“Loved the Bavaro Princess”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #35 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2004

I just came back from my stay at the Bavaro Princess Resort in Punta Cana. I personally felt that this is a trip that is a well kept secret. I have taken many trips before, to Jamaica, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Mexico, etc. but have found that this is my favorite place to visit. I plan to return next year. Why? The resort is beautiful, a natural rainforest, the service was wonderful. There are seven different restaurants along with the buffet. The buffet was okay. You had the same foods served each day. The workers are so pleasant. They try so hard to please you. If you like grilled lobster and shrimp, go to the seafood restaurant. Before I took this trip, I read the reviews on this resort, and became nervous because some of the reviews said this was not a place they would want to come to again. They are wrong. I was treated so well. Maybe it was their attitude toward the workers. They always greeted me with a smile.As far as comments, about bringing face towels, I brought my own, but found I really didn't need to. They don't use face towels there. You get a hand and bath towel daily, along with a robe. Also, upgrade to the VIP package when you arrive there. It's worth it. It includes a massage, horseback riding, your better alcohol, a bottle of rum and box of cigars. As far as excursions, take the Monster Safari. I would highly recommend that trip if you are adventurous and want to see how the people live. Take a bag of gifts for the children on that trip. One lady had a bag of notebooks, crayons, glue and bags of wrapped candy to give to the children. The children appreciated anything you gave them. I even took my earrings off, and gave them to one girl with pierced ears. I gave away my ink pen that lit up, and even my box of Velamints. Buy shoes if you can. There were children without shoes. Some children asked for our shoes. I cried seeing so many children, and looking at how they lived. Many families in the rural areas make only $5.00 a week picking sugar cane. Education is not required of the children. I plan to return next year, better prepared. I didn't get a chance to take the tour that was offered to Santo Domingo. I was told that that is another tour that shows you the culture and lifestyle of the Domincans. The only downside of the trip was not being able to speak Spanish. Before you go, take a Spanish dictionary. It was sometimes difficult communicating with the people.

8  Thank mstravel1-52
Write a ReviewReviews (11,082)

A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2004

Spent 2 weeks with family in this resort (from 31-jul to 14-aug). Here is our evaluation:

Information service.....1* (The resort staff did not inform us that there were options other than the buffet for dinner. We found out by coincidence during our second week of stay that a-la-cart restaurants are included in the package)
Beach....5* (Impecable, silky sand)
Pool....3* (Overcrowded, too warm, hair floating around, excellent enterier)
Resort enterier....5* (Ecology at its best)
Entertainment....3* (staff work hard but still boring. TV is life savior here)
Resort organization...5* (compared with reviews of other resorts. You book restaurant in the morning for tomorrow with VIP coordinator. Train transportation works fine)
Room smell.....1* (did not have time to investigate if it is only our room or if all rooms have the same smell)
Room beds.......1* (very uncomfortable, unstable, old )
VIP Room service.....5* (great. mini fridge supplied daily, towels, nightly turn down service. We did not get bathrobe though)
Licey food.....1* (do not eat lobster there, it smells awfull and we got sick! Steak was cold. They served cheap and chilled red wine. We passed on Licey in our second week of stay)
Licey service......5* (there were 4 people serving our table)
Sakura food.......4* (Peking duck was good, but Hoisin sauce tasted more like concentrated salt than anything else. Duck was tender and juicy though. Brochete medallions little overdone - when the meat is removed from barbecue, it still gets cooked for the next 5 minutes - great secrets of masters of cuisine each chef must know. )
Sakura service.....4*
Shopen food........3* (another buffet. Red and black caviar, nice fish appetizers, shrimps not tasty. Finally red wine which is not chilled)
Shopen service...1* (they would remove our plates when we were not even finished. Basics: when the fork and knife are completelly inside the plate only then the plate should be removed)
Gaucho food.......4* (excellent fish soup, best cuts of meat here. Go for "Argentinian barbecued steak" which is New York cut of D.R. beef instead of File Mignon. It is very tender but I do not think it is because it was aged for 28 days. None of the cuts of beef is sufficiently marbled)
Gaucho service......2* (first time it was good, next time non existant)
El Pescador food....3* (again that shrimp and lobster smell. Sea food preparation in resort definetely need reexamination. Again chilled red wine!?)
El Pescador service.....4*

Overall 3.21 stars. There is definetely potential for improvement so we give it 4*

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2004

I just returned home after a week at the Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana. I tried to keep in mind that I was in another country and not the United States and, therefore, would probably not get the level and quality of service that I was hoping for and accustomed to. With this in mind, I'd have to say there were some pluses, and some minuses.

I have to state that I was impressed with the quality of food at the buffet. I rarely vacation at an all inclusive resort. In fact, I believe this was only my third time. However, I have to say that the food was actually pretty good compared to what I've experienced before, and to other reports that I've read. The only down side is that breakfast was the same every day that I was there.

The other plus is that the grounds were actually beautiful and well maintained. It is also a very large property as far as size goes, but there is a small trolley like mode of transportation that runs until 3am in the morning, and runs the length of the property. So, getting around was not as laborious as I had been led to believe in another report.

The downside; my room was over-run by microscopic bugs that were adamant about sharing my bed, in addition to something else that appeared to be winged ants that were content to just share the room. My sheets were changed only once during my stay, and the blanket smelled as if it hadn't been changed in months. The cleaning crew was certainly lacking in quality. After I used up the bath soap I had to ask for additional bars. Most places that I've been to would replace them as they are used. I also used up my laundry bags and forms and had to ask for additional ones.

Finally, I'd have to say that service varied. At times I encountered staff who were most helpful, and other times I was left with the impression that I had no business asking for assistance.

Overall, It was a decent experience. I have certainly had better, and I've had worse. Admittedly, I will return. But, that's only because I enjoyed Punta Cana, and the Bavaro Princess is the only location that my vacation package has available to me.

14  Thank Jackquontee
Reviewed 9 August 2004

Great beach alot of activities all day long breakfest great lunch good, dinner in sakura ,licey very good also they are air conditioned thats a big plus. Remember your in another country,this resort caters to mostly people from spain pourtgal & other spanish speaking peoples from around the world. The food you get is basically for their tastes. You will have a good time if your not closed minded. Music is playing all day long its impossible not to dance in the pool on the beach or in the hotel lobby. Dont be cheap upgrade your package to vip its worth the extra money. Fishing from the beach in the early mornings will get you snook tarpon, jack cravelles from 6am to 8am then it dies too much water acctivities. Will return again .

8  Thank kkooll1
A TripAdvisor Member
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2004

I had to write this review in respond to one I just read from Brooklyn, NY. Let me tell you I stayed in Bavaro Princess from June 27 thru July 4, 2004. I traveled with a group of 19. We all had a wonderful time. You can't ask more for your money. The staff is great, very courtious, helpful and respectful. All our rooms were cleaned daily and when we called the customer service they responded the same day. Of course we were all very polite to the workers and always tipped them. Travelers have to see that this is a huge resort and the employees are overworked but they always go beyond there way to help. I would recommend this resort in a heartbeat.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member