“Poetry at Zoetry”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We just returned from this resort (Nov.27th to Dec.4th) and it was beyond the most incredible vacation experience we have ever had. We highly recommend this resort, particularly if you are looking for premium food, service, wines and alcohol. We could not have asked for anything better! Service on the beach was never-ending....for drinks and food. They are there before you are even thinking that you need something. Watch for Jaheida and Rosalita...both excellent! Bar service was excellent as well....if they don't have what you are looking for, ask for it and it will be there. Look for Pedro and Alias! I could go on and on, but just suffice it to say that this will be our "go to" vacation spot.........AJ and BF

Room Tip: all rooms are good...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank angie j
Write a ReviewReviews (4,391)

Reviewed 4 December 2011

As th title states this is heaven on earth absolutly fell in love with this resort perfect for our honeymoon the staff the views the food nothing to fault. Although i have a business niche for the management a photographer going around snappin pics as we were on our own we have very little pics together and give the option to purcharse negitives on check out.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our nuptials at Zoetry Agua. We were joined by a large group of family and close friends. Initially, I was very nervous and apprehensive, as all brides are, but once I set foot on the property, all of my fears were laid to rest. Zoetry is a beautiful property and the staff are very professional and friendly. The wedding coordinator expertly handled all of the arrangements, allowing me to relax and enjoy our time at the resort. Our day was beautiful and all of the guests felt it was the best wedding they'd ever attended!

I cannot say enough about the professional manner exhibited by all of the staff. The level of service at this hotel is impeccable. We never had any difficulty with the service. Yes, some of the staff do not speak English, but it never was an issue. Personally, I was glad to have an opportunity to practice my limited Spanish.

The beach at Zoetry is kept very clean and secure, unlike many other properties in the area. There was an abundance of palapas and beach chairs. The beach service was great as well.

All of our guests were very pleased with the accomodations and the food and beverage service. I ordered things that weren't on the menu several times and never had any difficulty getting what I wanted. All of the food is organic and fresh. Much of it is locally sourced.

We loved this resort and we definitely will be returning for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Garden rooms have more privacy than ocean front.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mrsmerr
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I've used tripadvisor extensively over the years to guide me in my travels and never have been so compelled to write a review then now.

My husband and I stayed at Zoetry (11/26-12/3) on our honeymoon and I certainly wish I read the average-poor reviews more closely before booking. I should've know when I sent the hotel 2 emails prior to my visit and received no communication back. Another clue was the car transfer at the airport was not there upon our arrival, which was a bit aggravating and took nearly 1 hour of sorting out.

Resort grounds are beautiful and we were certainly impressed and excited upon arrival. But after being in our room for sometime we noticed hoards of bees. My husband must have killed 30 of them before calling the front desk. Their answer was to send the housekeeper with a bottle of bug spray. After killing another 30, the last straw was when we were laying in bed and my husband was stung by a bee. It was late in the evening but we made them give us another room.

The new room is an upgrade, right on the serpentine pool which is quite nice. But when I went to open the blinds the next morning to let some natural light in, the entire thing came crashing down. So, if you get room 4, do not touch the blinds above the bathtub.

The food - the salads and fruit are good, basically the raw uncooked foods seem to be the way to go. But I don't eat any meat and am 4 months pregnant so need to be careful what I eat, and found the food options to be very limited. The presentation is quite nice as others mentioned, but the food is mediocre and inconsistent. My egg white omelet was greasy, my saffron rice with mushroom arrived with barely 1 mushroom and zero taste, my gazpacho was so salty it was not edible and my 'hummus and vegetable' plate came as a warm green soup with some mini carrot and broccoli wraps in it...also so salty it couldn't be eaten. Additionally, there is a major language barrier. I ordered 2 hard boiled eggs with wheat toast and got 4 soft boiled runny eggs with white toast (by try number 7, I finally got a hard boiled egg). The menus are so vague you have no idea what you are getting, and the waitstaff doesnt have the ability to explain the dishes since they barely speak English. Not sure how so many reviews rave about the food - but if you are used to truly good food, come from any sort of metropolitan city, are looking for healthy food, or appreciate and expect fine dining, then you will be dissapointment. If you have any type of dietary restrictions, and do not speak Spanish,this isn't the place for you. I literally had to order 2-3 dishes per meal in order to get one that I could actually eat. And I'm not sure how this hotel considers itself a wellness resort with food to match - I ordered a vegetarian sandwich which I thought was a safe healthy option. It came with frozen carrots and broccoli that were steamed in a triple decker white bread sandwich with fries. Not an ounce of nutrition on the plate.

Room service was a great perk, but on our last day the hotel was full and it took 90 minutes to get our food. Wait time was typically closer to 45 minutes.

The good news is the staff. They are very helpful and accomodating and will get you whatever you need (assuming they understand you). They are very sweet, happy, friendly and kind. There is always a worker around cleaning something, fixing something or grooming the landscape. The grounds really are impeccable, as are the rooms - housekeeping comes to the room 3 times per day.

The beach was murky upon our arrival, more like the jersey shore then the Caribbean, but that was due to the rain. After a couple days of no rain, the water was quite nice, clear, warm and nice to swim in. The beach - they clean it every day so it is nice. But If you go for a walk to the left or right of the hotel, all you will find is a beach littered with garbage. I've never seen anything like it, it's pretty disgusting. My husband said 'I feel like I could step on a needle if I don't look where I'm going'. A far cry from the many other Caribbean beaches I've been to.

