“Great experience ”
Review of Lavender Cottage

Lavender Cottage
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Xinshe
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

It’s located very deep up the hills whereby you can only excess with car.
Nice cooling place with well decorated flowers. Nothing much to do but to admire the nature.
You can but postcards from there and send to anyone win the future..

All reviews
"post card"
"loved ones"
"motion sickness"

Reviewed 10 June 2018

When I came here, I got excited with all the cute signboards. Even their toilet was very clean and aesthetically pleasing because it is open to nature. When you enter, you will need to pay $150 then they will give you a $100 worth of coin. Some people choose to keep the coin as souvenir or you can purchase items or food with it as well. I chose to do the latter and buy ice-cream. Very delicious!

We did a lot of walking because we followed the routes they had. It was tiring but also relaxing at the same time because of nature. Over all, i enjoyed this place because of how I can smell the lavender around me and how friendly the people are.

1  Thank abbieirishm
Reviewed 26 April 2018

A great place to relax and take your time. Serene and calm, it's a wonderful place for all, especially couples and nature-lovers.

2  Thank bjunwei
Reviewed 24 April 2018

The entrance fee was 150 NT per person and you would get a coin each. You can use the coin at their stores and get 100 NT off.

As it was already late afternoon, we decided to grab lunch first before visiting the attractions. Lunch at 森林咖啡馆 was a very relaxing affair. We were surrounded by forests and mountains as we enjoyed our lunch.

We ordered a Lavender & Pomelo Tea 薰衣草香桔茶 (NT$170). It was a refreshing citrus drink with a hint of lavender.

As I was feeling unhealthy from the previous night of snacking in the night market, I ordered the Mushroom Hotpot (NT$360). The soup was light and the guilt of eating all the deep fried food instantly fell away (who am I kidding). There were different kinds of mushrooms in this healthy hotpot, which was served with a bowl of purple rice.

To end the meal, we ordered an Orange Upside-down Cake with Rosemary (NT$100). This was a butter cake with orange rind in the cake. It was decent but nothing to rave about.

The 年轮邮局 is my favourite. A wide selection of whimsical postcards is available. You can purchase the postcards and the staff will help you send the postcards (no additional charge, for international addresses as well) in whichever way you want it. It could be today, a month later, 2 years later or 5 years later. You could send it to yourself, your family or if you want, not send it out at all and keep your inner thoughts a secret forever. There is a table with colour pencils, pens and colourful tapes for you to write your postcards.

We then proceeded to have our ice cream fix. There was a selection of ice cream, including lavender, berry yoghurt, mint chocolate, lemon grass and rose. My husband opted for the lavender flavour and said that it was pretty ordinary.

You can also redeem a free drink (with a marble in it) per ticket.

One should not come here with the expectation of seeing beautiful lavender flowers because they will be disappointed. There is a board which states that lavender likes cool weather but is afraid of the rain. However, as Taiwan's summer is hot and rains often, they have other purple flowers to replace the lavender between May and September. The lavender is supposed to be in full bloom between January and February.

That said, I think one should not expect much even in the peak blooming season. The lavender patch is rather small and will cause minimal excitement, if any. That said, it was nice to just breathe in the cool air at the higher altitude.

Our last stop was the souvenir shop, which of course sold lavender products.

I felt that my trip here was worthwhile not because of the lavender, but because how this place makes me feel like life can be slower and that we can take our time to be one with nature.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We reached the Lavender Cottage after a windy drive into the mountain. Upon arrival, there were various roadsigns to lead us to carparks for parking. Well organised place with pretty lavender flowers. We went in end March, so the lavenders were not as full bloom as we wanted but still was a nice experience.

Ironically, the patch for lavender was not exactly very large, about half a football field or less, on a slope. So if you expect to see large fields of sprawling lavender like those in Hokkaido, you will be disappointed.

One thing that does stand out, is the restaurant. We ordered pork chop and roasted chicken, and food was amazingly good. For one, the pork chop was tender and very good. The marination of both dishes were expertly done with the right amount of spices and we were blown away by the taste of these. You must try these dishes when you visit the place. The roast chicken can be shared by two persons, while pork chop serving is for one person.

Overall, a very nice place to visit.

1  Thank ogenkidesu