“Confresi Palm Beach Resort / Grand Ambar by Lifestyles”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 10 January 2012

What can I say? OMG, too much. What a disappointment. It was 3 couples that went from Dec 29/11 thru Jan 05/12 The trip for was a gift for my 50th from my husband. The trip from airport to hotel was painless and check in was very quick. We did ask for an upgrade but were turned down as they said they were fully booked. We went to customer services right away to try to book a restaurant for dinner as the 29th was my actual birthday. It wasn't to be had. We couldn't get into ANY of the ala cartes, which didn't change thru out our stay. WELL, I guess I shouldn't say that as we did BULLY our way in to 2 separate ala cartes. The Indochine which really was good although portions for the appetizers were very, very small. The Mexican which was also very good. Oops, getting off track here. We were quite excited as we were taken to our rooms as the grounds are gorgeous and well maintained, it was very short lived. We were in the older standard section and the rooms definitely showed it . Our room was without hairdryer, without tv remote, without iron and without a blanket. The bathroom itself was a total joke and disgusting, the tub had lumps in it. I was literally scared that it was going to crack. We received a blanket the next day. My sister and husbands room wasn't any better and my girlfriend and her husbands room was an absolute nightmare. The ceiling in the bathroom leaked for 3 nights getting all there stuff wet and water actually was running out of there room into the hallway. It eventually got fixed when they went and got irate about it. We have all travelled together before and we really are easy to get along with. We were determined that we were there to have a blast and WE DID. So off to celebrate birthday supper at the buffet. I don't think I have ever felt so let down. We had burgers that were raw and we had to get them recooked and half weiners dipped in batter like corndogs and fries. The was some rice and some fish and some awful tasting chicken but the fish smell was so overpowering that everything tasted fishy. I am not a fish eater so this was awful for me. Off to get some drinks and have fun. We grabbed our drinks at the lobby/pool bar and went down to the beach which is dark by this time. This is the first time I have ever been anywhere where I have had to ask them to put more alcohol in my drink, it is usually the other way around and I am asking them to put less. Walking around familiarizing ourselves with the beach was wonderful and had a very calming effect on us. My sister and I actually found a little bar just left of the hotel on the beach called AHORAS which we decided we would visit in the near future. Time for bed and off we went. The buffet never got better, we never got into the Brazilian as they supposedly were only open on certain nights and were booked solid. We saw it open many times and of course it was never full. There was a wonderfull little Tapas bar just outside the buffet but NO we werent members and it was a members only area. Go figure right outside the entrance to the buffet. Anyhow, Day Two, the ocean and weather was beautiful, the beach buffet and regular buffet for lunch were again awful. For supper we decided to go to AHORAS and what an enjoyable evening, The host and his staff bent over backwards for the six of us and the food was amazing. I shared a steak/lobster for two with my brother-in-law and it was spectacular. When we made our reservation in the afternoon he did take a $20 Deposit and asked who would be having lobster as it would be that days catch. The appetizers were all very good and the rest in the group had steak and ribs and raved about them, The wine list was unfamiliar to us but we were guaranteed if we did not like our choice he would buy us another bottle. I believe 2 were purchased that night.
The nightly entertainment was mediocre at best although the staff tried and like I said we were determined to have a blast. My husband was on stage one night and won a bottle of rum and a horseback ride for two which we never used. The beach was separated into us and them, vip time share owners and chameleon gold(that's a joke) I have booked through Nolitours many times and was always happy with our purchase, they are way off base this time and to save their name they should pull out pronto. The Salesman are obnoxious at best, one guy even chased us down the stairs. They are completely scripted, if you don't go on a tour they won't get there $10 and they have babies at home. The one guy was older than my dad for pete's sake. They are in every high traffic area. We tried the buffet at the Tropical at the neighboring resort and were just as disappointed it. The theme was Mediterranean night and there wasn't any silverware or plates. It took forever to get seated and my husband and our friend brought their plates back to the table first and started and it was so bad we got up and left before the rest of us even hit the buffet, guess what was being served at our buffet? You got it, the exact same thing. In all fairness the breakfast at the buffet was passable only because of the omelette station. When the six of us booked this vacation it was still Be Live Grand Ambar and we paid top dollar. Approx $3500 per couple, each couple thru a different travel agent. We DID NOT get our value out of this vacation. Most people work hard for there vacation time and the money to be able to do it. We came home feeling like we hadn't been on vacation. The last two days didn't make things any easier as it rained and my sister and I were both ill. We have chalked it up to the food or heat stroke we really can't say which but we were both bed ridden for the rest of the vacation Before I forget, we did experience the spa and it was fabulous and we didn't feel like 3rd rate citizens while there. I had the aromatherapy massage for 55 min and it was the highlight of my vacation, if by some misfortune you end up there, treat yourself, you'll need it. We DID enjoy ourselves off resort and when in the ocean. Lots of noise during the night, puking right outside room, someone having sex in the corridor, arguing at 3 am , but no security. During the day at the smaller pool by the FROST bar (which never opened) security was always present and it was creepy like the guy was a peeper made me very uncomfortable and guests and staff alike were all unable to smile. That was noticed through out the whole resort, no smiles, so maybe we needed to be watched cuz we laughed and made the best of it. Just trying to give everyone a heads up. Been to Punta Cana and the experience was incredible but I think I am Dominicanned out. Been to Cuba several times and Mexico and never felt the need to do a review such as this. Please read the posts prior to mine and the ones to come as they are accurate. My sister and friend will be posting there own reviews make sure to read them. Enjoy your vacation STAY AWAY from Grand Ambar or Confresi Beach or whatever they call it now. Oh Yah, the IT ZONE is a joke, just hype.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here Block 204 and 205 face all the air conditioning units. Its loud and un...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Snowlakesquad1