In the end, this place looks beautiful on the outside, but once you spend a bit of time, you come to realize this is far from luxury and it leaves
much to be desired.

The good is the staff really is wonderful and the grounds are gorgeous. Pool is fantastic and steps from the beach.
Bad is the food, bugs, the
language barrier, and beach is definitely not one of the best, far from it.

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank Nyc205363
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband and I just came back from the Zoetry Agua after spending 9 nights there, which seems like a lot, but it does pass by fast. I also was a little nervous after reading some reviews, but everything was so great. I learned that there is some truth to the negative, but I feel that the positives were just so amazing that I had to give the property a 5 rating..if there was a 4.5, I would have chosen that though..

First off, the staff at this hotel makes this a 5 star for me. Hands down, the best staff I have ever dealt with. Everyone from room service, to cleaning, to the coffee cafe, to the bar, to the restaurant service..everyone was amazing. I wish I could name all their names, but there are too many, Jose from the Coco Cafe was super nice in making our fave cappuccinos and mochas every morning, Aurelio (I do not even know if that is how you spell it, I feel so bad) was amazing as well, he restocked our mini bar with things we loved, if you tell them, they will restock it to your liking. Kenny always made sure you were taken care of at the bar, he was my husband's fave employee. He also liked Juan, the waiter/bartender at Indigo every day at lunch. There are so many others I can't even name, but also the woman who waited on us at the beach was super nice and made sure we had everything. All the staff was amazing who helped us.

Food is AMAZING. I ate seafood for lunch and dinner every day, my husband is a vegetarian and they made him special dishes like vegetable paella which he LOVED. And the chefs and waiters personally come to you to ask if you liked it, and would ask what else they could do. Guacamole and chips with lunch at Indigo was great, and they would always make sure your drinks were refilled. Indigo was great for lunch, it is right by the ocean and has an amazing breeze and view. We never ate breakfast out, that is when room service came in handy, we ordered it in every morning and it was delicious. There were a couple things at times where we would ask for no meat, and it would come with a big pile of bacon on the side or a ton of ham in omelette which was a bit gross, but they would just fix it for you. French toast was delish.

Rooms were beautiful, we had a garden view across the amaya on the ground floor and we loved it. MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER. I cannot stress that enough..sometimes you wouldn't even want to get up early because the bed was just so amazing. Shower is great, although at times they would forget to refill our toiletries, and there were a couple days where I would shower at night and there would be no hot water, which is a bit annoying when you spend all day on the beach and expect a hot shower before you go out to dinner. Patios outside were super nice and comfortable if you just want to hang and read.

I also loved the size of the resort, only 51 rooms, where as most of the resorts in PC are around 300 or more, Hard Rock has almost 1800! We liked that this was not a spring break scene, and had no casino. Spa was great when it was a rainy day, spa prices were a bit much, my husband paid 149 for 50 mins, which we don't even pay in Manhattan, but he said the massage was great and they did a really great job. I had a 20 minute complimentary which was nice as well. The sauna is great, the whole vibe to the spa is great, though they should make the pool a bit cooler, I felt like I was stepping into boiling water.

I just wanted to stress again that the food and drinks are amazing. Everything is super fresh, and portions are perfect. I would have dessert and cappuccinos every night.

There is a definite language barrier, that may be a little frustrating at times if you don't speak any Spanish at all, luckily I know a good amount, but my husband knows nothing at all. You may want to memorize key phrases just for convenience.

The mosquitoes are pretty unbearable, at least for me they were, the reviews are not exaggerated. I have 101 bites, and my husband got less, but he was never really prone to bites until this trip. They do fumigate the rooms, and it does help, but we did have to ask them to do it a couple more additional times, we did find a roach in our bathroom one night, and if there is one thing my husband can't stand it is a roach. Luckily we only found only one, we heard of others having more, but the hotel is literally in the middle of a jungle-like atmosphere, so you have to expect a few things. There are lizards and gekkos, but those didn't really bother me. I also did see a mouse run across the property once which was a bit startling, but no biggie.

Only problem I had with front desk was our departure, they were supposed to change our pickup time to the airport from 1030 to 1130 because we had a 230 flight (takes an hour or less to get there), I asked the night before and he said he would change it in the morning because it was too early of a pick up time, however I did not trust that he would do that (just because it was the end of the day and I'm sure he would forget in the morning), and I'm glad I dididn't, because when I checked in the morning, they didn't change it. So I think it was Edward in the morning who said he would change it right away, so he confirmed for 1130. However, he called back at 1010 and said sorry 1030, which is so annoying because we were not ready at all. Finally convinced him to change it to 1050 at least so we could have time to throw everything in our bags. Then we really felt rushed, and that annoyed my husband a lot. It's annoying because the Amstar people were waiting from 1030, so it's just inconsiderate to all. But whatever.

Another little annoying that, was that a few days before our arrival, I would email the hotel and ask questions and the woman answering was super nice, however she would get back to me after a day or more, which is very irritating when you are trying to plan a smooth vacation for our 3rd year anniversary. They should really work on it getting back to people promptly, I'm sure if I was more pressing they would have responded sooner, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I figured I should be truthful and my negatives in, but trust me when I say that the staff there really works on making sure you are feeling happy and taken care of at all times. All in all, I would definitely recommend this property, it was 9 days of relaxation and fun, if we went back to Punta Cana I would definitely consider this place again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple