“Twice in a week!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I travel to DR at least once a year. We have been to many restaraunts in Santo Domingo but Pasatiempo is the best Italian food! We loved it so much we went twice during our 4 day stay. The food is authentic Italian. It is fresh and well made. The sweets are excellent we had terimassu and Tartuffo the best I've had since our trip to Italy. Our waitress was attentive and helpfull.
Enrico (the chef/owner) is so kind. He sits at the bar greets you and then goes back to the kitchen to cook. It so laid back and yet the food is so high end. We have been to Angelo's which is about a block away and while the food is good it is not as good as Angelo's. You get more bang for you buck at Pasatiempo believe me. We ended our meal with a delicious shot of lemancello. All in all a great experience.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We love the city and its many restaurants, but none are quite like this. Quaint with amazing food. Everything is good and I am usually fussy. Highly recommend risotto with lamb shank. Enrico is great and service was fantastic. Best Italian food we have had in years - sorry NYC!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

If not, give it a miss. The owner tries to bring you in by describing it as the best Italian restaurant in Santo Domingo - but it is not. Cafe Bellini and Angelo's are both far superior. I went there the night before a holiday, true, but that does not excuse the 70-minute delay in bringing any food to our table. When it did arrive, it was ok but definitely not worth the wait. The veal escalope was on the tough side, and I suspect it had been defrosted too quickly. The tiramisu was possibly the worst I have had in my life - comletely squelchy and soggy. The waitress, though inefficient, was pleasant and repeatedly apologized for all the items she had forgotten.
The ambience is okay - a bit too cutesy-pooh for my taste, and the plastic tablecloths don't add to the ambience.

1  Thank realmsofgold
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Looks better inside than it does from outside, despite the weird flashing sign on the sidewalk. I went here twice - once with a large group and once alone. The large group appeared to overwhelm the kitchen and it took forever to get the food. But, once the food arrived everyone liked what they ordered. I recommend the farfalle with shrimp and zucchini. The wines are not that good - I agree with previous reviewers - the house wine is pretty bad and even when our group ordered a bottle of red and one of white (recommended by the owner), no one liked the wine. The owner is not flexible at all - no changes in the dishes allowed. The owner helped wait on the large group, but when I went alone, the server appeared to have no knowledge of the food or wines and was very timid. And never checked back once the food was delivered (which took a while).

So, if you want good pasta - go - but be patient and maybe don't bother with wine.

1  Thank Rorinho
Reviewed 10 March 2012

As many others I was impressed by the praise this place has gotten. The very bad housewine spoiled the first impression. And the decor is so la la. Well, it would be ok, if some commentators would not catapult this place to a world leader... But then: This ristorante serves the best melanzane al parmiggiano. This IS world class! and my spaghetti con arrogosta were "al dente", and the sugo wonderful. The service is professional. It is unfair to blame Enrico for acting as chef and therefore not entertaining his guests while waiting for the food. - Not cheap.