred yards or so are on an unpaved road but still good compared to many roads on the island. To get to it you drive around the Gros Piton and get some stunning views of the rainforest and Gros Piton (more so as you drive back to the main road from Tet Rouge). Once at Tet Rouge the back drop is Gros Piton and then the resort faces the Caribbean Sea. It's a little way from the sea but we were thrilled with the location and the stunning scenery all around so being away from the sea a little was fine as the views of it were fantastic.

We're not big on going back to places as there is so much of the world to explore but we're already talking about being able to 'pop' back over to St Lucia and staying at Tet Rouge. It really is that nice. A very big thank you to Sorin, Diana, Garvin and the team who made our stay so perfect - we felt like we'd stayed with good friends and were just sorry it wasn't for longer. We'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank camval
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

It was a great pleasure to have you at Tet Rouge. We are happy you enjoyed your stay, and you have such nice memories of our little resort and St Lucia. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

First lest me start off my saying we didn’t actually stay here. After we missed our flight out New Years Eve me and my wife were scrambling for a hotel. I found Tet Rouge on a hotel website and made a reservation. When we arrived from the airport the owner came up to us and said they actually didn’t have any rooms available and the reservation had been refunded. But of course my phone does not have international data and I was using the airport WiFi and didn’t get the email. It wasn’t the owners fault and I completely understood. And here is where they totally won me as a future guest. He and his wife immediately starting calling other nearby hotels until the found us a room. They didn’t have to do this but they did and that is why I will stay here next time I am in St. Lucia. I can only imagine the level of service for their guests if they did this for someone that isn’t even staying at their hotel. The view is amazing at the hotel and I would assume the service would be top notch with the little interaction I had with the owners. I would recommend Tet Rouge for someone looking for attentive service and a boutique hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and for your understanding. We hope we'll see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

My husband and I just returned from an incredible 6-night stay at Tet Rouge. We were visiting St. Lucia for our honeymoon and Tet Rouge offered everything we were looking for: hospitality, scenic views, adventure, and privacy.

We stayed in the Hibiscus room, the last studio on the end of the property. The Hibiscus room offered fantastic views of the sea and the Gros Piton. We enjoyed spending every morning and evening on our balcony taking in the rainbows, sunsets, and surroundings. The view of the Gros Piton from the outdoor shower is breathtaking as well.

The meals at Tet Rouge are excellent; we dined at their on-site Ti Coco restaurant & bar almost every night of our stay. Their dinner menu included locally caught fish, creole fare, and fresh fruits and vegetables which we thoroughly enjoyed. On Christmas Eve, Sorin, Diana, and the Tet Rouge staff held a delicious barbecue (on the house) which was a nice holiday gesture.

Tet Rouge’s infinity pool is the perfect place to unwind after an outing. We had the pool to ourselves two afternoon’s in a row!

The Tet Rouge staff: Sorin & Diana (the owners), Garvin, Samantha, Melissa, and others, are all wonderful people!. They’re very friendly, helpful, and attentive to every guest!

We rented an SUV from Martin and found that many of the most popular attractions are nearby. During our stay, we visited Soufriere twice, which was about a 25-minute drive from Tet Rouge. If you’re visiting Soufriere, check out Zaka’s Art Café and ask Garvin to arrange a beach-boat tour with Simon Black. Also, hike the Tet Paul Nature Trail which is a short 15-minute drive from Tet Rouge.

We had an amazing honeymoon at Tet Rouge & we hope to visit again someday!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are really happy you enjoyed your stay with us and you had a great honeymoon. Thank you again for being our guests at Tet Rouge.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

After spending some time apart due to work obligations, my husband and I decided to "get away" and take a trip to St. Lucia. The thing that first attracted me to the island were the gorgeous Piton mountains. Spending time in a touristy, crowded resort did not appeal to us so after some research online we found Tet Rouge. I almost thought it was too good to be true. The reviews made it sound wonderful, and the photos of the resort were incredible. Our entire experience was absolutely perfect. The owners, Sorin and Diana, the entire staff and Garvin were so wonderful and attentive from the booking to check out. They went above and beyond to make sure not only our stay at Tet Rouge was exceptional, but our activities around Soufrière were amazing as well. Anything we wanted to do around the area, Sorin and Diana would make sure we were taken care of. I cannot say enough about Tet Rouge. Breakfast and dinner at Tet Rouge was outstanding, and always fresh and local. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, and every morning we woke up to the most amazing view of the ocean that I have ever seen. The beach and the Gros Piton is within walking distance. My husband and I went to the beautiful beach almost every day and we typically had it all to ourselves. The water was crystal clear, and I only saw fish, no jellyfish or any scary sea creatures that we had to look out for. We will definitely be going back to Tet Rouge, it truly is Paradise. We miss it already.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
TetRougeResort, Owner at Tet Rouge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Thank you for being our guests. It was a great pleasure to have you at Tet Rouge and we hope we'll see you again.