“Tasty food and good service”

El Tovar Lodge Dining Room
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2018

We dined here twice during our stay - services was slick and professional and the menu choices were good.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,481)

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

After a 7-mile hike in the Grand Canyon in 94 degree heat, the dining room at El Tovar was just the right thing. The restaurant is part of the rustic hotel and has great ambiance to boot. The wait staff is exception and very attentive with jugs of ice cold water to refresh you as you empty glass after glass. The Navajo Taco was terrific as well as their salad selections. The menu is not too extensive, but stick to the local dishes for the best results. I recommend getting there before 1pm as they fill up quickly. The railroad station is nearby so time your meal accordingly as many people rolled from the train to lunch. It’s worth spending time walking around the room to see the various Native American paintings as well.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We arrived at the busiest time of the day for lunch and were seated immediately. My husband had the steak sandwich, my son had the pastrami sandwich, and I had the pesto chicken salad sandwich. I tend to be particular about chicken salad because I like it chunky with lots of additional veggies. It was perfect! My husband’s sandwich had many very thin layers of very tender steak. Our server was very courteous and attentive.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We ate lunch a tad early and did not need reservations. We walked right in and got a splendid window table overlooking the grand canyon. I had plenty to eat and was surprised at how modest the prices were considering our location. Wait staff was very friendly and professional. Service was very fast. To the negative comments posted here I have to wonder if they are talking about the same restaurant.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Drove up from Scottsdale for a one day trip to the Grand Canyon. The day before snagged a 4:45 dinner reservation, just so we’d have someplace to come in out of the heat, relax, and have dinner before heading to Lipan point for sunset. We arrived in our hiking clothes which were fine, although I’d say most other people were dressed a little nicer and some were really dressed up. A few other families in hiking clothes. The food was decent, but not great. I had their entree salad with salmon, and it was ok at best. Salmon tasted smokey and not fresh, dressing was oily and more than I’d like. My son had the pork chopped which he liked, my husband had duck which he felt was over cooked but decent. Lots of sauces on entrees. You get one choice of veggie with entrees, which was steamed carrots that day so hopefully you like what they’re offering. Maybe it’s the dated decor and the old lodge feel, but it’s just not cutting it as a high-end restaurant. My grandparents would have loved it, and I’m sure back in the day it was quite the place, but it’s just not translating to modern day. The servers were all very nice, but young and probably just learning so they don’t quite have that high end “feel”. But super-nice, respectful kids and I definitely appreciate that.