“Buccaneer Beach Club is a great spot to be on the island of Antigua”

Buccaneer Beach Club
Reviewed 2 August 2017

On my first trip to Antigua, I had the option of staying in a super swank resort, or the casual cottages at Buccaneer Beach Club. I am so glad that I chose the latter. It felt very homey. The cottage/apartments are spacious and charming. I opted for the "superior" cottage. The only difference is the bigger bed, and the big flat screen TV. I loved my little lime colored cottage. #4. I was there to attend a local girl's wedding. Another guest had the more expensive Beach Front cottage. But here's the thing; they are noisy! Between the crashing waves and the raucous crowd at the adjacent Coconut Grove, you may not get a peaceful night's sleep. So opt for the poolside cottages. They are mere steps away from the crystal clear turquoise water and white sand beach.
I'm glad that I had the taxi man (Eddie) stop at the supermarket on the way from the airport to the Beach Club.. I stocked up on fruit and breakfast groceries, bottled water and salad fixins. Don't pass out when you see the prices. Everything in the store is priced in C.D., or CARRIBEAN Dollars. Prices for groceries are reasonable. I used my credit card and there was a tiny 1% surcharge.
There is also a BBQ available beside the pool.
The staff is low key and friendly. I left my housekeeper two American dollars a day on my pillow. $2.She was delighted. They really are tidy, and even folded my clothes!
No review of any hotel on Antigua would be complete without a Mosquito Report. I had read the warnings.I fully anticipated that I'd hear the singing whine of a huge winged creature as it dived into my skin for a drink. but what nobody mentions, is that they are tiny buggers. You feel the itch before you see them. And boy, are they thirsty! I'm not usually a target for 'skeeters. I'd eaten plenty of garlic and brewers yeast prior to my trip. But no citronella bracelet or homeopathic remedy is any match for these tiny winged beasts. By day 2, I was slathering DEET over my body. And they still bit! So before bed, I'd make sure that the spacious bedroom was free of the menacing creatures. But then when I got up at night to use the bathroom, they were waiting for me as soon as the bedroom door opened! You have been warned.
That said, the B.B.Club is really lovely. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Superior Poolside Cottage is best.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Caley G

Reviewed 25 July 2017

This is the 4th time I've stayed at the Buccaneer with my family. The location is perfect, the rooms are well equipped if you want to stay in and cook and the staff are so welcoming, nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Malcolm N
Reviewed 21 July 2017

We had a large party fly down for a wedding. Most of of us stayed at Buccaneer Beach Club. It was soo nice! The staff are amazing and were very kind to us. The rooms are more apartment style. So you have a bedroom, living room, with small kitchen. There is a fridge and small stove top. So if you don't want to eat out all of the time, you can prepare you own meals. You can walk just out the gate to a beautiful beach. There are several nearby restaurants and supermarkets. Coconut Grove was a hit for Happy Hour!

Room Tip: Check that the Fridge works well before buying groceries.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolb23
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I've stayed at Buccaneer numerous times now over the past two years and the staff make me feel like I have come home every time I arrive. They are professional and friendly and willing to help if the need arises, which is seldom.
The room is a self-contained apartment which is great for me as I want to feel at home when I am traveling for business and not trapped in a hotel room. The decor is modern and comfortable and the housekeeping staff keep it spotless, which makes it more inviting to come back to after a long day of work. I like the option of having the room open-air with fans on or when needed having a/c units throughout to keep cool. There's a pool, and you are steps from the beach which is great for walking or running to keep fit, and safe to swim in. Restaurants are nearby (walking distance and short drives), as well as supermarkets being between five to ten minutes away by car. Even the movie theater is seven to ten minutes away if want to catch the latest movie.
I will continue to stay at Buccaneer whenever I go to Antigua.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian T
mbuccaneer, Manager at Buccaneer Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Dear Brian,
the best result for us is when we manage to make our guests feel at home.
so thank you for your comment, it will be a pleasure to have you here again next time you are in Antigua.
sdb

Reviewed 21 June 2017

First off I have to thank the manager, Simonetta. I had to postpone my trip on the day that I was supposed to check in and ended up changing my dates 3 times and shortening my stay. But Simonetta and her staff was so understanding to my situation.

This hotel was more than I expected. My garden view villa was perfect. The living room was spacious enough for my 2 year old, who enjoyed watching Nickelodeon whilst his dad watched basketball in the bedroom. The kitchenette was well equipped and the daily room service ensured that the towels were changed and the villa spotless. The pool was cleaned every morning and the temperature was always just right!

Each day I looked forward to walking through the garden and onto the beach. The view of the sunset was breath taking. My family and I had breakfast at Coconut Grove, the beach front restaurant next door. For lunch and dinner we often ventured into St John's. We even rode horses on the beach nearby. We really enjoyed this trip and wish we could have stayed longer. We hope to return and stay at the beach front cottage.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
mbuccaneer, Manager at Buccaneer Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear Joycelyn,
thank you for your kind feedback.
I am very glad that you had a good time at Buccaneer Beach Club.
As your stay was shorter than originally planned, we hope to have you here again in the future!
best regards from sunny Antigua

0.8 km away
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
10.9 km away
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort

Been to Buccaneer Beach Club? Share your experiences!