See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

The Chiang Mai Highlands golf club has 3 nine hole courses - Valley, Highlands and Mountain course. I have played on all 3 of them. Overall I found them to be fairly tight courses with deep bunkers and large water bodies. Avoid getting into bunkers and measure your distances well. Since I hit quite long, I used my driver only thrice, rest of the times I used a three wood off the tee. I would recommend the white tees for the mid handicapper. The greens are tricky and you should read them carefully before attempting putts. The caddies are friendly but understand little English. The club house is good and the restaurant serves delicious food. Overall a very satisfying experience. Would certainly like to play here again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed as a couple here in Chiang Mai for a Golfing holiday. Villas were very pretty, they were good sized and decorated nicely with nothing too fancy but came together very pleasingly. Facilities like pool very nice, spa a little pricy for this region so we didn't utilise it.

Food at the clubhouse excellent. Menu showcased a selection of chef's specialities from this region and it was good to try as an alternative from the usual green curry and tom yum kung type choices. Good cooking Chef!

The Golf course was so challenging but really great course to play on. We played 36 holes in one day as it was our last golf day. Luckily the caddies were good and able to assist us well.

Definitely will come back for another trip, nice relaxed stay, great golf, great food.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2016

This review is about the golf. I am an expat that now lives and works in Chiang Mai. First things first. It takes at least 30 minutes to get to the course from Chiang Mai. This is not a problem if you have a car or have a group tour to take you there, though you may want to close your eyes when a tour operator drives the van. If you don't have a transport, expect to find yourself in the middle of nowhere. My second point is that I played a couple rounds in March 2016. This is the off season and on both occasions, you could pick your tee time and almost not see anyone else. Played as a single with an early morning tee time as there was nobody else playing. Time to play 18 was just under 3 hours. Sadly, Chiang Mai was in the middle of a severe drought at the time and retention ponds were almost empty. Fairways needed a good watering and appeared to be British Open conditions, ball kicking up dust and rolling forever on the baked fairway. Rough was Florida style; you can see the ball easily enough, you just can't make good contact. Plenty of bunkers, all in superb condition, and I saw a lot of them. The greens were in as good a condition as the drought allowed, though they were very hard and could not hold an approach shot. There was much more water than I thought possible on the course, though most were almost dry with the drought. Should be interesting when the rains come.
Cart path only and in March when it is hottest, you should think twice about a decision not to take a cart as there are quite a few walks and some of them up hill between greens and next tees. My second round it was a balmy 99 Fahrenheit. One golfer to a cart, so you get to know your caddy.
Ah, the caddy! Like most in Thailand, everyone speaks English until you need information at which point, their lack of quality English can be a negative. However, both caddies were charming and willing to give you yardages. The second day I used Golfshot on my smartphone and found that the caddies were better than I expected at giving yardages. However, if you want a layup yardage, better stick to Golfshot. Caddies can give you help with reading the greens, but they are not always correct (and neither am I) and the greens have many subtle breaks. Greens play like Florida greens. If you are a decent player and on your game, you can score well here, certainly to your handicap.
Finally, the staff was very accommodating, moving me to a different second 9 because there was a tour group getting ready to tee off on the original scheduled 9.
There were plenty of comfort houses where you could get something to drink and eat on the course. Personally, I thought the staff was much better than at Alpine.
For Thailand, Highlands is expensive; for tourists, it is cheap enough. If you want to experience Chiang Mai as well as play golf, Highlands is the place to play a few rounds but you might want to stay in town and have transport at your beck and call.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank losvisitor
Reviewed 16 March 2016

We didn't stay at the resort but I had the very great pleasure of playing two rounds at Highlands earlier in March. On the first occasion we played the A and B courses; on the second we played B (Highlands) and C (Mountain).
The course is very well run. Reception was fine as one would expect of a top class course in Thailand. The start - which was busy on both days - was properly organized and our tee time observed. Caddies were excellent, showing good knowledge of greens and hitting lines around the course and having a good sense of humour.
Fairways were top quality; bunkering was fine; greens were in perfect condition.
The course is extremely attractive with some challenging and beautiful holes.
This is a high quality golf course which also provides excellent post-golf food and drinks in a terrific environment at really reasonable prices.
Very highly recommended indeed.

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

We have just played another round on this golf course. They have 3 nine holes. Great tee boxes, fairways and the greens are fast. Staff very friendly and the caddies are great. Restaurant staff know us now after only a few visits. Worth playing and eating here.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple