“Brillliant addition to Ottery - a treat”
Review of Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
Reviewed 13 December 2017

An attractive modern cafe with proper coffee. It's also a terrific place for mums and dads of pre-school children to meet up, where they can sit & watch the kids entertain themselves in the play area.
There are two sections to the café. Downstairs sounds like the ninth circle of hell, but thankfully those without young children don't have to go near it because the 'adult' part is above that.
Pros - I love the wood and purple décor, which contrasts with the interesting bottles and display of cakes. Large blackboard with the usual teas & coffees, including soya milk if you like, and a selection of dishes such as sausages and snacks. It feels like a treat to be here & meet friends for coffee. The food looks good although I haven't had a meal here yet. Unlike in some cafes you don't feel pressured to rush and vacate your table and they will give you tap water to drink with your coffee/meal if you like. The loyalty card means you get a free coffee now & again (a small one - 20p extra for a large!).
Cons - There is one lovely friendly lady but everyone else could do with looking customers in the eye and pinning on a smile. There is a general air of faffing about and the service is terribly slow - it's not like Café Nero or Costa where you get it straight away. I've been disappointed with some of the cakes and cookies. If you're paying £2.40 for a small brownie you expect it to taste of chocolate, but it didn't. A bit more choc in the recipe please! The coffee is OK, although my friend said her hot chocolate was delicious. The problem with the coffee is that it's not as hot as it could be, so you tend to gulp it down and then you need to buy another one!
But over all I love it here and I'm intending to try the food next time because it looks really good.

1  Thank MirandaGoshawk

Reviewed 7 November 2017

I am lucky enough to live in Ottery St Mary and have been in here on several occasions with and without my Grandaughter. She is 6 and loved the play area. I have enjoyed tea and cakes with friends too. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff and lovely selection of food and drink. I shall keep going

1  Thank suhoo
Reviewed 5 November 2017

This is a pleasant independent coffee shop with a twist inasmuch as it has a playarea for small children. As a result it is popular with young mum's. The downside if you are not a mum is that the shop can at peak times be noisy and also at times very busy. At such times service can be slow. The menu is however very good with a range of breakfast, brunch and lunch options. Also the cakes and pastries etc are very good, possibly home made, not sure.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

This was a really lovely place to stop for lunch on a weekend away without the kids. We had a relaxed lunch and took our time enjoying the weekly special (beef stew) and soup (tomato and red pepper), along with good coffee. Sadly, the large portions meant we didn't have room for the cakes, which looked delicious.

We didn't have our kids with us for the weekend, but I don't doubt they would have absolutely loved the play area, which looked great for younger children.

The best bit of all though was the price. It was £12 for the both of us. An absolute bargain.

1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I took my grandson to the soft play area in the restaurant, he loved it. Good coffee and very friendly staff.