“Good food despite being understaffed when we visited.”

Le Rocher De Malendure
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Bouillante
Price range: US$24 - US$47
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2015

Good choice of food well presented. The evening we dined they seemed understaffed which could have been as it was at xmas, so the attention was a bit rushed. This is just an observation as it did not detract from the experience, we actually like longer meals. We would definitely dine there again, nice atmosphere and beach side location.

Reviewed 27 December 2015

We went for dinner last night after a lovely day of scuba diving next door. My daughter and I ordered the lobster dinner for 50 euros which comes with codfish fritters and an ice cream dessert and supposedly 500 grams of lobster. Codfish fritters (accras) which we'd had across the island and had been good everywhere even at little beach shacks had been pre-fried here and were hard, chewy and cold. My son (age 25) ordered the creole sausages which were really pretty disgusting, and not hot either. He couldn't eat them. My husband's chevre salad was passable.

Our waiter showed us our lobsters before they were cooked, my son had 500 grams a la carte and my daughter and I were supposed to have 500 grams each with our meal yet we were served 1/2 a lobster each and he was given a whole lobster. There is no way I would have of measuring it but it seemed like we were being shorted. The lobster itself was good and not overcooked but far too small a portion considering it was 50 euros per person. The side dishes which were potatoes (ok) christophene, not good and some type of banana thing - really quite bad - were all cold. My husband's steak was tough and chewy but flavor was pretty good, the sauce however ruined it. The Vacyeras wine was good and helped to wash down the bad to sup-par food.

The folks running this place have clearly given up caring about the food they are preparing. They are simply trying to make as much money as they can during the tourist season. Its unfortunate as the waiter we had was very kind and the setting is quite lovely. We travel all over the world and are as happy at a beach shack as we are at a Michelin starred restaurant - but the chef and the staff must really care about what they are doing. Even the rolls here are bad. Skip this place if you know what's good for you until they get a new owner.

Reviewed 23 December 2015

We arrived after dark, so I can't comment on the view. I'm guessing it's really lovely. The two ladies who served us were charming and eager to help. One spoke a little English, which was appreciated. I'm afraid the food was hit or miss. While my husband's Creole-style octopus was terrific, my crayfish dish wasn't as successful; I found the seafood to be a bit dry.
I'd say that it's a nice to stop by if you're in the area, but not worth a special trip.

1  Thank Kozwife1
Reviewed 18 December 2015

The location is lovely, high above the beach/jetty looking down into the crystal waters. The food is also very good, and the service is relaxed and very friendly. A great place to sit back and enjoy a lunchtime wine. The iguanas are a bit freaky if they surprise you!

Reviewed 13 November 2015

Beautiful setting over Malendure Bay . It is almost a tree house with the bar at the very top. Don't be put off by the lack of lights at the entrance. Serving large crayfish. Food presented well. Friendly staff. Nice place to end the day.