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Upon the death of my grandmother at age 97 my father decided to use some of his inheritance to take my brother, my sisters and all of the grandchildren to Cofresi Palm resort. He had been to other resorts in the Dominican Republic many times and wanted to expose the entire family, 16 in all, to the great tourist atmosphere he had always experienced. Cofresi Palm failed miserably to measure up to what my father hoped for.

The rooms were pitiful – small, dingy, and poorly lit. We had 5 rooms in the 200 building and one in the 500. Each room was supposed to have a stocked refrigerator. One was empty. One didn’t work at all and another was not very cold and ran very noisily. The thermostat in my room was nonfunctional. There were only sheets on our beds – no blankets. My wife, daughter and I froze the entire 1st night. There were no box springs under the mattress. I did not sleep well the entire week. My sister and her family of 4 were assigned a room with 1 bed. They called the front desk to change rooms and were told they would be called back. They never were. It was 10:30 pm when we checked in. They finally switched rooms with my Father. They were tired and wanted to get their 3 year old son and 6 year old daughter to sleep. There was a ribbon of lights which lined the bottom of the beds. There was no switch to turn it off. They found a custodian walking by about 11:45 pm and asked him how to turn it off. He could not figure it out. He got help from 2 other staff members and around 12:15 am they pulled the bed away from the wall and unplugged the light. They noticed a sewer like odor intermittently. The next morning we could see that there room drained to a septic tank. Every time anyone in the 200 building used enough water the odor would be stirred up in room 20213.

The next morning we attended the orientation meeting. Dominique from Nolitours was pleasant and informative. Following the presentation a few of us spoke to her. She had to give another talk and referred us to her partner in the tour office. Another patron spoke to her first complaining about the quality of her rooms. She stated the advertised 4.5 star rooms did not even qualify for 2 star, due to among other things, a musty odor and dirty curtains. She was told to come back at 3pm for a possible room change. When it was my turn I agreed with most of the previous complaints and told her of my freezing night in the tropics with no blanket and a non-functioning thermostat as well as the malfunctioning and under stocked refrigerators. She told me that the resort was under new management as of a month ago and carefully recorded my complaints. I asked her where I could get drinking water being in an all inclusive package. She asked if we received bottles of water in our room refrigerators. I responded that we did receive 2 bottles in some of the rooms but hardly enough for an entire week. She looked me straight in the eye and asked “Can’t you take the empty bottles to the bar to be refilled.” It was then I understood what we would have to deal with for the remainder of the week. She also suggested we come back at 3:00 to see if different rooms were available. My sister-in-law and I decided against this as not to make my father feel bad.

There was a small army of men in white shirts offering a tour of the Crown Villa area. My father took a ride with Hector who told him an immediate upgrade was available for our group with a purchase of a time-share for an additional $10,000. These men pestered us every day of the trip. Had they been used instead to staff the hotel I believe we could have had a wonderful time as the facilities have the potential to be high-class

Of the 6 or 7 bars in Cofresi palm never were more than 2 open at once for our package often staffed by only 1 bartender. There was a pool bar close to my fathers room that remained closed the entire week. The buffet was very limited and some of the selections were handed out in small portions by the staff. 4 in our group lost a day to illness likely caused by this food. The best meal we had that week we paid for at a nice restaurant a short walk from the resort. The last day we had breakfast at the Cassiblanca. The food was just as bad. The birds who kept stealing pastries from the didn't seem to mind. I guess the food was for the birds!

Restaurant reservations were clearly rationed. We were not allowed to make reservations until 9:00 am the day of service. Each day there was a long line at guest services at this time. Owing to the fact that I could not sleep due to my uncomfortable bed I decided on Wednesday to line up early. I was 1st in line around 8:15am. A pleasant young lady named Indiana opened the door around 8:20 and took my request for internet access for the 1 computer that worked in the room and casino vouchers. She explained to me that she could not take dining reservations until 9:00am as the computers would not accept them until that time. I said that was fine and waited with some other guests who were lining up for reservations. We all commiserated our similar stories of inadequate service. Around 8:50 am after a line behind me stretched through most of the lobby, Indiana said she was ready to take dining requests. My 1st 2 choices of restaurants were closed that evening. I chose the Italian restaurant and she informed me that there were not enough tables and I would be put on a waiting list. Unsurprised at this point I requested 7 chairs which she informed me would be verified between 4:00 & 6:00pm. She did not enter this information into a computer. She recorded it on a paper list. It is clear that she is to wait for a long line to form in the lobby in order to discourage patrons from eating at the restaurants. When she does begin taking reservations there are none to be had even for the 1st in line. Around 5:45 p.m. a voucher for 4 seats was slipped under the door of my room. I was 1st in line and only received a portion of seats I had asked for. These went unused only because my sister after requesting a room change due to the odor and high traffic was offered a room across the hall which represented little improvement. After multiple meetings with hotel staff she was left in tears in front of many of them. They did make an effort to offer some preference by giving our group the reservations I was unable to secure.

The staff was courteous, worked hard and was always quick to answer questions and send you on your way. Occasionally they even gave you a correct answer. I give them a lot of credit for attempting to keep up with the demand. None of the staff we had spoken to had worked at Cofresi for more than a few weeks. It was becoming clear they were thrown into a situation with inadequate resources and knowledge of their surroundings in a blatant attempt to offer poor service as an alternative to better service offered for people who bought into the time-share program. The previous staff had been purged. They might have actually been able to take care of us. When went to the Crown Villa complex we had to avoid being run over by the VIP’s in golf carts. I also tried the beer in 3 different Crown Villa bars. Something was not right about it as it tasted as it had been diluted with seawater.

When my father spoke to the tour rep at the end of the week she believed we supposed to have been housed in the 300 or 400 buildings which are newer and larger. She wondered if the staff had made an error checking us in. It seems more likely that this was Intentional. We heard that the 200 buildings had just recently been re-opened after not being used for some time.

I have read some reviews of Cofresi on Trip Advisor. Many of them were very satisfied owing to the fact that they had paid as little as $11 per night for a room. For what we received, I would say that is a fair price. That, however, is not what my father paid out of my Grandmother’s life savings. Nolitours and Cofresi Palm did NOT provide the service that my father purchased. I complained via email to the hotel and the tour operator and received no response.

This place is a trap. Do not waist your money here. Do not deal with Nolitours. We talked to some guest that had returned here because they had a wonderful time at a wedding here a few months ago. The new management has destroyed this beautiful resort in an effort to sell time shares. They will not last long. There will be no repeat customers. There are many other fine resorts in this beautiful country worthy of your money.

