“Not for people with Mobility issues.”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 3 March 2016

Good experience from airport to hotel. Check in Ok But had to wait until 3:00 p.m. to come back for room keys. This resort is built on a hill and has lots of steps. When you leave lobby you go down 12 steps to bar, pool and seating area. Then you go down 15 more steps to get to buffet area for meals. Meals were average. Breakfast you can get eggs cooked any way you would like them, fresh fruit, pancakes, toast, rolls, cereal, juice , coffee and other regular breakfast items. There is something for everyone at Breakfast no matter what others say in their posts.
Lunch you can have soup, salads, sandwichs, pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and lots of other choices. Again something for everyone.
Dinners they have soup, hamburgers, hot dogs, fresh cooked meats you can pick out and they will grill for you. Lots of vegetable, salad and desert choices.
Meals were all decent and NO one was sick.
Most disappointment with resort is lots of steps to get any where until you get to paths that go to pools and beaches.
Also they mention that everyone is on Dominican time and that is correct. DO not expect any thing to get done quickly. I tried to get extra pillows with No result. It took all of one day to get shower head replaced as water was only coming out in middle of shower head. Then they call you at 10:00 P.M. or after to see if everything is OK.
TOILETS do not flush like they should. Really big problem if you have to have a good bowel movement.
Check out very efficient and trip to airport very good.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stormyfan
Write a ReviewReviews (3,893)

Reviewed 2 March 2016

I needed to write this review to share my story of the awful experience I had in this resort (if you can even call it that). Me and my Husband decided to have our wedding in this resort since location wise it was good for my Family that lives in the Dominican Republic and his Family that never been in the country. This was the worst decision we ever made since it was a disaster of wedding and a nightmare of a stay.
We went on 2/16/16-2/21/16 with over 64 guest who also stayed in this hotel, and these are some of the facts we experienced:

1- The hotel lobby is a joke, this people don't know what customer service is or how to treat the client.
2-The wedding planner did a terrible job hosting the wedding. I had to take control and host my own wedding.
3- Out of the 64 people, more than half of them got sick within the first 3 days of their stayed, including me.
7- On my wedding day (2/20/16) even I was throwing up, half of my bridal party was sick and couldn't even attend the wedding due to the constant throwing up.

So, do not go to this place unless you don't plan to eat their food or drink their water.

Never going back to this place again.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
16  Thank adalizadiaz
Reviewed 2 March 2016

I am just home from a girls week at the Cofresi with my best friend. We had a wonderful time! After reading some of the reviews on here, were were a little worried, and decicided to go expecting the worst and hope for the best. We were well rewarded for that mindset.

AirTransat got us to the resort in their usual efficient manner, no problems there.

Our check in only took a few minutes, and our bags were taken in one cart, us in another to our room. This resort is huge, and a little confusing at first, so this was appreciated! We were in and re-aquainted with our bags within about 10 minutes. The room is outdated and basic, but it was clean and the beds were very comfortable... a pleasant surprise as often the 'south' resorts have very hard unforgiving mattresses. Our safe deposit key/lock wouldn't fit in, and we had no towels... both problems were dealt with very quickly and by very pleasant people. We had time to just chill for an hour before getting ready to go up for dinner and enjoyed our balcony view while doing so. We were on the edge of one part of the resort, so there was a busy little road behind us, but there were lush trees and flowers and so on, and a great view of a mountain in the distance, and we had total privacy. No complaints with the room. A/C and great ceiling fan too.

On day two, our bar fridge was only refilled with water... we thought we'd get a few beers, pops, each day... apparently this, and the small bottle of rum in the room when you arrive is only a 1 day 'greeting' from the resort. Not a big deal, but if you like a drink in your room, bring a bottle of your choice with you, or stock up at the pool bar on your way back to your room. We bought a bottle of rum off the lobby store and diet coke for our room... not a big deal, but a dissappointment... really our only one.

The resort is enourmous, and for those of who walked from A to B, alot of hills and stairs.. we counted them one morning... and decided we were walking anywhere from 700 - 1,000 stairs a day. We chose to see this as a positive and we didn't worry about eating ice cream every day... anyone who can't get about easily, will find this place a challenge. They have golf carts, and shuttle busses, and the two nights we went to the Tropical side for Mexican, we took the shuttle and they were quick and very friendly... dropped us at our door after... again only a few minutes wait.

The fellow who checked us in advised us to check with guest services each day in the early afternoon. We could request 3 a la carte dinners through the week, but he told us they sometime have cancellations and we could use those if any were available. So our first afternoon we put in our three requests, and picked up a cancellation for that night. Some found it a nusiance not to know about their dinner plans till day of, we really didn't care...and we were able to enjoy an a la carte dinner every night. We went to the Moonlight on the beach twice, the Dominican once, Indian once, Mexican twice and Asian once. All were good... Indian was our favourite... they didn't skimp on spice, so some would find the food there too hot... but we thought it was excellent!!! Our least favourite was the Dominican... my conch fritter appetizer was good, but barely warm, and my friends chicken was quite dry... but we still enjoyed the rest of our meals. The wine service was frequent and not great, but drinkable, and the food came quickly and always with a smile.

We enjoyed the 'Pearl' buffet for breakfast and lunch most days... we did have burgers a a few times at the beach, but they were never fresh and hot, so we'd hike up to the buffet for other choices. My favourites on the lunch buffet... the pizza was fresh, hot and delicious... the grilled lamb chops and squid were juicy and you could get great salads too... the hot prepared options looked a little suspect, so I avoided them, the soups were very good.

Breakfast was always good... fresh eggs - omelettes or fried to order, bacon and fruit... not a lot of choice at breakfast, but certainly enough for us. The coffee service was good and the coffee itself was fresh, strong and hot.

The beach is small... if you're a beach person on holiday, you'll not be happy here. We are pool people, so we were AOK. Lots of pools, and lots of chairs. We never had to rush down to get a lounger in the morning. There are loungers in abudnance, all are in good shape, and many with shade. Thank you Cofresi!!! Possibly the only place I've been in the last 5 years where I haven't had to claim my chair on the way to breakfast. As a girl who burns quickly, this was a rare treat! The VIP beach was larger... and I that was the only 'perk' I could see to a VIP pricetag...

The bathrooms... almost forgot! I was very impressed. There are bathrooms all over the place, and I never went in to find no toilet paper, or plugged toilets. A frequent occurance at other resorts. These were well maintained and cleaned often. Once or twice I'd use the one at the beach and the toilet would't flush, it was always fixed by the time I went back. They also kept up with sand and wet feet in that one... not an easy task.

There were two bars we used... Whisky bar at the pool/beach and 'Cheers' up near the lobby. Both were just fine. Nothing fancy being served, but we could get a great margarita every morning, and whatever else we wanted.... the servers there are great at making sure everyone is looked after. Not super quick, but they looked at the influx of people constantly so people got served 'in turn' more or less. There was no need to push up front, or wave about, or hollar at them... I think the longest I had to wait was about 5 minutes, and that was one morning when there were at least 15 people ahead of me. Again, smiles all round...and all without cash changing hands.

Check out was smooth sailing, and while our flight home was an hour late, they'd upgraded to 'the big' plane for the return flight due to a last minute scheduling change and we enjoyed our personal TV's all the way home. Once again Air Transat did their job well.

For the very low price we paid to go to the Cofresi, we thought we got great value! If you want updated perfect rooms, and all the perks... pay more, and you should get more. While we like to go to different resort every year, I wouldn't rule this one out as a return option... We had a great week, were very well fed, never got sick, and were treated well by all staff. Thank you Cofresi!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
6  Thank JonesBurner
Reviewed 29 February 2016

The Staff is unbelievably amazing! Goofy and Wally and the rest of the animation team were awsome but mainly those 2 guys!! Food was as excpected for buffet food! Brazilian restaurant was amazing! Rooms were very nice (junior suite)! The only downfall is there are a lot of stairs so if your looking for a good workout you will get that with the stairs!!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

Rule #1: take Imodium everyday.
Rule #2: a tip goes a long way. Even if it's $1-5.
Yes, some parts of the resort stink like poo. Bad.
We stayed in building 40 which was a decent location, didn't stink and our maid was great. They do take the towels and don't return then until later in the day but that wasn't a problem for us.
We paid $20 for the safe but was totally worth it.
Our fridge was stocked daily unlike our friends' across the hall.
I'm pretty sure the reviews that name the animators are fake.
The beach isn't as bad as some of the reviews say but there is a lot of seed weed in some spots. We upgraded to VIP so we spend most of our time at Lifestyle VIP Beach, Harmony VIP Beach, and Serenity VIP Beach. Definitely was worth the upgrade. Our husbands loved the cabanas they had there. They will offer you a deal to upgrade after the timeshare presentation. Those beaches also have free wifi.
This is a timeshare resort so be prepared for them to attack you after breakfast. We told them all we were going to give them was 10 minutes and it worked. The guys quickly got the vibe that we didn't have any interest in buying since we are owners elsewhere.
They don't serve alcohol until after 10 am. You have to go to a VIP beach to get it.
Make sure you make dinner reservations in the morning. They get booked quickly. We used one of our certificates from interval international and I would say that it wasn't worth it. We should have gone somewhere else. We had a good time and all but would NEVER go back. I wish we read the reviews before booking.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple