“Look out for Spaghetti!”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
A TripAdvisor Member
Leeds
Reviewed 23 May 2006

We stayed for 2 weeks in April and are a couple in our twenties from Leeds. Although you couldnt go out this was a fab hotel! Spacious immaculate rooms, theres a few building blocks but they are located close to either the beach or lobby or resturants so your never in a bad building.
Look out for SPaghetti, he is a tall thin black guy who is form the Animacion team! He is such a laugh and made our holiday! Be sure to take part in the 'Craaaazy Gaaames' on the beach and round the pool.
Restaurants really nice but like anywhere gets bit boring after 2 weeks.
The 'outback safari' trip was fab and our tour guide Eddie was the best, you get to see the real dominican.
The 'Saona Island' trip wasn't worth going on, there was alot of travelling and when you finally get to the island its not better then the beach in front of the hotel!
Enetertainment ok, the shows by the professional dancers are quite impressive but the ones by the Animacion team aren't too good. Be aware if you win a game through the day you have to get up on stage at night and do this crazy dance, but its a laugh i suppose!
Met so many people, especially Canadians who are some of the friendliest people I have ever met.
The 'Carnival fun pub' (the nightclub) was quite funa nd we spent most our nights in there! The music is fab-listen out for 'La Gasolina' and 'Bali'. You'll know what I mean. The animacion team show you some dances in the club, and always get you up to dance after! Don't worry they lead the way! (ok some are a bit sleazy!) The only thing is sometimes its dead, it depends how many tourists have arrived.
Try out the spa too! iT is so relaxing and about £30 for a massage but worth it!

Hope this helped. x

• Stayed: April 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,487)

Reviewed 19 May 2006

Vacation: May 6-13, 2006
The reviews were very helpful to our check-in process. There were a total of 4 traveling by way of an Interval "Get Away". Our reservations were made to stay at the Cayena Beach Resort, yet we were told we must accept accomdations at LTI. If it had not been for the comments posted at this site we would not have known to insist on Cayena Beach Resort. After some negotiating with the manager, he agreed to allow us to stay at Cayena Beach Club. Cayena is the property adjacent to LTI and has several features which LTI does not offer. There is a private pool and resturant and a much more spacious unit than the "hotel room" at LTI. These seem to be reserved for "new buyers".
Vacation Experience:
We had sun shine, blue skies the entire week we were there with the exception of two mid afternoon "quick showers". This allowed us a little down time, many played card games and just socialized. The resort utilized this time to offer the guests a "pick me up"; men came out in drag carrying trays of fruit and teased the men guests. That was hilarious!
Food:
The food was good, but pretty basic buffet items. Each of us did come down with travelers tummy, at different times, so it is critical that you bring along prescription strength Lomotil. We passed these small pills around and were okay.
Tours:
We took an excursion to Santa Domingo which was very long, yet the bus ride was not all bad on a luxury cruiser. Very old city, still mostly the old relics of Christopher Columbus.
Surrounding Area:
Not much in the area to do. There is so much undeveloped land and little sanitation. The people seem very well adjusted. They are beautiful people. Have not learned much English. The Europeans (mostly Germans) were very unfriendly and stoic.
Culture:
As African-american traverlers, the people of the island seemed very glad to see us. They often referred to us as "my color". They were helpful to me and laughed when they saw me with my spanish dictionary trying to speak the language. They were very patient with us.
Summary:
We loved it, loved it, loved it there. We would go back. LTI needs to improve there entertainment venue. The shows were enjoyable, yet we are accustomed to a little more. We wanted more activity at the pools, beachs, and lobby. The Germans seem to dictate otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank Momlds
Reviewed 11 May 2006

Stayed at LTI April 28th through May 5th 2006. 7 Nights. This was our first time in DR and really did not know what to expect. I had read many bad reviews about this resort and was worried that we had made a mistake. Now that I have been, I cannot believe that anyone could complain about this resort. We met a couple from AL (Hello Tommy and Donna), and they have visited 40 other resorts all over the Caribbean and said this one they would rate excellent!!!

The food is almost entirely homemade. Homemade ice cream, cream puffs, flan, cheese cake, cakes, soups, salads of all kinds, homemade dressing, made to order omelets with homemade cheese, bacon, eggs, sausage, their pancakes are wonderful, crapes, French toast, potatoes: mashed, or fried, fresh fish, fresh shrimp, fresh grilled chicken: I ate 8 pieces in one day, ribs, French fries, whipped deserts, steak always well done, hotdogs, hamburger: I did not like but wife did. This is just some of the food I sampled. My family ate everything, I stuck with what I like. The fresh fish fried in front of you was just great. The DR people are the most loving people.

We made friends with so many DR people my wife was almost crying when we left. They even bought her gifts, which they make so little money shows you their kindness. They are very family oriented and if you treat them well they will show you their kindness. But if your hateful you will get the service you deserve!!!

Some of the reviews say there is no entertainment!!! Every night at 9:30 they had a great show. We karaoke, discoed 2 nights, disco opens at 11:00, went to the dance party, dancers, lip sink with 4 men from the audience dressed up like women, very funny, ect. We went to the entertainment every night we were their but one. They also let all the kids get up every night to dance for the audience before their regular show. The kids loved it but we seen a lot of people walking out during their show, pathetic if you ask me. We have 4 kids, but they stayed at home. Disco was not usually that busy but my wife loved it, I’m not much on dancing. But I did dance and it was fun.

