“All Inclusive is Good Value”

Plaza Resort Bonaire
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kralendijk
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 week with friends last year. I booked the one week all inclusive package which included all meals, 1 week car rental, 11 boat dives, and all drinks. I think it was a good deal overall.

My party was picked up from the airport and dropped to the car rental place. From there, we signed papers to get the SUV and drove to Plaza Resort Bonaire. The car was worn out but it didn't matter to us because we're on an island and we're there to dive.

The check in process was easy. In fact, we were upgraded to an ocean jacuzzi room for FREE. I don't know if that is normal but we didn't mind. The room was a bit of a walk from the main lobby but the room had ocean view so it's totally worth it. The only problem I had with the room was that the phone didn't work but it was fixed after I called the front desk about it. They were responsive.

The meals at Banana Tree were good. Breakfast was buffet style with cooked to order eggs. We ordered off the menu for lunch and dinner. The MAIN issue we had was that it was VERY VERY SLOW. I have been told that it's normal for "island time" but there's so much room for improvement as far as the speed of service though. I think the management needs to spend time training the staff on faster or better service at the restaurant. There was a time when we waited 45 or longer for our order to be served. They must know that many of the guests are divers and the afternoon dive boats leave at 2:00PM or so. The slow service was a constant issue throughout our stay.

We were able to spend a bit of time at the Coconut Crash bar. I'm glad that the drinks were included because they are a bit pricey. With the all inclusive package, that didn't matter and I do think that the package is a great value. The bartenders were very friendly.

Diving with Toucan Diving was good. One of my friends got certified there. Jamie did a great job as an instructor. He was actually our divemaster for two of our dives. Jackson was the best though. He has great personality and we got along well with him. He made diving fun. He even took us to where locals eat - Mikey's (spelling?).

I will definitely go back to Plaza Resort Bonaire. I think they are the only resort in Bonaire with an all inclusive deal.

To Management: I think it will benefit your company/property greatly if the restaurant staff is trained on how to be more attentive to guests and provide faster service (serve food and drinks faster).

Room Tip: Book the all inclusive package. Be prepared for "island time" and mosquitoes Ask to be u...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank pinoygolferaz
plazaresortbonaire1, Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your recent vacation spent here at the Plaza Resort Bonaire. We are elated to know that you have enjoyed your vacation and also that you have made memorable experiences. Thank you very much for your advice and we will keep working on this.

We were happy to have you with us and we look forward to your future visit. Please do not hesitate in contacting us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed 8 January 2013

A disaster. Confusing " token and station" system for drinks and food. Terrible food. Sad Mariachis at the beginning. Music (DJ) started and after half hour stopped (tech problems or what?) After that we left, disappointed. We ended up dancing in our condo and watching the fireworks from there. WAY better than what the Plaza Resort planned for the New Year. It made us really sad.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank E C

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the New Year's Eve 2013 Celebration.
We apologize for the fact we had some tech problems with our system. All in all I still hope that you hade a nice New Years Eve Celebration.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Snorkeling was outstanding off their beach. Water shoes recommended for rocky beach.
Day pass was $5.00 (w/o towel or a drink) versus $15.00 as emailed with use of a towel and drink. Beach chairs and umbrella's were readily available as few resort guests seemed to be evident. Main lobby had good speed wifi and I was offered 240 minutes for $5.00.

Resort is a 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tjwOntario
plazaresortbonaire1, Manager at Plaza Resort Bonaire, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Thank you for sharing with us your experience. We are pleased that you were happy with your visit. We welcome you to visit us in the near future for a full vacation so you may experience more of what our Resort has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

The location is great - can't beat it, the reef and scuba are fabulous, the building and grounds are really nice and the staff are always nice and friendly. I have only good things to say about the location, grounds, scuba, and people.

The concern is the mgmt, and how they view room cleaning, and customer satisfaction. I had the same dirt in the corner of the room/bathroom all week, I was waiting to see if they would clean this - they didn't. I had the same chunks of something on the wall in the bathroom and next to the bed, they didn't clean this either.

The worst where the bed bugs at the Plaza Resort Bonaire, we had no idea we were sleeping with the little vampires for a full week, and didn't realize this until we got back and my girlfriend saw a doctor about the intense itching... (the staff said it was the mosquito's) at that point, it's been a dissaster, and the hotel mgmt could care less. Maybe if I brought them a bed bug in person they would change, but I doubt it - they got my money and that's all they care about.

I've spent over $3,000.00 cleaning my apartment from bed bugs that we brought back from the Plaza resort Bonaire. I've thrown away my new couch after bringing back bed bugs from the Plaza resort Bonaire. I still, and this 2 months after we got home, get random bites from bringing back bed bugs from the plaza resort bonaire. It's no surprise with the terrible job of room cleaning they do, but what surprises me is the disrespect from the mgmt team of the Plaza Resort Bonaire. .

..there are many many nice places on this beautiful island, just stay away from the plaza resort Bonaire. It's under new mgmt, and they are obviously cutting corners by cleaning, and have no professional respect to their customers who paid thousands to stay with them for a week.

Can't beat the reef, the scuba or the system they have in place, it's world class awesome!!! But, you must be willing to deal with bed bugs at the Plaza Resort Bonaire if you want to stay there. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Educate yourself on bed bugs, what to look for, what the bites look like, and if you see them in you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Vince L

First of all, I would like to express our more sincere apologies and, also, gratitude for sharing your comments with us , that helps us to improve our service and product. After reading your comments we enabled the hygienic services, unfortunately without results. We were dissapointed by not coming to the management so we could solved it right away!
We work hard every day to improve our service and product level , trying to give our guests the best quality.

We hope see you again at the Plaza Resort Bonaire and we hope to give you the best of us

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We just returned from a dive trip and stay at Plaza Resort. We are a group of 9 divers most of whom have travelled pretty extensively. I read the mixed reviews on tripadvisor prior to our trip and was a little concerned about the resort. I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff were very helpful and friendly from the time we checked in until the end of our stay. They are a little reserved but opened up very easily when you engaged in conversation. We had an updated room on the first floor room which was very spacious. Not much of a view, but we spend verly little time in the room so it was not important. The patio is nice sized for drying dive equipment. The mosquitos are horrible on the patio and even in the room so bring plenty of bug spray and anti-itch cream because you will get bit. The room floors were mopped every day and we had clean towels daily. You could tell though that the rooms had not had a thorough cleaning in quite some time. I made the mistake of looking under the bed - hadn't been cleaned in awhile. But, it's the carribean and the standards are different.
I cannot say enough about Toucan Divers and the way they treated us. The entire staff went above and beyond what I would have expected. Pieter and Eddy were awesome. Very friendly, lots of bottom time and they often let us pick the dive sites. We had a diver get hurt and the staff took him to the hospital and helped us get through the admission process. I cannot remember the woman's name who took us, but again, just an awesome staff. One thing we learned is that they are not allowed to set up your gear unless you ask for help. We have been in other locations where setting up was part of the service. It wasn't a big deal and we probably should stay in practice setting up gear anyway. They make shore diving very easy. Pick up tanks at dive shop, hop in your car and just look for the yellow stone markers. They offer Nitrox for free which was great. We did mostly boat dives, but if we went back would probably do more shore diving.

The food is ok. Breakfast was buffet, but there was plenty of variety to include made to order eggs. Lunch was probably my least favorite meal. There was typically a small buffet and you could order off the menu. I just didn't care for much of the food. We ate most dinners at the buffet. A couple were fantastic, a couple mediocre. We did eat at the upscale Tipsy Seagull a couple times. Food was very good, but service is extremely slow. Expect to spend at least 2 hours.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank diveonSt_Charles

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback. We are pleased to know that you loved your vacation here at the Plaza Resort Bonaire. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the toucan diving, and the staff.