“Nice place ”

Green House Aparta Hotel
Green House Aparta Hotel
Ranked #45 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 24 June 2015 via mobile

This place was nice for the price. Lots of space and had private bathrooms. Wifi. Laundry service. Refrigerators. And hotel staff were very helpful. Restaurants were relatively farther away but a big grocery is in the city. Taxis available

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank taylord256

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I found Green House by accident, so was a 'walk-in', without any reservation. It turned out to be a lucky find, since I don't think I could have done better. The friendly staff welcomed me and showed me a variety of rooms, with different prices. Since I don't like air-con, they had one with a huge fan right above the bed! Perfect for me. The price I paid, rd1000, or about $25 per/nite also included a full breakfast every morning, and they even made extra coffee for me!

This place is also very quiet and has a very safe feeling to it. During the 5 nites I stayed there, there was no loud music or partying at all. For families with women and children, this would also be a good choice, since it's not any sort of 'love-hotel', that you often find in these parts, but perfectly respectable for anyone.

The location is also quite good since you can walk all around the colonial section, harbour, etc.
I even felt quite safe walking back at nite, at least up till about 10pm.

I highly recommend Green House for your stay in Santo Domingo!

Room Tip: They have rooms on the ground floor for those who don't like stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

The friend recommended this place after the first one turned out to be so very bad. I needed a 1 month apartment with the kitchen and refrigerator. I expected to find ventilation, cable TV, and WiFi. What I got was the typical smiling Dominican lies. Because I was hot and tired and disgusted with the last place, I took this one at face value. Dominicans do not understand the concept of repeat business and see all foreigners as wallets to be emptied. No difference here. They demanded full payment up front as if this were a lease. Very good price if it actually had the services and infrastructure that they claimed. I paid for an apartment but they lied to me about 1 being available and I spent several days in a small hotel room. I am now and what they call an apartment, which is another small hotel room with a 4 burner propane stove put on the counter of a tiny kitchenette. After 3 days of waiting for a difference, lack of water pressure here on the fourth floor was confirmed as what the locals call normal. Since I am not here as a tourist, I would like to use the cable television, included in the price. Not happening in this room; after 4 or 5 days. So the owners, the people that run the place, the managers, whoever the are, I just the same lazy, irresponsible, arrogant flyers as can be found all over this city. I've been asking for clean sheets and towels for 2 days now several times a day, and the Dominican answer is that the solitary house maid can only clean so many rooms in a week. Like the last place I reviewed, the kitchen hygiene is not to be trusted, nobody lifted the stopper from the sink to Remove the garbage and pieces of food. This is a very Dominican experience though, a coldwater fourth floor walkup whose power sometimes just stops for several hours. It only got anything is high is it too because everybody's been very pleasant. Lazy and dishonest, but pleasant. And thanks to their ignorance of modern laundering, my vintage tie dyed Yellowstone Park tshirt is now a stark white.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Davetourist
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We are happy with our clean room for 60 usd per night for a triple. We are a family of 4 and there is more than enough sleeping space. The front desk is very helpful and nice. We booked this hotel by emailing the place and they responded right away. They also arranged a taxi for us to meet us at the airport, the ride cost us 35 usd. This isn't the Hilton, but a nice clean family run place that we feel good about, especially with kids

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank 20now40
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I am an american male that has been to santo domingo 5 times each time always staying around the area of zona colonial (very close to gazcue). The last time I went I went with a friend and upon another good friends recommendation we stayed at the green house. It was definitely a notch above what I was used to as far as just being a nicer hotel (i often was dealing without hot water at other hotels for the same price in my previous visits). I came to learn however, to my horror, that the woman who was at least part owner of the hotel would actually regulate the females that my friend and I would bring up to the hotel room. If she were at the desk she would not allow for us to bring two girls up to the room at the same time. Nor, would she allow for one girl to be in the room with us if she knew we were both there.
On that note, one day I was actually feeling kinda sick and tired and I was laying in my bed in the hotel room. I got a call from my frend that he met two SMOKING hot young dominicanas and they wanted to come to the room. I'm feeling a lot less sick and a lot less tired at this point in anticipation of their arrival. I get another call...its my friend again saying that they are in the lobby and not only the girl that i was to meet was not allowed in because she didn't happen to have an ID....... I actually would need for that woman owner to see me leave the room in order for him and his girl to come up in the room. Well, i did it. i sat in the lobby, sick ,tired and bored off my but. I found out later that she was always talking about the bible....it figures. The green house? A nice hotel as long as you don't want any company over. BTW things were MUCH MUCH better for us when she wasn't around....so it is possible u can get lucky...but why should one have to even worry about such things?

Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple