US$366
US$293
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$347/night.

Gion Yoshi-ima(Higashiyama)
US$286
US$251
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$306/night.

Tamahan(Higashiyama)
US$330
US$310
  • Breakfast included
Gojo Guest House Annex(Higashiyama)(Great Value!)
US$42
Amenity Hotel Kyoto(Higashiyama)
US$45
US$38
  • Restaurant
Hotel Sunline Kyoto Gion Shijo(Higashiyama)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$63
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$95/night.

Karaku(Higashiyama)
US$296
US$163
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$205/night.

Santiago Guesthouse Kyoto(Higashiyama)(Great Value!)
US$20
US$15
Priceline
Hotel Ryozen(Higashiyama)
US$149
US$92
Priceline
    Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$128/night.

All reviewsboutique hotelriceyogurtprivate gardenother gueststhe hotel is cleanwould highly recommend this hotelperfect hotelloved this hotelpublic transportationour honeymooncomfortable bedjapanese standardsexcellent locationthe buskyoto stationgion
    Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Absolutely fabulous small boutique hotel in a great location near Gion area. Very nice comfortable modern rooms with lovely appointments, and facilities. Perfect English and other languages spoken, which is a bonus. Staff excellent, very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended if you want to spend a few days in Kyoto.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 21 March 2018

We stayed at the HEGS on a trip through Kyoto. The hotel was excellent - clean, friendly staff, and in a great location. Our room, which I think is representative of the general room layout, was large and well lit. The bathroom was great. One note - the hotel is only about 4-5 stories tall, so you're unlikely to have a view unless you are on one of the higher floors. Check-in was easy and they were accommodating when we asked to leave a lot of luggage for the day after check-out.

Room Tip: If you can, ask to be higher up - we were on the fourth floor and had plenty of light and a little view; our friends were on a lower floor and didn't have as much light. At the same time, hopefully you're not spending much time in the hotel if you're visiting Kyoto with so many great things to see!
    Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
    Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    Reviewed 12 March 2018

I stayed for 3 nights in the room with a private garden. The room was really beautiful. I enjoyed the sake tasting the hotel hosted one evening. The breakfast was great and included miso soup, yogurt, toast and jam, and coffee and tea.

Room Tip: The private garden is very peaceful.
    • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
    Reviewed 1 March 2018

I chose Hotel Ethnography because of its location in Gion and its convenience to public transportation. But I was also intrigued by an obvious commitment to presenting Japanese culture and hospitality. My experience there proved extraordinary. Staff started answering my questions before I ever left California -- and the information always proved accurate. For example, I knew I wanted to visit the Imperial villas, but I did not know I first had to go to the Imperial Household Office in order to receive permission for the visits.
    I used the lobby as my sitting room and enjoyed the activity around me. My breakfast mates were from Cornwall and Singapore and all points between. We shared a freshly prepared and rather large spread, or could choose lighter fare: yoghurt, toast, tea/coffee. Over breakfast we also shared daily experiences and plans.
    Staff spoke many languages -- English, Italian, Chinese and, yes, Japanese, to name a few. As soon as they sensed my own interests, I found them bringing forward cultural events, sights, and experiences that I personally would enjoy. Their logistical help was simply invaluable. I found recommendations regarding food, drink, transport and shopping utterly reliable and was soon seeking out advice.
    I was fortunate being in the hotel during a series of sake tastings and discussions of the fine art of making rice wine in a place where it has been made for centuries. The room was both comfortable and warm (in February) and presented a charm I now associate with Kyoto and with Gion. The Hotel Ethnography impresses me most because I know it added to my ability to explore and enjoy Kyoto.

Room Tip: 5th floor was quiet. I know there are garden rooms on the ground floor.
    • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
    2  Thank Jerry C
    Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the heart of Gion. It is an old building- turned- hotel and it has this really tasteful interior - modern with touch of Japanese vibe. Reception are friendly and helpful.

Rooms are beautiful, clean and comes with a bathtub in ours. Lighting of room is nicely arranged. Beds are comfy and love the natural light shined through in the morning.

Breakfast were served in Japanese and western style. If you do not want Japanese one, consider returning it intact so no food is wasted. Loved the fresh local grown veggies salad. Fresh and yummy.

Good location and great service. Highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple