“Mini break”

Ballathie House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

The staff here were great very attentive and friendly .The food was out of this world.The grounds were lovely great for walking and was very peaceful,but there wasn't much to do when it rained. What let's it down for me is the accommodation over priced although very clean .The sportsman lodges were out dated and to be honest smelled. We upgrade .Find it hard to be harsh as everything else was good

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed for two nights originally we were booked for the sportsmanship lodges but were upgraded to the riverside. After reading some reviews on the sportsmanship lodge we were pleased to be upgraded and just as well, because they look like toilet blocks from the outside, however, the rooms in the riverside are ok but the hotel lets itself down with attention to detail. Room 14 had clearly not had a good clean for several months as the skirting boards were filthy both in the bedroom and bathroom. The pillows had a clear smell of body odour although the linen was clean. The headboards had clear marks where previous occupants had been...... Not a good look. The in room manual stated a Ballathie breakfast was on the menu but not cooked, this dissapointed us especially when we were informend on last day that this was available in the main building.... Why could they not say in the room info or at reception on arrival? On the plus side the hotel is situated in a beautiful area and stunning grounds. Such a shame about our stay and reception did not seem too interested.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Picked this hotel for location and excellent reviews given on trip advisor. It is situated on the banks of the Tay and is ideally suited for a sporting break or just a nice relaxing weekend.
The staff from arrival to departure, were professional, helpful, polite and plentiful. Nice to stay somewhere with a lot of staff on hand.
We had a lovely room in the main house overlooking the river, which was clean and comfortable. However, I had messed up a little, by booking a twin room rather than a double....wife not happy. I had realised this mistake when booking through Booking com and had used their messaging service to change to a double, however the hotel did not receive this request, so if you need to make a change, go direct to the hotel.
The menu caters for all tastes, good food and a good selection of wines, again we couldn't fault the service.
We enjoyed an evening walk along the banks of the Tay within the hotel grounds, avoid wearing good shoes or high heels, as the path can be wet and slightly muddy in places.
Breakfast service was excellent, good selection of food (hot/cold) to suit all.
I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends & family

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the house on the eastern side, as it over looks the Tay.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

3 years on we returned to Ballathie for a birthday lunch for my mother. The lunch price is higher during the summer but at 23.95 for 3 courses it is still excellent value. Lovely food, beautifully presented and good service. Worth stopping by for a special occasion meal.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We were booked in for two nights in the sportsman's lodges. I have to say this was the most awful room I've ever stayed in, in my life. The decor is old and dated, there is a damp smell in the room, the carpets and bedding was dirty. There must be an issue with the pipes, as I'm not exaggerating when I say the building sounded like it was literally shaking. I actually thought there were people doing maintenance work until I realised it was the pipes. I was woken up at various points in the night and again at 5.30am by this and couldn't get back to sleep. Worst nights sleep of my life! The only saving grace I would give is when I told the reception they were swift and offered to change us to another lodge in another building (the riverside). This was better but I still wouldn't say it was 4* in the slightest! Decor dated, room wasn't very clean. Thankfully as we were here for my best friends wedding we didn't spend much time in the hotel at all (thank goodness). Don't be fooled when you read the hotel welcome pack and it says room service is 24hours, apparently this only applies to the main hotel and not the lodges!! Rate for the room was £90 a night and I have to say I've stayed in much nicer hotels for much much cheaper!! I wish I had read the reviews before staying here.

5  Thank Rachael M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
14.7 km away
13.2 km away
Huntingtower Hotel
Huntingtower Hotel
#1 of 18 in Perth

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!