I am just home from a girls week at the Cofresi with my best friend. We had a wonderful time! After reading some of the reviews on here, were were a little worried, and decicided to go expecting the worst and hope for the best. We were well rewarded for that mindset.
AirTransat got us to the resort in their usual efficient manner, no problems there.
Our check in only took a few minutes, and our bags were taken in one cart, us in another to our room. This resort is huge, and a little confusing at first, so this was appreciated! We were in and re-aquainted with our bags within about 10 minutes. The room is outdated and basic, but it was clean and the beds were very comfortable... a pleasant surprise as often the 'south' resorts have very hard unforgiving mattresses. Our safe deposit key/lock wouldn't fit in, and we had no towels... both problems were dealt with very quickly and by very pleasant people. We had time to just chill for an hour before getting ready to go up for dinner and enjoyed our balcony view while doing so. We were on the edge of one part of the resort, so there was a busy little road behind us, but there were lush trees and flowers and so on, and a great view of a mountain in the distance, and we had total privacy. No complaints with the room. A/C and great ceiling fan too.
On day two, our bar fridge was only refilled with water... we thought we'd get a few beers, pops, each day... apparently this, and the small bottle of rum in the room when you arrive is only a 1 day 'greeting' from the resort. Not a big deal, but if you like a drink in your room, bring a bottle of your choice with you, or stock up at the pool bar on your way back to your room. We bought a bottle of rum off the lobby store and diet coke for our room... not a big deal, but a dissappointment... really our only one.
The resort is enourmous, and for those of who walked from A to B, alot of hills and stairs.. we counted them one morning... and decided we were walking anywhere from 700 - 1,000 stairs a day. We chose to see this as a positive and we didn't worry about eating ice cream every day... anyone who can't get about easily, will find this place a challenge. They have golf carts, and shuttle busses, and the two nights we went to the Tropical side for Mexican, we took the shuttle and they were quick and very friendly... dropped us at our door after... again only a few minutes wait.
The fellow who checked us in advised us to check with guest services each day in the early afternoon. We could request 3 a la carte dinners through the week, but he told us they sometime have cancellations and we could use those if any were available. So our first afternoon we put in our three requests, and picked up a cancellation for that night. Some found it a nusiance not to know about their dinner plans till day of, we really didn't care...and we were able to enjoy an a la carte dinner every night. We went to the Moonlight on the beach twice, the Dominican once, Indian once, Mexican twice and Asian once. All were good... Indian was our favourite... they didn't skimp on spice, so some would find the food there too hot... but we thought it was excellent!!! Our least favourite was the Dominican... my conch fritter appetizer was good, but barely warm, and my friends chicken was quite dry... but we still enjoyed the rest of our meals. The wine service was frequent and not great, but drinkable, and the food came quickly and always with a smile.
We enjoyed the 'Pearl' buffet for breakfast and lunch most days... we did have burgers a a few times at the beach, but they were never fresh and hot, so we'd hike up to the buffet for other choices. My favourites on the lunch buffet... the pizza was fresh, hot and delicious... the grilled lamb chops and squid were juicy and you could get great salads too... the hot prepared options looked a little suspect, so I avoided them, the soups were very good.
Breakfast was always good... fresh eggs - omelettes or fried to order, bacon and fruit... not a lot of choice at breakfast, but certainly enough for us. The coffee service was good and the coffee itself was fresh, strong and hot.
The beach is small... if you're a beach person on holiday, you'll not be happy here. We are pool people, so we were AOK. Lots of pools, and lots of chairs. We never had to rush down to get a lounger in the morning. There are loungers in abudnance, all are in good shape, and many with shade. Thank you Cofresi!!! Possibly the only place I've been in the last 5 years where I haven't had to claim my chair on the way to breakfast. As a girl who burns quickly, this was a rare treat! The VIP beach was larger... and I that was the only 'perk' I could see to a VIP pricetag...
The bathrooms... almost forgot! I was very impressed. There are bathrooms all over the place, and I never went in to find no toilet paper, or plugged toilets. A frequent occurance at other resorts. These were well maintained and cleaned often. Once or twice I'd use the one at the beach and the toilet would't flush, it was always fixed by the time I went back. They also kept up with sand and wet feet in that one... not an easy task.
There were two bars we used... Whisky bar at the pool/beach and 'Cheers' up near the lobby. Both were just fine. Nothing fancy being served, but we could get a great margarita every morning, and whatever else we wanted.... the servers there are great at making sure everyone is looked after. Not super quick, but they looked at the influx of people constantly so people got served 'in turn' more or less. There was no need to push up front, or wave about, or hollar at them... I think the longest I had to wait was about 5 minutes, and that was one morning when there were at least 15 people ahead of me. Again, smiles all round...and all without cash changing hands.
Check out was smooth sailing, and while our flight home was an hour late, they'd upgraded to 'the big' plane for the return flight due to a last minute scheduling change and we enjoyed our personal TV's all the way home. Once again Air Transat did their job well.
For the very low price we paid to go to the Cofresi, we thought we got great value! If you want updated perfect rooms, and all the perks... pay more, and you should get more. While we like to go to different resort every year, I wouldn't rule this one out as a return option... We had a great week, were very well fed, never got sick, and were treated well by all staff. Thank you Cofresi!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata