“Wonderful food, wonderful owners!”
Review of The Old Fort

The Old Fort
Price range: US$18 - US$39
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Newly reopened historic building housing this beautiful restaurant. Well worth the visit to have the opportunity to dine in our historic setting.
Reviewed 10 September 2017

I went here with my fiance, father, and stepmother. The food was absolutely to die for. The dessert, had our eyes rolling around in the backs of our heads...a mango chocolate mousse creation by the Chef and co-owner. We're American, where craft beer is a huge deal right now, and we really enjoyed the excellent selection of local bottled beers. The front-of-house manager and co-owner had wonderful beer recommendations for us. The service may have been our favorite part, as the new owners made us feel right at home and were happy to share their story and answer our nerdy questions about the building's history. This place was the dining highlight of our 10-day trip, and I'll make a point of coming back next time I'm in Ireland. P.S., after dinner, walk down to the river, where you can skip rocks and admire the beautiful scenery through the arches of the bridge.

1  Thank Erin M

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I visit the Old Fort each summer when I pass through Shannonbridge, so I got a bit of a shock when I heard on the internet that it had closed down. However, it's now open again with new management and the food is just as good as it was before.
There's a good range of wine and craft beer - on my most recent visit I enjoyed some bottles of pale ale from St Mel's Brewing Company. My main course was a delicious steak, I had ordered sirloin off the menu but the chef told me they also had Tomahawk steaks that night so I had one of those served with plenty of red onions. The chocolate mousse I had for dessert looks small in my photograph, but was very rich and satisfying in reality.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

would recommend the old fort, good food and service. Good value, great for family occasion's. in the heart of shannonbridge, great area.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Lovely building and for the most part excellent food. All of the staff were very friendly and added to the whole experience. The food was excellent, very small menu and if I'm honest I would have preferred the blue cheese sauce that comes with the steak was served on the side.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We popped in last night at 9 pm . . We were taking a chance as we had no reservation ..to our delighted they accommodate us ..we had prawns to start , delicious .steak & chicken for mains , again yummy .
This restaurant is well worth a visit , service was excellent as well as the food ..we definitely be back soon ..keep up the good work guys ..well done !