“Nice boutique-style hotel”
Review of The Pe La Resort

The Pe La Resort
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Kamala
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We booked with the hotel directly and emails were dealt with promptly. Upon arrival we were greeted by one of our charming hosts, Phil, who took some time to explain how to get to the beach, and the location of shops etc, as well as explaining the hotel facilities, which included use of a PC and printer in reception (handy for online flight check in), and in-room wi-fi (which was a little patchy). We were escorted through reception and the hotel restaurant, which had a lovely colonial feel, to the hotel grounds. Essentially a series of bungalows around a beautiful pool, and a couple of blocks containing apartments. We'd opted to stay in a bungalow, which had a little terrace outside with tables and chairs. Inside was a living room area, with TV, couch and chair, and mini bar. Two bottles of mineral water were provided free of charge on the first day only. The bedroom contained a double bed, another TV, wardrobe with heaps of hangers, and an electronic safe. The bathroom consisted of a nice glass sink in an ante-room, then the toilet and shower together. Towels were changed daily, and pool/beach towels were also provided. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from. The hotel swimming pool was lovely, with a jacuzzi also. There was a little massage hut near the pool, and rather curiously a sauna if you're not hot enough. The beach was around a 15 min walk away, the main hurdle being crossing a fairly busy road. We really didn't mind the walk though. There's a great little laundry literally over the road from the hotel. Breakfast wasn't included in the price, but you can have some in the hotel restaurants - we had an English Breakfast one day and it was both filling and excellent, with the best cup of tea we had in Thailand. The hosts Phil and Henri are very charming, helpful, and customer focussed, and this is one of the strong points of the hotel.
One downside was that 3 out of the 6 nights we stayed there, we were kept awake until 2:30am by the thud-thud-thud of music from one of the bars on the main road. Then at around 5:30am we were awoken by the nearby mosque. Neither of these are factors under the hotel's control, but this did affect sleep quality quite significantly. The hotel would have been ideal otherwise.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happynoodleboy_uk

Reviewed 22 February 2012

What a reception! Upon arrival, we met Henri (who is fluent in French/English) and while walking throughout the resort, he gave us information on the resort and the area.
We were two couples with each a one-bedroom apartment which were spacious and well furnished, although my sister who stayed at 6C was lucky to get a room with King Size bed and a kitchen that was a lot more well equipped than mine at 7C. I did not have a microwave and much less dishes/pot/pan. Thankfully, I was not there for cooking so I did not mind, although I missed having a microwave and truly missed the King Size bed since I I was lead to believe that all rooms had King Size bed, during the reservation process. But aside this small thing, the hotel is marvelous and the host, Phil and Ari (his wife) and Henri are just wonderful wonderful people and you can see genuine interest with their guests well being.
Unfortunately, on our first day, my brother-in-law fell and badly cut his arm. Ari assisted with towels and called Phil right away so he could take my brother-in-law to the nearest clinic. She then called a taxi for me so I could join him and my sister at the clinic. Long story short, he ended up needing surgery and was transferred by ambulance at the Bangkok hospital in Phuket and came back the day after at the resort. During this time, Phil, Ari and Henri did everything they could to assist me and my husband, by transferring call from the hospital to my room and even coming to the pool with the phone when my sister called again.This is not the type of service you can expect everywhere, and in our bad luck, we were lucky to have been at this resort.
During our stay, we ate twice in our room but ended up going for breakfast at the resort, where the food was just wonderful and very tasty with generous portion. The cook is great and full of humor. The setting in the dining room is just beautiful with lots of antique furnishing, high ceiling assorted with large ceiling fans and with view on the great pool. The pictures you see are very accurate and the pool is just beautiful and serene at night. It halso has some jacuzzi jets at one side, so it is very nice to just sit there, with water rumbling around us while having a beer. It is a very small resort and I think that because of this, people tend to be ultra quiet and respectful. Although people would sit at night and have a beer, it was always done in very quiet setting. The only noise that I did not expect was the Mosque Chant that comes 5 times a day, starting at around 5:00am. It did wake us up the first few days, but you get used to it real fast and it is actually a very engaging chanting and very peaceful sound. I ended up waiting for it throughout the day and stopping whatever I was doing, just for the pleasure of listening to it.
After few days, we asked if we could move to one of the bungalow as they were very very cute. Henri found one that was vacate and we moved in. Those bungalows are just super cute and all set in Thai style. The bedroom was big, but still only a queen size bed, but it was comfy. There was a A/C unit in the bedroom (very very quiet) and another one in the living room plus another TV there, although the TV are very old and few of them are not working well at all. But since we did not come to Thailand to watch TV, it was not a big deal for us.
There is something to be said, when you can leave your bungalow and jump in the pool just 25 feet away and then back into bed. It was just wonderful.
There is a bi-weekly market that sets right behind the resort, on Wednesday and Saturday but we never got bothered by it and it closes very early. There are plenty of restaurant around and Henri recommended Oh La La, which turned out to be a fantastic place where we ended up going back 3 times during our stay. There is a brand new grocery store, Big C, within 5-10 minutes walk which had good price and just about everything you might want - including Shinga or Chang, the two most popular beer.
The only disappointment we had was that the beach is much farther than anticipated. We read that it was within 15 minutes walk - which is true if you just want to ''see'' it...but to actually get to it is a good 25 minutes walk. Again, it was not a problem for us since we could walk to it, but nonetheless we did not expect it to be that far as we had planned to be to go back/forth to the hotel to eat or grab a drink. We soon realized that it was not possible. But since the food is pretty cheap anywhere, we enjoyed the beach and the various food vendors there. Lastly, on a personal side note since I am a huge animal lover; while we were at the resort, a female cat gave birth to 6 kittens. Many of the guests took part in feeding and helping her and her kittens. Phil relocated the Mom Cat and her babies in the little Security House at the entrance of the resort where her kittens would be secure when Mom goes out and about. I bought a bag of food, some can food and fed her while I was there and I know that some guests will take over this duty after I am gone and as well Phil and his staff. When I left, Phil assured me that they were going to look after the kittens and when old enough, were going to be bring them to a nearby Temple where the Monk would look after them. Thai people love animals and respect them. I know the cat and kittens will e in good hand. Make sure you drop by to see the babies and help in bringing few cans of food.

A truly nice resort and I was surprise how sad I was when I left. I arrived as a guest and left as friend. The resort, the service, the staff and the owner is what makes this place very special. Thank you Phil, Ari and Henri for your hospitality and to the cook and maid for all their wonderful smiles and assistance. We will miss you.

Room Tip: The bungalow are just so beautiful and it's like your own house, except there is no kitchen at a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pounette166
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Becausse with now 3 children we would need 2 hotel rooms, we were looking for a holiday appartment and found real good value here.
From our porch we could oversee the pools easily and watch our children. The manager / owner was helpful in every respect and very relaxed with everything.

Our kids also voted for Going Back There in case we will visit Phuket again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sabinerebecca
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute because Cape Sienna was full. The hotel looks a bit run down at first sight and our bungalow looked a bit old but is was clean and confortable. We like Kamala so the location was perfect. Food is simple but very good. The staff are extremely helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lcfb
Reviewed 8 February 2012

But not too far away just enough to make a peaceful, relaxing stay. As the other reviews state Henri, Phil & Ari were so accommodating with all our needs and the other staff were just delightful and very helpful. The facilities were all that we needed and the food in the restaurant was excellent. The apartments are large, airy and appropriately furnished.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family