Go to the manager’s reception, you will meet all the managers and they will serve you drinks, cheese and cookies. Music is played at the pool, inside the buffet, and at the beach. They have dance classes by the pool and the beach. Games are played daily at the beach. The dance lesson are also fun (Hello Anna). The catamaran ride was also a lot of fun. Get a massage by the beach, they know what they are doing and the price is $25us per half hour. We snorkeled everyday at the beach and that was an experience. Some days the waves had the water cloudy but still you could see all the fish. A small reef is in front of the beach, but you will have to look for it.

A lot of people go topless and wear thongs, and 99% of them should not have them on!!!

Summary
Food, excellent
Buffet, well done and laid out
Outdoor Grill by beach, excellent food.
Bathrooms, cleaned every hour on the hour
Drinks, great try a Santa Libra; it is ½ DR dark rum and ½ 7-up. Tastes great but be careful!!!
Staff, the best
Management, great, we lost a piece of luggage and they sent security room to room to find it!!! I hurt my ankle, acting like I was 16 instead of 40, and could not climb steps; they moved us to the ground floor the same day. I give the general manager, (German), an A+.
Very, Very Clean Hotel
All the guests are friendly, and most understand "hello", but the French.
French, well… stole our towels, cut in line, demand to be waited on first, and will not speak to you. Oh well, their loss.
Landscaping, beautiful

Complaints:
The beds are too hard.
$30 fee if you lose your beach towels, I guess a lot of guests steal them.
Everyone reserves Tiki huts, and are not there most of the day, against Hotel Rules.

Tips:
Expect the French to be rude
Learn some basic spanish
Buy a Verizon calling card at gift shop $10us for 29 min. The hotel charges $1us to connect
Be kind and friendly and your service level will increase
Take some snorkel gear, underwater camera and find the reef
Relax and have fun
If you smoke Marlboro, they are $2us in the gift shop.
Take some $1 bills for small tips, they make very little money.

19  Thank awp
A TripAdvisor Member
Maracaibo, Venezuela
Reviewed 7 May 2006

We had experienced Punta Cana before, but since this was our second visit we wanted to try another all inclusive resort/hotel. We did our internet research, and since food was not our first priority, we thought we would give this interval getaway a try. We could not believe that everything we had read was happening...We arrived late at night, around 10:30 p.m. to find that the Hotel was booked, so I guess they did not really reserve our room, even thought our 7 day getaway was paid for in advance. At that time, we were told that they would put us up in another room for one night at the Cayenna Beach, adjacent to the LTI hotel, but we would need to change to another room for the rest of our stay (5 nights), this is always a mayor inconvenience: could not unpack, lost a few hours in the middle of the next day changing rooms. To make our arrival worse, the all inclusive charge we had been offered by phone and luckily confirmed via e-mail, was not on the system, after many arguments with the receptionist and cashier, we were finally awarded the promised all inclusive fare for our stay, after the manager on duty made an exception and agreed to honor our all inclusive fare, only after showing him a printed copy of it for the ...th time. After this initial problem, everything else was just ok.
The food was not bad but nothing was really worth mentioning, just as your reviews had predicted, but even though we were prepared, the atmosphere could have saved the experience, the buffet area might be practical, but it is just very plain, very unromantic: it is situated at the center, my impresion was that of a a hospital cafeteria, where you get your plate and through the stations, many offer repeatedly the same food, and then you go into one of the 3 eating areas. Very impersonal, did not impress me at all. I had read the pool was very nice, but in fact it is just ok. At the beach, there were plenty of chairs and shaded areas for everyone. The restaurants are worse than the buffet, so don't go for them. I missed the entertainment I had experienced at other resorts/hotels, no live music, not even a single musician, I would not go back. If it is beach you want, all the other resorts on Bavaro Beach offer the same first class beach.
If you are wondering where we stayed the first time: Iberostar Bavaro, that one we would recommend 100%.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2006

We stayed at LTI from 4/21-28. Booked thru TNT vacations in Boston, MA. Our on-island rep, Primi was wonderful and very helpful. As a travel agent myself, I do wish that TNT had of mentioned that this particular resort was going to have a 95% european (mainly german) clientele when I reserved it. Really, this was the only drawback we had with LTI. We just could not socialize with anyone and we are a very social family. Our teenage boys had each other to hang with but it would have been nice to see some more teens from the USA. The language barriers made it impossible to carry on conversations.

The staff was welcoming and did make a gracious attempt to get all involved in the daily and nightly activities.

Rooms were standard and plenty large. A bit musty but only when you had the a/c on and the slider shut. Our rooms were on the 3rd level in building #4 and we slept every night with the slider wide open and just the ceiling fan on as the breezes were wonderful! Weather was fabulous and we only had 5 minutes of rain in 7 days. The beach in front of LTI is fabulous. We all have great tans!

Resort has a great layout and is so beautiful. It's even better than the on-line pictures! Pool is large and winding with a small bridge. Plenty of pool and beach chairs as well as palapas.

Food was sub-par and we all suffered with "travelers tummy". A couple of us are still suffering. This is typical for Dominican however. Presidente was good but not always cold enough. They put a lot of rum in the drinks so watch out.

Bottom line is, if you are planning on a vacation to Punta Cana and you want to mingle and interact with the other guests, I would find out from the resort you choose if they do in fact have a decent amount American guests. Or, if you prefer to keep to yourself, LTI would be fabulous.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail julie@hideaways.com

• Stayed: April 2006