“Classy dining in the heart of Ceglie ”
Review of Botrus

Botrus
Reserve with
Botrus is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We ended up in Botrus after our intended restaurant was fully booked and the owner kindly recommended Botrus. Thank you Cibus!

We were a little nervous at first, the restaurant is somewhat a mix of modern and old, situated in a high ceiling catacomb that has been lightened with white paint and modern fixtures. Included a glass walls looking into the kitchen. Somewhat different to the majority of restaurants in ceglie.

The menu was simple, not overly complex with approx 4- 6 choices in each section. With some wonderful appetisers before we even looked at the menus. Everything freshly prepared in house with excellent selections of breads. For our Primi Piati , we opted for two different pasta dishes. Both served with ricotta but very very different. My wife had the local pasta but with a subtle mix of yellow tomatoes, orange and ricotta, a wonderfully fresh and light pasta dish. I had a simple but impressive dish with a pasta, sorry I have forgotten its name but best described as rolled pasta sheets stood to attention like a regiment of soldiers on a bed of ricotta, but grilled to have a the texture of filo pastry, delightful. See picture.

For the secondi we both opted for the slow leg of lamb cooked in wild onions. A perfect portion size for a rich dish. To accompany the meal we were recommended a fabulously soft and warming primotivo of course. See accompanying picture.

But this stage we were pretty much full to the max 'pieno alla cima!' But a final send off a selection of fig sweets to accompany our coffee.

Fantastico, Gracie Mile Complimenti Botrus.

Our only thought, maybe a few more tables in a somewhat stark room to create a little more buzz, but nonetheless a memorable evening.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We saw the place while walking around Ceglie Messapica and really liked the design and colors so we booked a table for the following day. When we arrived, the 2 waitresses looked at us in a very patronizing way .. we already felt unwelcomed and we should probably have left then. So we sit down and order drinks, wine for us - very good - and asked for lemonsoda and aranciata for the kids (famous drinks in Italy) - their answer was "we don't have this kind of drinks here" looking shocked that we even dared to order that. Next .. we order the food .. again, not a single smile from the waitresses. My pasta was raw (I love pasta al dente - but this one was raw !) I tell them it is raw, they take it away without an apology and bring it back 5 minutes later. I start eating again - I burned myself and after a few bites felt like sand it my mouth. The clams shell broke and were all over the plate. I could not eat it at all - had the impression I was chewing on stones. So I leave everything on the plate. The waitress asks if the pasta is ok now. I replied that the clams shell were broken and therefore impossible to eat. Again, no apology and they did not ask if I wanted something else. My husband's meat was still frozen. The aubergin we had as a starter was way to salty !
So .. they made us feel like we were below them and when they screw up they don't apologize and don't even offer a coffee to compensate.
Everyone can make a mistake but seriously - poor service - bad food - most expensive restaurant we had in Puglia. There was no language issue as I am italian and therefore speak italian fluently. Do not waste your time and money there ! The only thing which was good was the wine.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

The restaurant itself is stylish and contemporary unfortunately this was not reflected in the very poor food and service. We were led out of the restaurant to eat in what was a derelict street seated on a wobbly table with poor lighting. As it was 10pm the staff did not appear to be interested and the service was poor. They were more interested in eating their staff meals which they did at the next table than checking that we were happy with the meal.
The meal was of extreme poor quality. The anti pasti consisted of items swimming in large amounts of oil with unpleasant textures and flavours. My vegeterian friend had a terribile meal,that had a taste that I would not like to try again in a hurry. Not once were we asked whether we had enjoyed the meal or whether we wanted anything else.We seemed superfluous to the staff having their end of service meal.
I would not go there again.

1  Thank Andre R
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Having heard good reports had wanted to eat here for some time (we live here permanently). The food was absolutely awful the pairing of various foods made some of the dishes inedible. The setting in the restaurant beautiful which we were lead through to,the outside eating space. This felt very much like an after thought and felt like we were sitting in the East end of London in the 50's. Cisternino really know how to decorate their outside spaces. The bread was stale except the focaccia which was very good. One prawn starter was very good the antipasto tasteless or just horrid taste making it unable to eat. The vegetarian soup was not a soup more like a risotto and tasted vile, the vegertarian eff pancake horrid and really a minuscule portion, the beef wrapped in totally and almonds looked like it had been deep fried. Service indifferent. I would never return.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

Don't come here expecting something like a Michelin star meal ..... Except for the price and size of portions. We know very many restaurants in Ceglie and this newest one is highly overrated!!! Food was very average