“Traditional food from new recipes”

Shin Yeh Taiwanese Cuisine-Original Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 2,721 Restaurants in Zhongshan District
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional Taiwanese Taste as a Modern Cuisine Shin Yeh Taiwanese Cuisine got its start in 1977 in Taipei on ShuangCheng Street and was the founding brand of the restaurant group. In addition to small, cold side-dishes, specialty rice porridges and many home-style flavors from the street transformed into restaurant dishes, there are now Shin Yeh signature must-taste dishes such as Fried Pork Liver, Traditional Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs, Braised River Eel, and after-dinner Almond Tofu, Almond Tea, Glutinous Rice and other classic Taiwanese dishes. Using traditional authentic taste as its foundation, Shin Yeh continues to innovate, keeping in step with the times. Over the past 40 years Shin Yeh has grown alongside the people of Taiwan and relentlessly exerted itself in Taiwanese cuisine. It has become not only what overseas Chinese miss deeply, but also the preferred restaurant for our foreign friends visiting Taiwan.
Reviewed 17 November 2020

In the not -too-distant past "Taiwanese food" was a misnomer. What people today call Taiwanese food was street food. What's more, it was common to disguise the fact that one was Taiwanese and spoke "ben di hua;" that is "local speech." Rich people ate rice; the Taiwanese ate sweet potatoes. In fact "sweet potato" was a byword for Taiwanese people. In the old days, you could buy roast potatoes on the street. This restaurant serves special food, that will come as a revelation to non-Taiwanese. It has taken street food and turned it into a unique cuisine; Shin Yeh has certainly deserved its Michelin honor.

Date of visit: September 2020
Write a reviewReviews (657)

Reviewed 14 October 2020

This is a fancy restaurant serving traditional Taiwanese food. Fried rice is especially amazing. I went with my friend. Booth seating provides a semi-enclosed space that allows us to enjoy our private conversation.

Date of visit: October 2020
Review collected in partnership with EZTABLE.com
Reviewed 2 October 2020

Not long ago, this cuisine was regarded as Taiwanese street food. Now its gone upmarket, but it's still authentic Taiwanese food. We went with several friends and we really enjoyed it.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank 619jeffry
Reviewed 21 March 2020

I don't know what to say. The views were spectacular, the service couldn't have been better, the food looked beautiful...but would i go back?
I was on a three week tour of southeast Asia with friends and one of them was celebrating a birthday. Lets dine on the top of Taipei 101! We all agreed. We arrived and it felt like we were going into a bank....many staff protocol check points before we arrived at the top restaurant floor. We were looking at a less expensive menu ,but decided that we wanted a table by the windows and took one of their top class prix fixe menu offering. The view was amazing. Worth the experience. So was the restaurant staff. The servers were excellent...kind, efficient and charming. The food? The food was beautifully presented, well executed, and featured a wide variety of ingredients and cooking styles. There were also so many dishes. They were all creative, well prepared, and interesting. I was just so happy to have authentic Taiwanese cuisine. Unfortunately, perhaps my palate is not used to the unique foods as the experience was not really what i thought it was going to be. This is not the fault of the restaurant. Taiwanese food reminded me a lot of traditional Japanese food to a degree, with deceptively simple preparation and seasoning.
The best part of the birthday dinner was the thoughtful traditional sweet red bean buns that we had brought to us. Wonderful!

Now the bill came to $446 for two of us, and while everything was as perfect as it could be, i left less than satisfied. its not the restaurant's fault...they did all they could. But the food taste for me was not what i was expecting.
Overall, I would go to this restaurant if you want an authentic Taiwanese food experience, but learn about the traditional food before you go.

Date of visit: March 2020
6  Thank brads153
Reviewed 28 January 2020

Took my family out for Christmas Dinner and they limited our dining to only 1-hour. Within 10 minutes of being seated, they already presented the bill to be paid immediately. We had not even gotten our food yet. Within 45 minutes, they were collecting everything off of our table and telling us we need to leave. We were still chewing our food and had not even gotten desert yet. They were insistent, rude, and unapologetic. They stopped refilling our drinks 30 minutes into the meal. I told the waitress we would leave when we were finished but then gave up since we were not welcome there and could not get service. I will never recommend this restaurant and they treat their customers like cattle and really don't have a clue how the rest of Asia provides kind excellent service. I requested a partial refund on my credit card which was honored by my credit card company.

Date of visit: December 2019