“A truly lovely place.......”
Review of Notley Arms

Notley Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Monksilver
Price range: US$5 - US$37
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Notley Arms and it's team are looking forward to re-open on Monday 17th of May 2021. We have decided not to open sooner as we want to continue to do our part in helping our community, Exmoor and Somerset be rid once-and-for-all of COVID. Please keep you and yours safe and healthy. Re-built around 1870 The Notley Arms Inn has recently been refurbished back a traditional country Inn with open fires and a beautiful beer garden bounded by a bubbling stream.We serve Somerset's finest ales, beers and ciders as well as the best local produce for our meals, which are freshly prepared daily. We are perfectly located for walkers; especially those enjoying The Coleridge Way as well as the other beautiful Exmoor National Park walks.
Reviewed 23 September 2021

I’ll start by saying that I don’t want to write this review. If others read it, then they’ll all want to go and we might not get a table next time we come back and come back we will. Deep down though, I know it should get the business it deserves.
As soon as we walked into this lovely pub, it felt as though we’d been coming here for years.
Where do I start? The welcome is second to none and felt so genuine. Simon, who I believe may be the landlord, could not do enough to make a special birthday meal for my 4 year old grandson Hugo feel as though this was a truly special event in his young life. I think he did the same for all of those present. His knowledge of the food, drinks and area was amazing. The food itself was beautiful. A truly lovely menu. The pub itself is delightful. The decor is tasteful and relaxing. It felt like home! To be honest, I didn’t want to leave. Everyone should have access to a pub like this. I’m immunocompromised and have only eaten at one other pub in the last two years. I felt safe here. The rest of the staff are wonderful and went to great lengths to make everyone feel at home. Thanks all.
Thanks Simon and see you soon. Hugo’s Nonna.

1  Thank deborahgiovane
Write a reviewReviews (558)

Reviewed 21 September 2021

Stayed here a few years ago and as they were fully booked for the weekend we stayed locally and decided to book a table for my birthday treat.
Once again the dining area was welcoming and well laid out to cater for the present climate, having a covid policy in place was reassuring.
Once again the service and meal were outstanding in a dining room with a nice quiet ambience

1  Thank Prodengwest
Reviewed 18 September 2021

I booked after looking at the website which turned out not to be up to date, The Notley Arms is a lovely building and Caroline (the landlady) charming and helpful sadly upon arriving we discovered it was closed lunchtime Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs which as there is nothing else near was very disappointing there were several other guests staying as well as us so I felt an odd decision. As with most things covid is blamed. We went for a walk in the beautiful countryside and returned to eat having prebooked for the four evenings of our four night stay, the menu was extremely short (supply problems - covid ?) and the portions small while the prices were not. In the morning we were more or less told what breakfast was with no breakfast menu and no cereals or juices etc on display with nothing mentioned on the website on offer (a shame as breakfast was mentioned several times - different sorts - on the web site). The room was superb and as promised the whole place was dog friendly. I found it strange that despite being right by the Coleridge trail there were no information leaflets apart from a motorcycle adventure place. Fantastic walking all around so exercise wise a good time. So -my ratings are Room 5* Welcome for us and dog 5* Staff (thank you Caroline) 5* Food,difficult this as mostly good quality (my fish and chips not crisp at all) but pricey and small portions. 2* I appreciate that there are supply problems throughout the industry but food is a big part of staying away and sadly it disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2021
PleasantPheasant, Owner at Notley Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2021

Thank you for your kind review. It has been very difficult operating under these COVID conditions. Like many businesses in this industry remaining open whilst so many staff had had to self-isolate has been very difficult.

Our we had two options; either to close (and disappoint many guest who have had long term bookings) or safely operate under reduced operating hours. That is why we are currently closed for lunches Monday's to Thursday's as this give us an opportunity to provide additional deep cleaning for COVID and give staff a break from potential exposure and the inevitable next autumnal wave.

We do have information on the Coleridge Way but we are waiting for another batch of leaflets from the Tourist Information Centre. As an interim measure we are handing out a list of lovely things do do in the beautiful Exmoor National Park and surrounding areas. The team and Simon in particular offers personal advice and guidance on our section one the walk and is only too happy to take guests and walkers on a tour of our famous church.

Reviewed 3 September 2021

Went a couple of nights ago after being recommended but failed to impress, very limited choice and expensive for what is on offer.

Date of visit: September 2021
PleasantPheasant, Owner at Notley Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2021

Thank you for your review. Because of recent surge of COVID-19 several of our staff have had to self-isolate in an abundance of caution. Consequently we only had one chef available instead of the usual three; and that is why we were only able to offer a reduced menu.

COVID has affected the entire industry including the food supply chain which has negatively reduced availability of lots of products and raised their prices.

As I am sure you understand and appreciate; like the rest of the UK we are trying our best to offer a service, under very difficult circumstances whilst keeping yourselves, our customers, visitors and team safe.

Reviewed 3 September 2021

We went whilst hospitality was starting back, so the restaurant was just putting on enough covers that they could cope with -a wise move that paid dividends. The setting is quite formal I'd say - less country pub and more restaurant - the menu is more pub but tweaked. The wine list is more restaurant. The service is very warm and personal. From what we had from the edited menu (Now I believe all back to full strength) they're going to do very well again - we enjoyed it and will return if in area

Date of visit: August 2021