US$153
US$148
Anchorage Inn(St. John's)
US$99
US$80
The Catamaran Hotel(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$109
Travelocity
Caribbean Holiday Apartments(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$60
Caribbean Inn(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$84
Orbitz.com
Caribbean Inn and Suites(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$75
Antigua Seaview(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$64
Jumby Bay Island(St. John's)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Antigua Village(St. John's)
TripAdvisor
2,017 results
All reviewspalm restaurantcove suitepelican barrock cottagepelican househillside roomchampagne breakfastall inclusive planwedding gazebosorbetall inclusive optionthe main hotelcold towelsinfinity poolrum punchdeluxe beach frontkids club
Reviewed 6 July 2018

We travelled to Antigua for the first time ever as a family with two young kids (8 and 1.5). Excluding the long flights, the other item that I was worried about was choosing the right hotel from the family and location perspective.

After a lot of research, I ended up booking the Cove suites at blue waters on an all inclusive package. We had a great experience here and the kids loved it. I read through the reviews below and though of giving my balanced perspective of what we felt after staying here.

The Good:

1) Cove suites are amazing with excellent views. The hotel is on a hillside overlooking the sea. The rooms themselves are large, comfortable and nicely appointed. On all inclusive, they refill the mini bar on request and it is part of the package
2) It is not too far from the airport or St. John or indeed the whole western part of the island. The downside is that it is quite a bit of drive to the English harbour area
3) The staff, for the most part, are friendly and helpful. The cove suite concierges can be reached via whatsapp and make an effort every morning to find out from you what you need in terms of dinner bookings, mini bar etc etc. There are some staff who are really friendly and helpful and go the extra mile. For example, they were very helpful in providing us an alternate room for a late check-out without charge which we could wait in till it was time for our flight. But at the same time, there are some staff who go through the motions only. More on this later in the second section
4) I had read the reviews on the food but honestly, we thought the food was quite good. We tried Palm, Bartley's and the cove restaurant and all were really good. I guess it also matters how long you are staying. We stayed a week but for someone who is staying 2-3 weeks, I can see that it can become a bit repetitive
5) There is a good range of activities. They have a particularly good gym and tennis court (which we didn't use) as well as a range of water sports activities. The guys at water sports are particularly friendly and one of them especially came out into the water to help my son learn snorkelling (no charge of course)
6) The all inclusive package is a good deal if you are planning to eat most of your meals at the hotel. We usually had lunch outside but were back for dinner. Also, all alcoholic drinks are covered at all restaurants, bars (and mini bar) - the menu clearly highlights what is not covered i.e. has a premium charge over the package (very few items). Also room service food is also covered minus a $15 tray charge - good for kids if you want them to eat and then get into bed early
7) The beach is really nice and calm for the kids to enjoy themselves in the water. I read the reviews on seaweed but we didn't see any on the beach. Yes, in the evening, from time to time, you see seaweed on the sea far out from the shore but we didn't experience it on the beach or notice any smell

The not so good - keep in mind that I am commenting from the perspective that this is a $750 a night hotel (Cove suite AI - full stay charged on booking and non-refundable a month out) so the money should equal a certain value irrespective of the star rating of the hotel which is always debatable for people:

There seem to be process gaps in service quality. If you request anything out of the ordinary then the fulfilment of that request really depends on which member of the staff is taking care of it. As an example, we asked for the mini-bar to be filled for some items that were missed out and at another time, for it to be filled at a later time; both these requests took upwards of 2-3 hours to fulfil and only after repeated calls / follow-ups. What is interesting to note is that this was done within minutes when we used to reach any staff member who took a personal interest in this and was apologetic (after the initial wait - so the time of the wait could be 3 hours or just 1 if on a follow up you got someone helpful). All other times, we were told it would be done and it wasn't.

This is just the mini-bar example but there are many others as well e.g. at breakfast, on quite a few days, they started the live station late with the consequence that we had finished our breakfast while they hadn't even started on the pancakes or waffles. And even when it was on time, the whole thing was chaotic - ordering eggs or omelette, the orders would either not be addressed as requested or the queue wait would end up being arbitrary (people who ordered later got it first - one time I noticed that it was because the person who took the earlier order went back into the kitchen and didn't pass it on). And it wasn't even that busy - I reflected on this actually sitting in the Mandarin Oriental in KL at breakfast time just 3 days later on a business trip when every single table was full with one chef doing eggs and not a single order was late, incorrect or required follow up. Why, because their process captured every order perfectly and put it into a rigorous queue system which was followed.

And so it goes on to housekeeping when we requested for assistance to clean a spill which happened too late etc etc.

The reason why I say it is a process gap is because if you reach a staff member who is friendly, efficient and helpful; these things ended up being done in seconds but at other times, it took hours. This should not be the case as irrespective of staff interest or commitment, there should be a process that safeguards quality in a consistent manner.

Having said all of that, I would definitely stay there again as we had a great time there as family and for us, these were niggling little items which didn't bring down the quality of our vacation in anyway.

However, in an attempt to be balanced, if you are a hardened "luxury" traveller, what you should note is that the prices are in range with luxury hotels worldwide and the "hard" product i.e. views, decor, accommodation and so on, delivers on that promise (depending on your taste and expectations of course). But the "soft" product could definitely be improved. I haven't stayed elsewhere in Antigua so I have no basis for local comparison but I am comparing this to other similar priced hotels I have stayed in worldwide. If the price was $300 lower or these niggling points weren't there, I would have given this a 5 star review without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank CynicXT
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

We returned from Blue Waters on 24th June after having 9 nights staying at this excellent hotel.
We have stayed at various hotels in Antigua but this was definitely the best.
Just 15 min from the airport by taxi ($13)
A truly warm welcome, cold towels and fruit punch then taken to our Hill side room, which was excellent could not fault anything.
The new manager Kevin was always at hand to answer any questions and also the assistant manager Gina was very approachable.
The staff were very friendly towards us, John the head gardener led an interesting walk around the grounds and he obviously took great pride in his work.
The food and drink were excellent and plenty of choice in every restaurant.
The seaweed had arrived on the small beach one morning but by lunchtime the lads had cleared most of it by hand and it was not a problem.
We are returning next year with the family to celebrate my 60th Birthday and I’m sure we will receive as warm a welcome as we did this time.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Big seaweed problem!

We stayed at Blue Waters a week ago. First of all be aware that it’s located on on the edge of the Atlantic side of the island, which means there is a lot of seaweed coming to its shores. By the end of our one week stay it was impossible to get inside the water and swim as it was full of smelly seaweed. We rented a car and were driving to other beaches around the island. We stayed at Cove Suits and when out on the balcony there was a constant bad smell of rotten seaweed.
Second of all it’s defiantly not a 5* start hotel, probably a very good 3* or ok-ish 4*. The hotel itself is old and worn out. The staff makes you feel as if you owe something to them especially at breakfast. Every morning there were people including us waiting for breakfast to start as staff was running constantly late. And by the way I can count on my one hand fingers how many times one of the hotel staff smiled back at us. If you need a buggy to get to your room it takes ages to wait for it so better walk, and it is not a pleasant walk from the main restaurant that the Cove suits. The Cove restaurant was impossible to dine in as it was further north and the rotten smell was the strongest there.
I sent an email months before our arrival requesting a room on upper floor, which they just ignored. Although manager Kevin was very helpfully and moved us. He has been very polite and helpful throughout the whole stay. So big thanks to him again.
Another issue I found extremely annoying was that they water plants with sewage water, which has not been recycled properly so it smells terribly. They turn on the watering during the day time in the heat (why not at night as it is better for plants) which means you have a risk of getting wet with the sewage water if you walk anywhere within the hotel territory.
There are three restaurants but food is far from being great. But that’s a former English colony, sure no surprises here. For some reason there are not many local fish and seafood dishes on menu and fish is always over cooked.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Dmitry A
BWTeam, Managing Director at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Dear Dmitry,

Thank you for posting a review as it always allows us to understand the areas where we can improve. Firstly, I would like to say we don't have a serious seaweed problem. Unfortunately, I am unable to post a picture of the current state of our beaches but it would prove that we have been minimally affected. Blue Waters is located on the North west of the island on the cusp of the Caribbean and Atlantic sea; which means the water is generally calm and clear but it can become wavier at times. The smell that drifted onto the Cove suites area was actually coming from nearby bays on the Atlantic side, but from my daily site walks that seems to have cleared.

The hotel over the last few year has had significant investment in the reception, main bar, shop, 4 restaurants and pool areas. We are upgrading the Cove Suites this year because they have reached their 10 year life span. The upgrade will include new furniture, soft furnishings, wall decoration, lighting and equipment. The gym is also receiving a range of new cardio equipment and a general lift.

I'm sorry you didn't feel much engagement from the staff; that is something we are highly regarded for and many reviews do testify to that, plus the quality of our food is generally complimented as can be seen in previous reviews.

We pride ourselves on being an environmentally conscious hotel. Hence the use of reclaimed water for irrigation. However, we had a couple timers lose power for an extended period. Time then became upside down reading AM instead of PM. It is not our policy to do any irrigation watering during the day. That problem has since been identified and remedied. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I can see you had a positive experience of new GM and is adding great value to the property. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy many aspects of the property that seem to be appreciated by others. However we take the comments very seriously and will continue to monitor those areas.