Room Tip: 400 building
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mike m
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Just returned home from a 1 week stay at Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort. First of all, there is a class system. Gold bracelets (time share), 2 bracelets (upgrade or something) and Chameleon (3rd class) (* no staff member of the resort will explain to you what the difference is, you have to find out on your own*). When we booked our trip, our travel agent had told us that this was an excellent all inclusive resort. We made sure we had access to everything the resort had to offer, and we also had this confirmed, or so we thought. We ended up with the Chameleon bracelets, which allowed us access to only a small % of the resort. There were beaches we were not allowed on and restaurants and bars we were restricted from. The rooms were terrible. Broken fridges, mould, bugs, terrible service (with the exception of the restaurant and cleaning staff) We were also told that we could have as many a la cartes as possible. Wrong. Guests who did not have "VIP" (gold bracelet) status, were forced to line up every morning at 8 a.m at the Guest Services office to have their names put down on a WAITING LIST, with the small chance of actually getting a good meal. The alternative?, a sub-par buffet that served the same food every night. Watch your step!!!!!, the entire resort features path ways, patios and stairways made out of limestone and cheap tile which when wet turn into slip and slide nightmares. Numerous people were walking around the resort with bruises, cuts and even crutches after suffering serious falls. A member of our group slipped walking down a stairway, hurting their leg pretty badly and the staff didnt even make an effort to help.

Deffinitly not worth the money spent. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful place to visit, the excursions are a blast, and the culture is very eye opening and inspiring. But save yourself a huge headache and do your research before you plan anything. Im sure if you want to spend the money to be VIP then the experience would be different. But why be forced to have a vacation that is limited because of a class system? AVOID!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get at least a Junior Suite.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank J P
Reviewed 8 January 2012

January 8, 2012

RE: Vacation December 30, 2011 – January 6, 2012, Grand Ambar Puerto Plata

Dear Nolitours,

The purpose of this letter is twofold. First and foremost it is a formal complaint of the vacation service you provided us. Second, it will act as a review, which will be posted in as many travel forums as I can find to warn travellers of this resort and Nolitours service. We were a group of 5 – my sister, brother-in-law, niece, nephew, and myself.

First of all, this resort is not called Grand Ambar by Lifestyle; it is called Cofresi Palm Beach Resort and Spa, and is part of a huge complex called Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club (LHVC); much more on LHVC to come. Nowhere on this resort is there any indication that the resort is called Grand Ambar by Lifestyles, I have no idea why Nolitours continues to call it by an incorrect name.

This resort is not a 4.5 star resort as classified by Nolitours. Based on the poor service and plethora of issues I cannot recommend this resort to anyone. Please head my advice and save your hard-working money for a different place. I must also warn you to stay clear of Nolitours. Our problems at this resort started the second we entered the lobby. We arrived at 10:30 p.m. and just anted to get to our rooms to freshen up and get some rest after a long day of travel. We entered into one of two lines, 30 people deep, to check-in. When we got to the desk we received our room key cards. I asked to purchase safe keys and was told I had to see the cashier. The cashier was the guy to the right who was currently checking people in and had a line of 30 people deep. I said I just waited 40 minutes to check in and now I have to get in that long line to get a safe key?” The response was yes. I waited another 40 minutes to buy our safe keys.

Getting to our rooms 1.5 hours after arriving we were appalled. We had two rooms and they were right beside each other. I contacted the hotel directly myself a month prior to ask for our rooms to be close. I also noted that we required two double beds in each room and I was assured that this was booked. Upon arriving to our room building, we had to go downstairs – yes, our rooms were in a basement! There was a massive pool of water in the hall and it was seeping under both doors. We entered our rooms and there was considerable amounts of water on the floors of both rooms. One of our rooms had one bed only. We were supposed to have beach towels in the rooms upon arrival – there were none. We were supposed to have welcome bottles of alcohol in the rooms – there were none. One room had only one bath towel (for 3 people). The same room had no toilet paper, the toilet bowl was tapped together, and the sink had a hole in it – water leaked to the floor when you turned on the faucet. One room was so very musty and moldy smelling. Both rooms had no tv remotes (needed to operate tv), no irons or ironing boards. We called the front desk and demanded to be moved right away, as our rooms were not acceptable. We were told that this was impossible because the entire resort was full and not one room was available. We were told we had to stay there the night and we might be able to move in the morning. We were told our bath towels, beach towels, remotes would be sent down, a maid would come and clean up the massive amount of water, and a new bed would be brought down right away. An hour later a single mattress came and was jammed into the room directly on the floor. Nothing else came and the water was never cleaned. After three more phone calls of complaints we decided to just get some sleep and get everything else sorted in the morning.

We awoke in the morning and called reception right away to remind them that none of our problems had been sorted and that we needed to change rooms. We were told we would not know anything until at the earliest 4 pm. We had showers in cold water (no hot all week) and three people used the same bath towel to dry. Yes people, three people had to use the same bath towel at a 4.5 star resort! After breakfast we went back to the room to pick up our beach towels – they still had not arrived. I went to the beach towel hut and asked for 5 towels, I was told I could only get beach towels by exchanging old ones or submitting towel cards. I told him I have nether – towels denied. I went to reception and waited in line for 30 minutes and asked for my towel cards. I was told the towels are left in the rooms. I explained that we did not receive beach towels and that I had already called 4 times to get them. I was told that they would be delivered to my room and I had to wait. I lost it and told the guy I wanted my towels now. To avoid any further scene he handed me over 5 towel cards. At least now we could go to the beach and enjoy the day before hopefully being moved.

We went to the Nolitours welcome meeting and met our Rep. named Dominique. She was the most brutal tour representative we had ever experienced. We explained all of our issues and she told us to complain to Nolitours, and not to her! I was absolutely dumbfounded at this response. She also explained that it was New Years Eve and that she was leaving early to party and we should not expect much Nolitour service that day or the next. She was a complete joke!

We went back to reception around 3 pm and we could move in an hour. We went to our dungeon rooms and packed all or belongings. Reception gave us our new room keys and off we went to the other side of the resort. Upon entering our new rooms we had one bed in each! Are you freaking kidding me? What part of two beds don’t you understand? We moved again to two different buildings and were finally in two rooms with two double beds each. This was 8pm on New Years Eve! Our safe locks did not work in the new rooms as they were a different size – we had to get that sorted. It was one complaint after another, waiting after waiting, and being treated poorly during our entire week at this resort.

Other notable issues:

• Had hot water one day only and it was luke warm at best (and it was at 10 pm in the evening). We never had hot water for morning or dinner preparation showers.
• Never received our welcome alcohol bottles.
• Mini fridge was only refilled once. Only had bottled water twice during the entire week.
• Never received irons in our rooms.
• Our room was never cleaned prior to 5pm. On most occasions the maid was attempting to clean our rooms while we were getting ready for dinner. In most cases we used dirty towels to dry. As a result our rooms were never really fully cleaned. We complained about the late cleanings every day – it was never resolved except for the day of checkout when they wanted to kick us out of our rooms right away.
• Two power outages during the week for several hours each. One at 8 in the morning while getting ready to leave for the day. We inquired about each outage and were told that they are doing repairs at the resort. If you planned the outages for repairs why did you not inform guests so that they could plan around this?
• I have had better buffets at 3 star resorts. Very limited selection and limited wait staff.
• Unable to book A la cartes all week. Told to come back at 9 every morning to book. We did this every day and were told they same thing each day: “all full.”
• Nolitours states that you have a separate check-in as being a part of their Cameleon Gold Club – not true! This resort is Nolitours exclusive only. No other tour companies go there.
• Nolitours says you get $50 in free Casino money with no restrictions. You actually get only $50 per room, and can only get $10 per day – so you have to go back 5 times, 5 different days to get the full $50. You also have to take a taxi to the casino as the resort will not shuttle you there and the ride costs you $7. Once at the casino you can only use the $10 on a limited number of tables and slot machines. What a complete Joke!
• The line for guest services was at least 40 people deep every day. Every person we spoke to had a complaint about many different things. When we got on the best to go back to the airport on our last day the tour guy asked how we enjoyed our trip – the entire bus booed!
• We booked the Paradise Island Catamaran trip. My niece and nephew were so looking forward to this. We were to be in the hotel loppy for 8:15 am as the bus left at 8:20. At 9:20, Dominique (Nolitours rep) comes in and says its cancelled for the day. Our trip will be postponed until tomorrow. We go back on Thursday morning and wait at 8:15 am. At 9:30, Dominique comes in and says, it’s cancelled – 6 feet high waves today! Trip postponed until tomorrow. We are leaving the next day so ask for a refund. The family goes down to the pool and my sister waits in line for 45 minutes to get refund. Dominique comes running back and says the trip is on and the bus is here. I thought there was 6 meter waives today? She tells my sister to go get everyone. She says no and waits 30 minutes more for the refund.

