All reviews beau rivage one bedroom suite infinity pool golf course free shuttle water shuttle public ferry hotel ferry hamilton harbor full kitchen huge balcony french restaurant free ferry to hamilton golf club blu restaurant round of golf hot tub
Reviewed 19 September 2016

If your looking for a quiet place with a nice pool & a great room I recommend this hotel. Each room has a beautiful view of the harbor. Another amenity is the boat shuttle to the town which makes for a enjoyable ride into Hamilton instead of a taxi.
The only negative item I experienced with my 5 day stay was that the pool area gets crowded in the afternoon and the hotel does not have enough chairs for their guests especially in the Summer season when families are in attendance.
Unless you need to be on the beach the Newstead is a excellent option for your residence in this beautiful Island.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2016

We've enjoyed stays before here. The location is centrally located-the hotel runs a water shuttle over to Hamilton, and will also shuttle you 5-mins. by taxi to magnificent Elbow Beach where they have a courtesy arrangement with Coco Reef for guests to use their facilities. You can also use the Elbow public beach with portolets, but *not* the private Elbow Beach Resort beach facilities. (If you stay at one of the resorts on Elbow, you get kind of marooned there and limited dining options, unless you rent a scooter or take taxis, since tourists can't rent cars. Walking on the roads felt dicey w/heavy traffic and no walking path along the road.) Rooms and pool are well maintained and lovely. Staff were wonderfully warm when we stayed before, but this year had cranky push back that wasn't welcoming. We asked to use pool noodles, which are stored and not left out, and employee made a big annoyed fuss about getting them. Also, the beach shuttle driver wanted to put our 5 year old in the rear seat of a minivan with no seat belt, no booster, 3 across with another family's kids. I asked to put her in the middle seat next to me with a seat belt. Taxis are exempt from the car seat law in Bermuda, so the least I could do is belt my daughter. Driver complaining and getting obviously upset with us over safety, so he could cram more people in one van trip, is just ridiculous. We're also having a problem with the value equation in Bermuda. When you plan a Bermuda trip, you'll hear that everything is expensive b/c produce etc are mainly shipped in. Look at the hotel menus and Hamilton restaurant menus and you'll get the picture. High thirties into the forty range for entrees is not unusual, like the hotel restaurant. But it's getting silly when I was about to order a slice of chocolate cake from room service one evening and stopped when I figured out that the price plus service charges--not including tip--would be $24 USD!! Our experience with the restaurant & room service is that it's not superlative and doesn't justify these prices. Here's the mystery: we spent a few days in St. George's and had several wonderful meals at Tempest Bistro. The creativity and execution is on a par with the best restaurants in Boston. The review consensus seems to be that Tempest is the best restaurant in all of Bermuda. But wait for it--prices are moderate Boston prices. So if Tempest can do it, what's the deal with the $20-80 hamburgers on the hotel bar menu?

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank BostonTraveller956
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Greetings would-be Bermuda visitors! I moved here this year and got married on this beautiful island! We chose to stay at Newstead for our wedding night, because so many of our overseas visitors were staying at the Hamilton Princess (and we wanted a bit of privacy). We also had our post-wedding brunch scheduled for Newstead's Beau Rivage Restaurant - which was *amazing* and fantastic! Kudos to Dirk and his staff for making that terrific!

But back to the actual hotel/resort. I spent the night before our wedding at the Hamilton Princess, in a very awesome suite with knowledgeable, courteous staff who really catered to me and my overseas guests. Important fact: This suite was approximately the same cost as Newstead. They really were kind and went out of their way for all of us - at the Hamilton Princess. Let me set the scene for you as we arrived at Newstead Belmont Hills. I'm in a long, flowing wedding gown. My new husband is in a blazer and Bermuda shorts. We are all smiles and joy and happiness because it is our wedding day! We have our 1 bag, and 1-2 hand bags.

The bellman brought our bags to the door and left. He did not speak to us or make polite conversation or tell of the resort amenities on the walk to the room. When we arrived, there was no showing of the room, highlighting of the amenities, the view, etc. Ohhhkay. We didn't even know there was a separate water closet until we were checking out of the room!

We loved the ginormous soaking tub, which proved to be the highlight of our stay (other than brunch the next day.)

The A/C in the bedroom blew warm air. The freezer did not get cold. Our wedding night dessert of rum raisin ice cream was milk in just a few hours. We did not bother to report these things to maintenance at the time because it was our wedding night. We didn't want repairmen in the room, and we didn't want to switch rooms so late in the evening.

The following day, there was a mishap with regard which taxi would take which of our guests to the airport. The front desk personnel were incredibly rude and unpleasant. One of the front desk personnel went so far as to charge our room (at checkout) for a trip to the airport because "one of the taxi drivers was promised a fare!" - nevermind that he did indeed receive a fare, just not the airport. Who promised him a fare to the airport?! No matter to them, I suppose, since we were the ones charged for it.

As a new Bermuda resident, my husband and I look forward to upcoming "staycations" and trying out the various resorts around the island. This way we will know first hand which ones to recommend to our friends who visit from overseas.

We will not be returning to Newstead Belmont Hills to stay. Brunch - absolutely! :)) Resort - NO WAY!!

Room Tip: Check to make sure your fridge & freezer, and A/C get COLD before you get comfy in the room you've been assigned. :-/
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
KSB084, Front Office Manager at Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Dear Sameera800,
Thank you for choosing Newstead Belmont Hills and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us. We take all feedback very seriously and will address all areas that you have mentioned.

We do hope we have a chance in the near future to welcome you back to an enjoyable staycation.

Regards,
K.Bean

Reviewed 11 September 2016

Very nice property and pleasant staff; beautiful pool. Newstead seems more geared for corporate visitors or "fractional" property owners. Other than the fee-based spa and pool, there are no on-site activities. There is no beach access; you shuttle across the island to Coco Reef. On weekdays, the Newstead-Hamilton ferry does not run from noon until 5p. It does not run on Sundays or holidays and only 9a-noon on Saturdays. Going to dinner at 7p in Hamilton did not work because the last, weekday ferry left Hamilton at 8:25p. So. we arrived on Saturday but had no ferry access until Monday. We were often told, "you can take a taxi and...," which translates to, "you can add $30-50 each way to your activity cost and....." There is a free shuttle to a very limited number of locations (golf, nearby churches, Coco Reef) but, twice we waited over an hour for a return pick-up. Public buses run frequently but we were told it was not safe to walk a few blocks to the bus stop. The on-site restaurants were very good (best eggs benedict ever) but, twice closed (or opened late) due to weddings or parties. I was told my attire of faded Bermuda shorts, topsiders and a golf shirt was fine for their offsite and upscale Blu Restaurant. My wife's silk blouse, pearls, crisply-pressed linen Bermuda shorts and gold sandals were not. Not surprisingly, her attire was acceptable at other exclusive restaurants such as Waterlot, where we went for our 40th anniversary dinner. I played 9 holes at Newstead golf course but found all fairways burned out or in very poor condition. I did not go back even though it was "free." We arrived on Saturday and - feeling bored and stranded - advised them on Tuesday we were heading to another resort. If your visit is for the purpose of conducting weekday business in Hamilton, or; laying beside a beautiful pool, it works. Otherwise, consider other places.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Connie H
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

This is one of the nicest places to stay in Bermuda! We rent a suite and it is enormous! The best part is the balcony overlooking the harbor. The location is conveniently located with close proximity to Hamilton, South Shore beaches and just about everything else! Having a kitchen makes it easy to have a leisurely breakfast overlooking Hamilton across the harbor before starting the day! Also a great place for sunsets!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple