30 people are viewing this hotel
Booking.comUS$255
Hotels.comUS$255
TravelocityUS$255
8,528 results
All reviews a la carte restaurants garden grill privilege club lobby bar guest services other resorts dominican republic ambar section huge resort main resort buffet restaurant great resort main pool star resort great vacation steak beach area
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 November 2021 via mobile

One week at Bahia Esmeralda in Dominican Republic
It was our second trip to DR.
Originally we planned to stay in different Bahia hotel, but ended up staying in Esmeralda.
Great job on keeping everyone safe during pandemic.
Hotel is pretty clean, pools are in the good shape.
The food in the buffet is varied and of good quality, however some restaurants are not so good. Out of six restaurants we liked only 3, Limbo, Miko (Japanese), and Greek.
Do not waist your time on Dominican, Italian, or Tequila restaurants.
The biggest problem is the language barrier, most of the hotel staff speaks only Spanish. Entertainment was very, very poor, the worst in our experience.
One of the things that we enjoyed was SPA.
Special thanks to Kelvin the battler and Junior Santana. Very professional, know their job. Helped us with all our needs during the stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2021

We absolutely loved our stay at this hotel! the food and drinks were great. The entertainent was really fun. Beach is also splendid, although a bit small. The hotel in general is really clean (the rooms could be slightly cleaner). Staff is helpfull and nice. We recommend!!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie-Anne C
Reviewed 21 November 2021

Stomach Flue outbreak at this resort

We stayed at Grand Bahia Principe- Esmeralda for 11 days. First of all this resort is not 5 star facility.  I have been in other 5 star resorts and I would say this is 4 star resort ( the most).  The rooms are clean and in good conditions, however lots of noise from guests and staffs disturb your peaceful nights. The entrainment crew are great specially Francis ,Chocolate and Amber.
There is no snack bar and basically you are left out between your main meals if you miss them for any reason ( definitely not 5 STAR resort) and there is only ONE buffet restaurant which is always line up ( 133 people capacity). I suggest you bring your own alcohol because their drinks barely have any alcohol in them ( lots of suger thou)! If you want any non domestic drinks you have to pay for them ( $8 USD for a shot !) definitely not a 5 star!!!!

Unfortunately two of us got stomach flue which we suspect that we got it from the food or dirty cups(  they wash them with water only at the pool bar)  When we went to the pharmacy located at Ambar resort we were told lots of people had this issue.  Doctor's visit cost $170 USD plus $55 for medication per individual. Apparently there is a outbreak but no one mentioned anything and they were denying it ( make sure you have travel insurance or at least bring some medications with you). There is no night clubs or any sport activities ( volleyball,  soccer ...) and when you asked the reason they say it's Covid!  However it's ok to stay next to each other to play bingo! The next door resort they had  no issues with playimg volleyball or soccer.

The beach is clean and workers clean the seaweeds regularly.

Regarding Covid test, I booked for 9 am and when I went there at 0830 AM to register I was told I have to take a number! I told them I already made appointment online per your request. They advised still needed a number . I got a number and by the time I saw the lab technician it was 12 noon, basically my morning was wasted for something that took only 3 to 4 minutes plus the cost $82 USD ( Thanks to Justin Trudeau).

We won't return in future and I am expecting the following copy paste reply from Bahia Principe:

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel and for mentioning our very friendly and accommodating staff.
We greatly appreciate your feedback, now that it gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Best regards,

Online Reputation
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank shahos561
Reviewed 21 November 2021 via mobile

We went as a group of 11 in mid-November. Check-in took at least 90 minutes, service was very hit or miss, pool closes early (6pm), à la carte dinners went from terrible to just okay, alcohol was definitely laced with something, bottles of the same wine had different color and different taste. Basically, good thing we didn't mind that much and found our fun in other ways, but this was definitely NOT a 5-star experience. What's the point of checking the boxes of a checklist to get a rating when everything else screams like you've been had?

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank MarkMTL1980
Reviewed 21 November 2021 via mobile

Still currently here.. but don't book if you want access to Ambar restaurants. You are not allowed to eat at the buffet. I was told by my agent and other bahia chain agent that you could prior to my booking. So I booked with esmeralda because Ambar was fully booked for the dates I wanted.

When I got to the resort I was told you couldn't. This is also my 8th vacation with the bahia chain. Now i am told that after my 10th vacation is when I can get the VIP member pass when in Mexico I was told at 8 stays I can. For being a loyal customer and for all these years, they did nothing to help.

I think it's time to try a different chain. The hospitality has changed.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple