All reviews koi pond family bath japanese breakfast one night traditional ryokan experience the private dining room shared bath warm hosts train station japanese bath numerous reviews lovely japanese garden family run ryokan perfect ryokan hot bath other guests sleeping room
Reviewed 13 November 2018

I prefer staying in a ryokan when traveling in Japan. Staying at Yadoya Kikokuso was a great experience, and one of the best ryokans I stayed up to now. It is operated by a family, who does its utmost best to speak English (having basics of Japanese helps communicating). The breakfast is great and diverse. Service is excellent. The family bath (ofuro) is cosy and very clean. And it only has a few rooms, so service is very personal. Make sure you know the basics of behaving in a ryokan before going. Haa, almost forgot: the house itself is beautiful decorated, and a perfect kept inner garden.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in this ryokan (room with bath) and had a marvelous time! The small ryokan is very well maintained and very clean and the owner are really super friendly and helpful. The place was full (we think) but we saw in 6 days only 2x times other guests and despite thin walls heard no noise at all from other guests or staff. The Japanese breakfast was top. We got the place recommended by friends and also warmly recommend it further :-)

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2018

Staying here was such a highlight of my trip to Japan. Not just the traditional Japanese guest house but the such kind hospitality. Nothing was too much trouble and their kindness and excellent hospitality will forever be remembered. I got a very reasonably priced room with breakfast from Booking.com for around £80 (Yen 12,960) which was very good value I thought. The breakfast was a work of art, the hot tub was blissfully relaxing, and the room very comfortable despite being on the floor. Very highly recommended and I would love to stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Conveniently located close to Kyoto station, Kikokuso offers a traditional Ryokan experience. The hosts are 5th generation operators and extremely warm, welcoming and accomodating. We (a family of 4) enjoyed the experience very much, made truly memorable by the gracious hosts themselves.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

It's a nice and cozy little place, absolutely loved it. Convenient location, very clean and beautiful traditional Japanese interior.
You will be treated with all respect as a family member. People that run this place are extremely friendly and will do their best to accommodate your needs.
I had dinner there and it was too much for me alone, but very delicious. There's a mini hot bath that you can privately take after dinner, so relaxing before going to bed.

It's shared facilities and though I know I wasn't the only person staying there - haven't seen any single soul.
Yes, you are asked to be on a bit of a schedule for breakfast, dinner and bath time, but it was my last day in Kyoto and I had no rush to go anywhere and it was pure pleasure just to spend time there and relax. Futon was very comfy to sleep on.

Trip type: Travelled solo