What can I say? OMG, too much. What a disappointment. It was 3 couples that went from Dec 29/11 thru Jan 05/12 The trip for was a gift for my 50th from my husband. The trip from airport to hotel was painless and check in was very quick. We did ask for an upgrade but were turned down as they said they were fully booked. We went to customer services right away to try to book a restaurant for dinner as the 29th was my actual birthday. It wasn't to be had. We couldn't get into ANY of the ala cartes, which didn't change thru out our stay. WELL, I guess I shouldn't say that as we did BULLY our way in to 2 separate ala cartes. The Indochine which really was good although portions for the appetizers were very, very small. The Mexican which was also very good. Oops, getting off track here. We were quite excited as we were taken to our rooms as the grounds are gorgeous and well maintained, it was very short lived. We were in the older standard section and the rooms definitely showed it . Our room was without hairdryer, without tv remote, without iron and without a blanket. The bathroom itself was a total joke and disgusting, the tub had lumps in it. I was literally scared that it was going to crack. We received a blanket the next day. My sister and husbands room wasn't any better and my girlfriend and her husbands room was an absolute nightmare. The ceiling in the bathroom leaked for 3 nights getting all there stuff wet and water actually was running out of there room into the hallway. It eventually got fixed when they went and got irate about it. We have all travelled together before and we really are easy to get along with. We were determined that we were there to have a blast and WE DID. So off to celebrate birthday supper at the buffet. I don't think I have ever felt so let down. We had burgers that were raw and we had to get them recooked and half weiners dipped in batter like corndogs and fries. The was some rice and some fish and some awful tasting chicken but the fish smell was so overpowering that everything tasted fishy. I am not a fish eater so this was awful for me. Off to get some drinks and have fun. We grabbed our drinks at the lobby/pool bar and went down to the beach which is dark by this time. This is the first time I have ever been anywhere where I have had to ask them to put more alcohol in my drink, it is usually the other way around and I am asking them to put less. Walking around familiarizing ourselves with the beach was wonderful and had a very calming effect on us. My sister and I actually found a little bar just left of the hotel on the beach called AHORAS which we decided we would visit in the near future. Time for bed and off we went. The buffet never got better, we never got into the Brazilian as they supposedly were only open on certain nights and were booked solid. We saw it open many times and of course it was never full. There was a wonderfull little Tapas bar just outside the buffet but NO we werent members and it was a members only area. Go figure right outside the entrance to the buffet. Anyhow, Day Two, the ocean and weather was beautiful, the beach buffet and regular buffet for lunch were again awful. For supper we decided to go to AHORAS and what an enjoyable evening, The host and his staff bent over backwards for the six of us and the food was amazing. I shared a steak/lobster for two with my brother-in-law and it was spectacular. When we made our reservation in the afternoon he did take a $20 Deposit and asked who would be having lobster as it would be that days catch. The appetizers were all very good and the rest in the group had steak and ribs and raved about them, The wine list was unfamiliar to us but we were guaranteed if we did not like our choice he would buy us another bottle. I believe 2 were purchased that night.
The nightly entertainment was mediocre at best although the staff tried and like I said we were determined to have a blast. My husband was on stage one night and won a bottle of rum and a horseback ride for two which we never used. The beach was separated into us and them, vip time share owners and chameleon gold(that's a joke) I have booked through Nolitours many times and was always happy with our purchase, they are way off base this time and to save their name they should pull out pronto. The Salesman are obnoxious at best, one guy even chased us down the stairs. They are completely scripted, if you don't go on a tour they won't get there $10 and they have babies at home. The one guy was older than my dad for pete's sake. They are in every high traffic area. We tried the buffet at the Tropical at the neighboring resort and were just as disappointed it. The theme was Mediterranean night and there wasn't any silverware or plates. It took forever to get seated and my husband and our friend brought their plates back to the table first and started and it was so bad we got up and left before the rest of us even hit the buffet, guess what was being served at our buffet? You got it, the exact same thing. In all fairness the breakfast at the buffet was passable only because of the omelette station. When the six of us booked this vacation it was still Be Live Grand Ambar and we paid top dollar. Approx $3500 per couple, each couple thru a different travel agent. We DID NOT get our value out of this vacation. Most people work hard for there vacation time and the money to be able to do it. We came home feeling like we hadn't been on vacation. The last two days didn't make things any easier as it rained and my sister and I were both ill. We have chalked it up to the food or heat stroke we really can't say which but we were both bed ridden for the rest of the vacation Before I forget, we did experience the spa and it was fabulous and we didn't feel like 3rd rate citizens while there. I had the aromatherapy massage for 55 min and it was the highlight of my vacation, if by some misfortune you end up there, treat yourself, you'll need it. We DID enjoy ourselves off resort and when in the ocean. Lots of noise during the night, puking right outside room, someone having sex in the corridor, arguing at 3 am , but no security. During the day at the smaller pool by the FROST bar (which never opened) security was always present and it was creepy like the guy was a peeper made me very uncomfortable and guests and staff alike were all unable to smile. That was noticed through out the whole resort, no smiles, so maybe we needed to be watched cuz we laughed and made the best of it. Just trying to give everyone a heads up. Been to Punta Cana and the experience was incredible but I think I am Dominicanned out. Been to Cuba several times and Mexico and never felt the need to do a review such as this. Please read the posts prior to mine and the ones to come as they are accurate. My sister and friend will be posting there own reviews make sure to read them. Enjoy your vacation STAY AWAY from Grand Ambar or Confresi Beach or whatever they call it now. Oh Yah, the IT ZONE is a joke, just hype.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata