“10 AMAZING DAYS!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 2 August 2017

After reading reviews for months I was a little nervous but knew a lot about what to expect going in to the vacation. Where do I start?
BOOK IT THROUGH GROUPON!!!!!!! You get the VIP blue bracelet which gives you access to lot of amenities that others won't have for a FRACTION of the price! I am 1000% pleased with what we got through the Groupon offer. Our rooms were in the 43 building overlooking the pool and beach. Our rooms were 43306 and 43307. One room had a king; the other had 2 queens (maybe full?). All had fabulous mattresses, tons of plush pillows, comfy sheets and blankets! Our air conditioning could not be regulated and it was FREEZING which was perfect b/c it is VERY HOT AND HUMID there! The bathrooms are GORGEOUS! And always immaculate. The access to the VIP beach was ideal! Alex, who works at the VIP beach had my cabana saved for me on the days he knew we were coming to the beach! He was AMAZING! And I loved one of the waitresses and one of the waiters. They made us feel like family and always there to see if I, my husband or my kids needed ANYTHING. We ate lunch there almost every day and the food was good. Not gourmet but it was fine: various kinds of pizzas, salads, a few kinds of sandwiches. Perfect for a light lunch at the beach!!

Check in: not a problem at all! Our bellhop was so friendly and accommodating as were the people at the front desk. I called a couple of days before and asked if they could have a bouquet of balloons or anything like that for my husband as we were there to celebrate his 50th birthday. There was nothing at check in but when we got into the room they had balloons hanging all over the room!!!! From the ceiling, the bed posts, the curtains! They also had a big plate of delicious fresh fruit waiting!! What an incredible surprise and a GREAT way to start our 10 day trip! Anyway, I read so many complaints about check in that I was shocked how smoothly it went!

The room: I already mentioned most about the room but also wanted to add that our towels were replaced daily and there were a TON of them! Our maid, Maria, was at our door by 9 am every day and if we were still there she was happy to come back. Never once did we come back from the beach or pool to our room not made up! Upon arrival the fridge was stocked with water, pepsi, 7-up and a few Presidente beers. Day 2 on only water was replaced (LOTS of water). We did meet someone who helped us get our beer and soda restocked. Be nice to people (and tip) and they'll bend over backwards for you!

The food: I only went to the buffets for breakfast. For the reviews I read complaining about breakfast I need to ask what they possibly could want that wasn't available??? Among other things there is an omelets station, smoothy station, several juice choices, bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, French toast, pancakes, home fries, all sorts of fruit and yogurts, an assortment of bread, bagels, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter... Lots of Dominican food that I have no idea what it was and a bunch of other things I am sure I am forgetting. WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED??? There were a million choices and plenty to eat that was good! The waitresses are happy to get you coffee, water, even juice even though you can serve yourself, soda or whatever you would like. I will say it is HOTTER THAN HELL in there! I'm sure even hotter at lunch.

Restaurants: We had NO problem making reservations except if a restaurant was closed on the night we were hoping for. They will take the reservation for 2 or 3 days in advance depending on the day of the week. We were able to book 3 restaurants with no problem. One night was my husband's birthday and another night was mine. The staff at both restaurants were FANTASTIC!!!!!!! The whole staff sang to my husband, played tambourines and some other instruments while serving a big piece of cake with a sparkler! It was awesome! For my birthday a man with a guitar serenaded me and then they sang happy birthday with the sparkler in 3 separate desserts. They couldn't have made me feel more special!!
The Italian restaurant: DELICIOUS!!!!! Not one complaint!
The Asian restaurant: Very good. Different than what you're used to with Chinese food in America (at least in NY!) but all good.
Brazilian Steakhouse: Unfortunately we needed to cancel our reservation so never got to go but heard from others that it is the BEST restaurant at the resort.

The tour: if it came as a surprise to guests that they'd be approached by people to do a tour they definitely didn't read Trip Advisor. Yes, they will approach you on the first morning you are there. I know that Blue VIP bracelets from Groupon are NOT required to do a tour. I can't speak for other bracelets. But we wanted to go so we could see the entire resort. It is SO HUGE that we felt that would be the best way to see it all. We were right. Our sales guy, Jonathon, was very nice and professional. He was happy to drive us back to our room for sunscreen before the second half of the tour! He was disappointed that we didn't commit but still professional and nice. From that point forward, whenever approached to do a tour we just told them we already did and they smiled, thanked us and walked away. You will NOT see your concierge after you say no to the membership but that was fine.

Shuttle: Once we waited more than 10 minutes. Most times we waited much less. Rarely was it crowded. If you go to the lobbies to get the shuttles they are more crowded and a longer wait. There are shuttle stops all over the place so go to one other than at a lobby.

The pools: Beautiful!!! One nicer than the next! There is something for everyone! Fun ones, quiet ones, swim up bar, children's pool. The Cofresi pool from 10 am - 12 pm and again from 3 pm - 5 pm is ROCKING! The entertainment staff is AMAZING!!! Fun, funny, engaging, friendly and just a total blast!! These people at the pool are the same people who put on the incredible shows at night! They are such a talented group of people!!! Namely: Jorge (Jorgie, my fave!!!), Chufly, Julio, Chispa and Candy. Thank you to all of them for making every day completely different but equally as fun!! Jorge and Chufly even played basketball with my kids during their breaks! My kids LOVE them! Jorgie was kind enough to share his semi-pro basketball jerseys with my boys! Such a GREAT person!! We miss them all!

The nighttime shows: WOWWW!!!!!! Like I said, what a talented group! We saw an Arabian themed night and a Michael Jackson night. Both amazing! We were blown away! The Sunday Welcome party is not to be missed! The resort goes all out for this! From the set up, incredible spread of food (anything you can think of! The raw bar was my personal favorite), entertainment, fireworks, and the fantastic wait staff who are serving about 1000 people (it is HUGE) with nothing but smiles on their faces, everything is top notch! Sadly, we missed the Thursday night party but heard it too was fantastic. We are not into the club scene so can't speak to the nightclub. The casino is small but air conditioned! The bartenders are very friendly. The dealers are NOT. I won't play blackjack if it's not fun and it wasn't. My husband played roulette but it's digital. Ehhhh, to the casino.

The pool bars are so fun! You definitely do not get top shelf liquor and there is only draft Presidente beer. But the bartenders are so fun, so friendly and always smiling! Please tip these people! Their salaries are minimal and they depend on tourists' tips to survive. That is true for all of the servers and entertainment staff! Again, a little tip goes a long way as they will go above and beyond for you!

Yes, this place is HUGE and very hilly. There is a lot of walking and stairs. I can't imagine how someone with disabilities would manage this resort. I would suggest they NOT come here. There are no elevators in the resort and the hallways are not air-conditioned. Definitely not ideal for elderly or disabled.

We brought snacks for the room. Highly recommend that in case you need an early morning snack or late night snack. It's too bad room service is only available to members. My only other negative is once you check out (which we had NO problem with) they suddenly seem to ignore you! We were told the shuttle to the airport would be "just a couple of minutes" but sat there waiting for over 45 minutes with NO ONE coming over to tell us anything!! My husband had to tip the bellman to get us a van to the airport. I was extremely frustrated! But that was my only frustration in all 10 days!
Overall, all 4 of us LOVED it, were sad to leave and can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: Building 43 is junior suites all right next to the pool and beach
5  Thank kbarnes26
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort as your host. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you took the time to share your unforgettable experience with us.
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the food, the A la Carta Restaurants, the facilities, activities, the room, amenities and our wonderful staff and entertainers. Thank you a lot for your detailed review!!!
Your enthusiasm is contagious, and we are so happy to know that you appreciated all the aspects of your stay and enjoyed the birthday of your husband. Be assured that your presence at our resort has left a warm impression on our employees, and they are motivated by your excellent comments. We will share this message with all of them.
We definitely will be waiting for you in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Warmest Regards,
The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,908)

Reviewed 1 August 2017

My husband and I spent our 30th Anniversary at the Cofresi Palm Resort and Spa. We had a very relaxed and enjoyable vacation. It started out a little rocky but once we finally checked in the rest of our trip was all that we expected it to be. Check-In is a little hectic but my advice is to be patient and don't let that one bad experience ruin your stay. I read reviews that stated to stay away from the guys in the gold shirts, but I'm glad that I let them take me on the tour bc it afforded me the opportunity to see all the other sites and also see where all the resturants were located. My most enjoyable time was spent on the VIP Beach - very relaxing and peaceful. If interested in horseback riding go the The Tropical and ask for John Wayne - very interesting, we did the 8:40 am mountain ride and loved it, and don't miss the Welcome Party on Sunday.....Have fun and enjoy!!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Deirdre S

Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also would like to thank you for writing the positive comment about your experience.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2017

This was a beautiful resort but too much miscommunication between us and the staff. We were not happy with the constant approach of trying to get us to see the VIP upgrade, especially since we are members already. The rooms were clean but not enough drawers to store our clothes. The VIP beaches were clean and beautiful. I was not happy with the shuttle/transportation bus. It was always at least a 15 minute wait for the shuttle bus just to get anywhere in the resort. The shows were decent but the drinks could be better. Wi-fi is horrible and over priced.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank ycny2017

Dear guest,
Thank you for your nice comments and positive review. It was our pleasure to host you at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in Puerto Plata.
We thanks also for bringing your concerns and observations to our attention.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience encountered during your stay with us. Please be assured that we will take the corrective measures to provide a better service to all our clients.
We really appreciate your positive review and it would be a pleasure to host you again in the near future.
Sunny Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2017

If you are of the mindset "you get what you pay for" then this place is for you. If you are used to traveling and having certain amenities then I would not go here. I have traveled all over and have even been to DR several times (not sure why) but this will certainly be my last. I saw this resort in an add and when I went to the site, it looked beautiful. A groupon popped up for it as well. I have never done a groupon get away and was a little skeptical. I decided to go for it and see what the fuss was all about. Upon arrival to the hotel, it looked like they had a special going on for the local people to stay there. The lobby was jam packed. Finally someone motioned for us to go with them to Guest Services and checked us in. The Groupon we paid for was an upgrade to VIP services and upgraded room, so we got the blue VIP bands. He tells us they upgraded us and that we would love the room and that our room was ready. It was 1pm. Great! So we take the shuttle to our room and its ok but its street view. All the noise from the cars and buses that pass every 30 seconds was very annoying. We couldn't sit on the terrace because of the smell of exhaust. We decided to go to Pearl to get lunch and that was ok but very hot and lots of flies. When we get back to the room to change for the pool, we notice there are no towels, hand towels, floor towels or wash cloths. I call housekeeping and she told me I would have to wait. It took her 2 hours to bring towels. Then we noticed the refrigerator wasn't stocked- no water, no soda, no beer. They finally bring stuff for the fridge. After such a long day of travel we just wanted to relax. The guy Jose tells us we should have dinner at El Pilion because it was a Dominican restaurant. Not sure why he didn't tell us we needed a reservation while we were with him in the office but he didn't.... so we get to El Pilion for dinner and no reservation, you can't sit down. Then they tell us that it was for members only! Great so back to the hot buffet place for dinner after a long day of traveling. By now I've had it and I just want to sleep. This is when we find that the thin mattress we would be sleeping on all weekend was terrible. I haven't had a backache from a cheap mattress since college! The pillows were terrible.

Next Day- I see on the site that it says they have room service..... But nooooo that's for members only. Everything we wanted was for members. Some guy called us telling us he was our "concierge" and that he would take us to have breakfast in the golf cart and explain all of the amenities at the resort.... Little did we know after breakfast we would be kidnapped to a vacation club tour. I told the nice lady Ismarly that I was not interested and that I don't like coming to places under false pretenses. She then said maybe the reason they are treating us the way they were was because we had a groupon! Really???? Then don't offer it if you can't treat people right. Anyway- There is only free wifi in certain parts of the resort. Of course the VIP center (vacay club building) has free wifi, the VIP pool and the VIP beaches. Other than that you have to pay for it. Even to use it in your room (never in my life have I had that happen at a resort). I've never had to keep reconnecting wifi so many times in my life. Very frustrating. We found the property was just too big. You needed to take a shuttle everywhere. Even back to the lobby, unless you found someone nice that was willing to take you in the golf cart.
Now we are at one of the private beaches. NV Beach. The service was terrible. I never had so many people just pass me by. What's the point of tipping if you can't get good service. I've never been to an all inclusive where the wait staff acted like they didn't want to wait on you and not just me- others as well. This was my experience with them all weekend. I tried to make reservations at other restaurants and was told I only had 2 choices because it was members only. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant which I guess wasn't that bad considering the food everywhere else was not good. Then another night we ate at Casa Blanca which everyone recommended and it just so happened to be Mexican night and it was terrible.
At this point I'm over it and just tried to make the best of it but I can tell you if a good friend of mine were getting married in the Dominican Republic I would not go. Upon check out I let the rep know how I felt. I've stayed at Karisma resorts and Secrets resorts and these people at Lifestyle/Cofresi can take a lesson or 2 from them about how to treat their guests. If you want people to join your vacation club or even return to your resort you are supposed to treat them well. I swear I thought it was all a joke, it was just terrible.
These stupid Blue VIP bands meant nothing!

Pros: Good weather
Cons:
Terrible wifi service
No towels upon arrival
After initially stocking the refrigerator, never stocked it again not even with cold water
Property too big
Customer Service was bad
Adult Only pool had rowdy kids in it
Bed & pillows were VERY uncomfortable
Restaurants were mostly members only
No top shelf liquor
Breakfast was disgusting
Rooms were bare
Kidnapped to do a vacation club tour

5  Thank nikdiamonds

Dear guest,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the TripAdvisor community.
We have read carefully your review and we will take note of your observations to evaluate how we can improve our services and operation.
We assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism.
We would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced; we sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to fully meet your expectations.
With best regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I had an amazing time with great entertainment. There were always lots of fun games being played and everyone from the staff to the other guests made it a fun and pleasant time. George and Chufly made my visit very entertaining and they were both a lot of fun to be around playing the games or just enjoying the weather.

There were plenty of restaurants to enjoy from and the buffet was always filled with good food.

However, there are a lot of steps though so be warned, but it is very manageable and you can navigate your way through the resorts to avoid bigger staircases. My room did have an issue with the water temperature being too hot to use, but it was quickly fixed within the next day.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and I am counting down the days until I can come back!

1  Thank 905tjb
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in Puerto Plata. It is of great importance to know our guests experience in order to improve our services.
We are really happy to read such a nice opinion about our services, facilities and our wonderful entertainment staff.
We will take your opinion and observations in the highest consideration.
It would be a pleasure to host you again in the future.
Best regards,