Ballaghmore Castle
Roundwood House(Mountrath)
US$198
US$69
US$64
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise(Portlaoise)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$82
US$87
US$81
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$90/night.

O'Loughlin's Hotel(Portlaoise)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$128
US$83
All reviewshen partyguest housedining hallgracefiresirelandhistoriancouchhosts
Reviewed 18 May 2014

As a Fitzpatrick descendant I looked forward to visiting the area of my ancestors. It was not a disappointment. We had a delightful and enlightening visit. We slept well, had delicious breakfasts and our host, Grace, was very knowledgeable about the history of the area. It was a delightful visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I stopped by the castle to enquire about bringing tourist groups to tour the castle, as I am involved in the tourism industry. When I arrived the owner was not at home so I waited. Within a few minutes she arrived back and without any apparent reason and before i could explain my reason for being there she launched a verbal assault on me about some obscure subject matter. I had no idea what she was ranting about. I can only assume she thought I was someone else or she is clearly not well. I was dumb-founded and quickly made my escape. So be warned and stay away! You will NOT get an Irish welcome or even common civility at Ballaghmore Castle!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Gertie K
Ballaghmore_Castle, Owner at Ballaghmore Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Sorry tour operator but Grace did ask you please telephone to make an appointment as she was not able to see you there and then.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Three families together stayed a week at Ballaghmore and it was a high point of my life, seriously. Grace and her family could not have been more hospitable and the castle is amazing. It's very simple but quite adequate in the amenities, as they wanted to keep it as quaint and historic as possible. The grounds are beautiful. Loved it!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Ballaghmore is centrally based in a fascinating part of Ireland and is perfectly situated for those wishing to explore almost any part of of the country. I have travelled the world for thirty hears and Ballaghmore Castle is one the places that will stand out in my mind for its unique character and charm. Ballaghmore has a grand yet homely atmosphere that is very hard to find these days. The owner, Grace, is a highly entertaining and interesting host who could not do enough to ensure my stay was pleasant and comfortable, regaling me with stories of Irish history that kept me enthralled for hours on end. I enjoyed a very comfortable room and bed with excellent facilities and a wonderful breakfast. I cannot recommend Ballaghmore highly enough to anyone planning to visit this part of Ireland. If you are not planning to visit this part of Ireland you really should!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HWAiken
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Known locally as the Lady Graimne -Grace for me was the most amazing hostess. What a beautiful place to come to. Ballaghmore is enchanting, a real castle built in 1480. The family history dates back to 500bc. Old world charm everywhere!! Grace is a historian/restorer, she has it all!!

I was so well looked after, cant thank her enough for her help, humour and hospitality and her knowledge of Ireland was superb. The castle is a unique and diverse place and is an incredible place for family holidays or private parties.

The bed was heaven. I am 6'6 and it was an eight foot, four poster. (I could not get out of it) it had stunning views and it was also on suite. The breakfast was superb, which set me up for the day. Grace"s daughter Sorrell and her partner Grant both very creative made for wonderful and interesting company in the evenings. They look after all the animals which include 8 horses, 6 dogs and 3 cats.

If you are looking for the magic of Ireland, its here!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If your tall ask for the eight footer poster bed!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo