Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Appreciate the building than the exhibitions, a quiet and concise architecture

Appreciate the building and interiors (columns, ceiling, etc.) more than the exhibitions. Though it... read more

Reviewed 15 October 2020
oftheplanet
Worthwhile

This is a relatively small museum, but it is packed with interesting artifacts and narrative about... read more

Reviewed 16 March 2020

from US$100.00
from US$49.76
from US$52.00
More Info
All reviews natural history native animals special exhibit bank vault colonial era main hall land dinosaurs displays dome chinese taiwan art columns flora ming elevator
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 August 2019 via mobile

I left Taiwan at the age of 16 to live in England 30 years ago. I am passionate about Taiwan so when I heard there’s a national museum i had to visit it.

It’s situated about 5 minute walk from 新光 mitsukoshi exit by Taipei station, within the 228 Peace Park. We only had time to visit the main building so this is what my review is based on.

Considering the Taiwanese history was very much neglected during my junior high education in Taipei - I remembered being given 2 pages of Taiwanese history vs 4 books of China to study - I felt this was a good prominent location for a national museum.

However, i I couldn’t have been more disappointed . Here’s my summary:

The good:

1. Location, easy access by MRT
2. Impressive building with ancient European deco, it felt airy and spacious
3. Low cost on entry tickets, 75p for an adult and 50 for a child.
4 wheelchairs services available
5 super clean toilets
6 the bugs section was interactive for kids, a nice touch
7 people at service desks and the volunteers were really friendly and helpful.

I see some
Volunteers giving out additional information on the exhibit in Taiwanese and Mandarin.

The not so good:

1 the museum was not completed -

there were many sections closed and under construction still

2 poor logic in content layout -

maybe there is one but we were not given a leaflet to explain where things were so we could plan on areas to spend most time on.

The ground floor consisted of a natural insect section and a deep sea microfossils collection. But when you go to the first floor, it suddenly opened up exhibits of people, history, animals, geology - in random order.

Little thoughts were put into linking the story of each room so there’s some kind of leading or continuation onto the next chapter/room.

3. Poor contents -

I had great expectations to see much researches and documentation on Taiwan’s history, geological spread of plantation and In particular - its fascinating history of being a surviving colony while under the Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish, Japanese and now KMT ruling for almost 300 years.

It’s never been a country on its own feet with the imminent threats from China. It’s a country without a badge and yet it’s has done so well, the museum is meant to reflect on how it all happened.

Furthermore, being situation within the 228 Peace Park - You would expect the museum to have documented information on the ‘White Horror’ when lots of Taiwanese people were murdered by the KMT (nationalist party who fled from China after WWII). It was something that the KMT government removed from all our history books and denied it ever happened for past 50 years.

Well there was no mention of it in the museum. The cover is still on after all these years, there’s no apologies for what happened at 228 (22/Feb/1947)

In addition, some of the extinct stuffed animals looked way too scary under the bright lights, it looked more like a hunter & gather room in one section. Little was documented for each animal and some specimens had lost their colours and just looked like awful dead thighs to me

4 disabled access -

I was on a wheelchair, as a result of a slipped disc. Our group consisted of my 11y old daughter and my partner. For most parts they could push me about but the disabled lift was too small to fit the 3 of us comfortably. My partner managed to run the wheelchair over his foot somehow in the lift.

———————-

We didn’t visit the second building as I was unwell after visiting the main building maybe due to the new paint smell and dusts from
The construction.

We will try visit the second building before we return to England but the first visit had not been encouraging.

After all, it is nice to finally have a Taiwanese national museum instead of a Chinese version like 故宮 in 園山. I hope they will give it some more thoughts and care to make it an unforgettable place to visit.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank 747milliel
Reviewed 27 June 2019 via mobile

We had read the guide book but had not realised quite how focused this museum is on the natural sciences. I found one of the rooms concentrating on microfossils quite interesting, but the gallery of insects a little too simplistic.

Upstairs, though, is a gallery of interest. In displays items relating more specifically to the history of Taiwan, its fauna and its aboriginal tribes. For that alone, it is worth a visit but don’t expect to spend more than an hour here, in total.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank kbp61
Reviewed 8 June 2019

Great museum for kids, super interactive, beautiful layout and nice architecture. Only about $1USD I think for entrance.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 21 April 2019

The displays were top notch, translated into English ( which was a nice bonus) and addressed a wide variety of interests. You should absolutely try to hit one of the architecture tours (free)! Gives a nice background on Tapai history and it's very informative (30 minutes).

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank Aj H
Reviewed 8 March 2019

I won't waste your time repeating what other people have said when they rated it with 5 stars, other than I wholeheartedly agree. My first surprise was that as I approached the ticket desk, the young lady announced "Senior" and I was given a free ticket!

They have maintained the interior and exterior a century old, architecturally beautiful building, while using state of the art 21st Century display techniques to exhibit inside hundreds of items, many of which are the work of their original Japanese collectors as well as the early Taiwanese officials that took over from them in the 40's and 50's.

For reference, your ticket to the NTM also includes admission to the slightly confusingly named Land Bank Exhibition Hall, diagonally across the street which I've reviewed separately.

Due to the weather, I did not visit the Peace Park, in which the NTM is located.

Date of experience: March 2019