I rarely give 5 stars for hotels, but the Horn of Plenty deserves their score based on what we got for our money and the way in which they really try hard to make your stay great.
We had a deal for dinner, bed and breakfast and managed to get their best room in the house, Room 4, with the biggest bed we have ever slept in and an amazing bathroom!
The service is great; all the staff are obviously local and are really polite and friendly. That said, the younger staff appeared to have lacked the quality of experience you would probably get from larger hotels, though what they lacked in experience, they made up for with politeness and a willingness to help. The little things make you so welcoming like the offer of a piece of cake with your tea, entrees and complimentary starters etc.
The house and rooms are furnished to a high standard, though I thought the restaurant area and the bar were the most disappointing and they kept the lights on quite bright during dinner which was a little off-putting and unromantic!
I know I am being a bit picky here but I do get frustrated, all too often, when restaurants have very good wine lists and then serve red wine at room temperature and in small glasses. Decent red needs time to breath and the only way you can do that at restaurants is to serve it in large glasses and at the right temperature.
The food here is great, though if you have been for a long hike on Dartmoor and looking forward to a feast, then the portions are definitely on the small size; good food doesn't always have to come in small sizes! (Take extra bread!)
Overall, it is most definitely worth staying here, the service and food is great and so are the rooms and for the price you pay you can't go wrong. We were planning on staying at a 'Pig' hotel. However, here we got the best room in the house + dinner + breakfast for £50 more than the pig wanted for a just a basic room and no food! We will stay here again I am sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Awarded "National Small Hotel of the Year - Silver" in Visit England's 2015 Awards for Excellence, The Horn of Plenty has been thrilling guests for 50 almost years with some of the South West's very best food, drink and accommodation. This independently owned small Country House Hotel and Restaurant has 4 AA stars and 2 AA rosettes for fine dining The hotel stands high on a hill, overlooking 5 acres of beautiful gardens and wild orchards, and beyond that, the breathtaking scenery of the Tamar Valley. 16 stylishly furnished en-suite bedrooms offer outstanding comfort and luxury. Most have balconies overlooking the valley. Food is high on the agenda here, with 90% of produce sourced locally. Service is everything you'd hope for: warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful, without a hint of stuffiness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Horn of Plenty reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Gulworthy
- Horn Of Plenty Tavistock
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Tavistock