As I stated earlier, this resort is a part of a much larger complex called Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club (LHVC). This is basically a vacation club and you must pay considerable money to become a member. In addition to the Cofresi Palm beach Resort and Spa, the complex has another resort right beside it called The Tropical, and we were allowed to use this resort as well (bars, restaurants). The rest of the complex is villas, presidential suites, junior suites and other LVHC member residences. Basically this company uses the Cofresi Palm and The Tropical as people factories – once you are at one of those resorts they attempt to sell you a membership package so that you can use the rest of the complex – what they consider the VIP areas of the complex. The VIP areas are everywhere and you can only use them if you become a member. At the Cofresi Palm there were VIP pools, VIP restaurants and bars, and even VIP areas on the beach. No one can use these unless you are a member. This complex has a two-tier level of service – one for regular users and one for VIP members. If you are a VIP member (and have the VIP gold glitter wrist band on) you are treated like royalty and go anywhere, if not, you get second class service.

The LVHC sales people are like sharks all over the resort and they hound you every single day! From the moment you enter the lobby to the minute you lave they will be pitching they virtues of VIP Membership and trying to get you to go on a 4 hour sales tour and meeting (they say its only 20 minutes). You can become a member by paying $60, 000 down, which allows you to become a villa member for life (40 years). This means you can rent a villa (3 bedroom house) as many weeks as you want for $999 each week. You must also pay $60 per day, per person, for the all-inclusive package – without this you do not eat or drink. It also gives you access to the VIP areas of the resort. The sales people where white shirts that say “Only tell your best friends about us” on the back. Stay away from them and do not speak to them. They will hound you in the lobby, it from of the buffet, in the buffet, at the bars, at the pools, on the beach. They will try to talk to you and sell you 50 times a day! Shame on Nolitours for being the exclusive tour operator at sales factory!

This was the worst vacation of my life. I was only relaxed when I finally got home. Our week was filled with complaining and waiting and moving and complaining and waiting. It was the most stressful and un-relaxing week of our lives. I hate this resort and want to warn everyone about going there. Again, save you hard-earning dollars and please go somewhere else. Shame on Nolitours for advertising this dump as a 4.5 star resort!

Lastly, I would like to ask Nolitours how they are going to rectify all these problems for me and my family? We work hard all year to spend a considerable amount of money on a vacation that does not meet advertised expectations and even satisfactory levels of service.

I eagerly await your direct response.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank bizeducator
Reviewed 7 January 2012

There are three classes here. Gold bracelet [time share] 2 bracelets [upgrade] Chameleon bracelet [Lowest class]. We were 3rd class. You get the oldest smallest rooms[smelly].You can not get into the a la cartes even after standing in line to book. The wine for us came in a 4 litre jug and was not drinkable but gold members had wine from bottles. Our drinks were in plastic glasses where gold had glass, when I asked for glass they said we don't have any and it was right there. You are constantly harrassed to buy time shares. If you have trouble with stairs look out. Breakfast and lunch were okay, supper was horrible. It was not a good experience. The two other couples we went with felt the same. The place is under staffed. Our Nolitour rep said she was getting lots of complaints about the place.The pools and beach were good.That was the only positive. Would we come back here? NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends