“Turtletastic!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Turtletastic!”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We fluked upon this little place one evening when we spotted it down a side street. It looked good and they had a table. The chap who served us was incredibly polite and had an air of authority and pride around him like it was his place. There was a sign above the door saying Andy so I guess that must have been him.
There is an indoor pond with turtles in it, it was extremely clean and did not smell, no mean feat to achieve. I know because I had some when I was a kid. The turtles crowded to the side for food each time someone went close to the pond, it was fun to watch.
We ordered choritzo pizza which was acceptable but had too much cheese on it. I am highly critical of pizza and have my own top 10 list going back 30 years so others less fussy may rate it more highly than me. The meat was good but under the cheese, a personal no no for me, you have to let sliced meats crisp just a little on a pizza. The water was good, mineral water in a glass bottle, so much better than plastic. Everything was extremely inexpensive.
There was a buzzing atmosphere and they were packed out turning tables like mad. Andy will be making a fortune if the country ever turns capitalist, clearly many of the clients were repeat business. They even had a parking valet!
There was a problem-for a short while around 5 minutes there was engine revving outside. Our table was near the door and exhaust fumes rushed through the door. We never found out why but it was unpleasant for that portion of the meal.
Overall it was a good snack though and perfectly adequate, I would go back again. I'm going to tick scenic view because it looked like there was but it was pitch black outside, I'd be interested to be corrected or confirmed by another reviewer though.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank ajscubapro
el farallon e, Public Relations Manager at El Farallon, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear ajscubapro,

Thank you for the kind review. We are always happy to get our customers feedback as the best way to improve our performance.
Our turtles also appreciate your comments. A while ago someone suggested that we get rid of them to make room for more tables but the owner adamantly refused so I'm happy to report that they are still taking their morning shower everyday!
We are currently working on a project to isolate the area where you ate in order to have AC, which will also eliminate any nuisance from outside.
As per placing the chorizo under the cheese you are absolutely right, it was a slip of the mind and we've brought it to the attention of our chef.
We'd very much love to have you back for the scenic view as well as the new additions to our menu!

P.S: the owner's name is Manuel. The small sign outside ( Andy) was place when his first son was
born 11 years ago. Manuel sure hopes he makes a fortune in the future though Andy hasn't showed any interest in the restaurant business and wants to build cars instead. Thank you again

New York City, New York
“Great pizzeria/restaurante in Havana's Vedado!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I went to Farallon on a weekend last January, on the advice of Cuban friends we wanted to treat to dinner. Had a little wait (next time I'll make a reservation), but it was worth it. It's a great value-for-money option in Havana, if you want to treat cubans as well as have a good meal yourself. The service was fast and friendly and the food was tasty and plenty: the Italian fare, mainly Farallon pizza and pastas were a hit among our group, while our Cuban guests loved their meat dishes. The dinner for 8 cost us around 110 cuc, including tips (that's Cuban convertible pesos for you, some 130 dollars), a real bargain; although I should say that only four of us had alcoholic drinks. If you have a sweet tooth, try their desserts, they are great: ask for the tres leches cake or the pineapple or coconut icecream served on the halved fruit, and you'll thank me for the tip.

• Visited January 2012