Best,

Gary Randall

Reviewed 29 June 2018

The fact that Prince Harry had stayed at Blue Waters as part of his Official Tour of the Caribbean in November 2016 was not the primary reason for choosing the hotel. Nor was it the hotel’s £4.75m refurbishment programme of all its rooms and suites, presumably soon before the Prince’s arrival. I made my booking solely on the attraction of the hotel and its facilities and the reviews of previous guests as featured on this site. My decision was well placed.

Facilities include the three restaurants of differing styles but all maintaining a high standard of cuisine, snacks, several bars, 9 pools, spa and a centre for a wide variety of water sports including kayaking, windsurfing and use of use of the hobbycats (small, sail catamarans.)

Board type. If you are seriously considering staying at this luxury hotel, don’t now compromise on your board type; best advice is go for ‘All Inclusive’ which, despite the cost, is amazing value and applies to all meals and snacks in all restaurants and drinks everywhere. [There are a few exceptions but these are always highlighted.]

Choosing a Room. Initially I was contemplating the Luxury Hillside rooms which have magnificent views but having looked at the map on BlueWaters own site (bluewaters.net – OVERVIEW Resort Map) it was apparent that they were set some distance back from the seafront and, despite wonderful views of the whole bay were inevitably accessed by quite a lot of steps. Having a bit of a walking problem, I decided that the Deluxe Beachfront rooms were more suited to my needs. I was not disappointed.
I had requested a room near the facilities and was given a room in Block 300 which was very convenient to the Pelican Bar, Reception, and the Palm and Bentley’s
Restaurants. However, it was also rather close to the Bandstand from which live music was performed most evenings. Not so good for oldies like me but I have to say, each performance stopped at 11.00pm.

Understanding the room numbering system. There are 5 x 2 storey blocks of Deluxe Beachfront rooms, odd numbers on the ground floor with private terrace or even numbers above with balcony. (Strangely the rooms are numbered from right to left, not the other way round.) All rooms were spacious and fully equipped. Our ice and mini bars were refreshed on request each day. With one’s back to the sea, Blocks 500 and 400 lie to the left of the main building complex but close to the pools. Block 400 is closest to the restaurants and reception. To the right, Block 100 is the furthest from the complex and nearest to the Water Sports centre, next comes Block 200 and then 300.

The Staff. Obliging, helpful, friendly and always polite. The best way to enhance your relationship with anyone at Blue Waters is to address them by name (all wear name badges) and give them the familiar, “Good morning, are you good today?” which always gets a smiled response. Nicole of Guest Relations was amazingly efficient. We had been trying unsuccessfully to get a table at Bartley's one day. Nicole heard of this and she succeeded in getting us a table then spent some time searching the hotel and grounds till she found us to let us know. Jo at veronica's makes a good cocktail - and rum punches of course.

The Restaurants. Other reports have claimed the various qualities of food in the 3 restaurants, Frankly all are equally good, although the different ambiences and style of cuisine warrant a visit to each of them. The Palm is the most convenient and excellent food. Use a buggy from reception to get to the Cove. A high standard of cuisine is maintained in all restaurants with an offering of a la carte or table d'ote in the evenings. Chose a wine from the excellent house wines and your glass will be replenished as needed throughout the evening. Although A.I., a full lunch was too much for us so we enjoyed a ‘light bite’ at Caroline’s most days. I confirm others' comments - What a gem and a true asset to the hotel Caroline is.
For all meals a reservation of a table is needed. This is best done by speaking to the restaurant direct or booking by telephone from the room.

Water Sports. Great with all non-motorised sports free. The centre will also take you out a mile to the reef which sadly is looking the worse from previous hurricane damage – but there was evidence of new corals growing. Quite a good selection of fish here. Kayaking was good fun but there is quite a current pushing you to the left so advisable to stay mostly on the right hand side of the bay.

Conclusions. Blue Waters, is undoubtedly one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: For a quiet room with convenience to all facilities Block 300 would seem the best - odd numbers on GF; even numbers with balconies above.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KayDee-Essex
Reviewed 23 June 2018

If you want to be made to feel special and pampered this is the place. The staff are all so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We went for our 25th Wedding anniversary and my 60th and it was wonderful. Food very good, room lovely overlooking the sea, we felt safe on the island out and about in our hire car, we got lost but the locals are lovely and helpful.

My only gripe is I booked for two exercise classes but neither teacher turned up may it was because I was the only stupid person wanting to exercise!!!!!! Gym facilities good by the way.

The hardest decision all week was which cocktail next!

Room Tip: All rooms are fine
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 845jack
BWTeam, General Manager at Blue Waters Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear 845jack,
On behalf of the entire team at Blue Waters, allow me to thank you for your review of our Resort and the Island. We are all pleased to know that we were able to play a small part in ensuring your double celebrations were so successful. We look forward to another visit at some time in the future. Thank you again and best regards,
Kevin Phillips