“Total Serenity”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This was our second time visiting the DR and our first time visiting Punta Cana. Our stay at the Zoetry Aqua was simply luxurious and the staff was outstanding. "Es un placer", it's my pleasure, was a sincere phrase that we heard often as guests from the wonderful staff. Food and beverage choices was exemplar to a 4-star restaurant, the only complaint is that the restaurant Olena didn't have air conditioning. Our room was spacious and clean, essentially luxury in the tropics. Two small problems we had were resolved in a timely manner. Spa facilities and services exceeded our expectations. Pools were well maintained and the perfect temperature. This is the place to go to relax and rejuvenate, to be spoiled and catered to. Remember you will be in a warm tropical climate so prepare by purchasing deep woods off or comparable mosquito repellant. If you are in a room on the second level, be mindful of the walkway, the wood planks are a tad worn. They had started repairing them during our stay but the work was going slowly.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank VanessaAW

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Where do I start...  First, this is by far the best all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic (perhaps tied for first with Tortuga Bay - but it's about half the price).  We have to been to others in the DR, and this resort blows them away in terms of service, food and atmosphere.  I'm not sure what some of the other reviewers expect from a resort in a relatively impoverished country, but despite some minor short comings, it is the staff and friendly people of the DR that make this resort very special (Kenny, Juan, Carlos just to name a few).  The employees bend over backwards for the people staying at the resort, even while they work 16 to 18 hours a day.  They likely make less than ten US dollars a day in wages.  Not once did we receive poor attitude from anyone, and were never given "No" as an answer.  Any issues - say a keycard to a room was not working - were dealt with promptly and with a smile.  If you want stone crab claws brought to your room at 4:30 a.m. in the morning, they will make it happen (24 hour room service is included at no charge).  It may take a while sometimes, but it will get done.

If you arrive expecting perfection, you will disappointed.  But truly, what resort can offer that?  There are ALWAYS hiccups when you stay at resorts.  You can find may things to criticize if look hard enough.   Accept that maybe sometimes mistakes happen and issues may arise.  It is how you choose to deal with it that will make or break your vacation.  We encountered a few 'chronic complainers' (mostly from a large country in North America) at this resort who are those demanding types.  They are the types that cannot be made happy regardless of any effort.  This resort can be held to a higher standard, and thus tends to attract those types.  You are not in Monte Carlo.  Like many people have said in previous reviews, if you want an impeccable experience, rent a private island and hire a butler that speaks English as a first language.  But even then I'm sure you would still find fault.  A little understanding and patience sometimes goes a long way.

This resort is amongst the quietest retreats.  The fifty-some suites really give an intimate and relaxing feel, in contrast to the larger, often crowded commercial resorts.  If you are the social type, you can meet a lot of people as you will repeatedly run into them over the course of a week.  If you want to be private, you can spend all day at the beach/spa and in your room at night, completely unbothered.  The beach is constantly groomed, and not crowded like many larger resorts.  At times, it feels like there are only staff members around.  The spa is very professional and a great place to relax.  I experienced several of the treatments, and would say they were all above average.  There are no buffets on this resort.  Just three a la carte restaurants which have various themes - Olena, which is Asian fusion, Amaya, which is international fare, and Indigo which is sort of Carribean/Italian.  All of the restaurants serve a large variety of well prepared dishes (again, don't expect Le Bernardin or L'Atelier here - be realistic).  There are 5 or 6 house wines at all restaurants to choose from, enough to make most people happy.  Oh, and if you don't see anything you want on the menu, just ask your server, and they will bring out whatever you want.  I literally ate lobster for lunch and dinner for my first four days.  You want two spiny lobster tails with a side of fries for dinner?  It may take a bit of time, but will get done.

PROS - Resort is peaceful, beautiful and immaculate.  Extremely clean.  Excellent groomed beach.  Sand is like sawdust, ocean is pristine.  Infinity pool and swimming pools are also very clean.  Food and liquor quality is top notch for the DR.  The staff is very eager to please and/or correct any issues you may encounter, regardless of any perceived language barrier.  Kenny is one of best and genuine bartenders we have met in the Caribbean.

CONS - This resort is an hour cab ride from Punta Cana airport (Trip Advisor's location of this resort is incorrect) it is North of Macao Beach.  There is no nightly entertainment other than a lounge bar where a band will play for an hour or two (this is intentional - it keeps the resort peaceful at night.  However, if you want to see entertainment, they arrange transportation to the Dreams Punta Cana for a night show during the week, at no extra charge).  There are mosquito/sandfly issues periodically.  The resort sprays often, but again, be realistic - this resort is basically in the middle of the jungle.

All in all, the Zoetry remains a five star resort in a relatively poor country.  Regardless of the issues mentioned in some of the previous reviews, you will not find a better place stay in the DR.  For us, it was the amazing staff that put this resort in a class all its own.

• Stayed: January 2012
18  Thank Melony C
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We spent a week at Zoetry in October 2011 - had an amazing time. Relaxing, fun, romantic, private, quiet, peaceful, gorgeous, tastefully done! The food was outstanding - service out of this world. Reading some other reviews, you would thing some American visitors were shocked to have non-English speakers working there & that there was an occasional bug IN THE CARIBBEAN! (Get real people! If you want things like they are in the US, stay there!) Anyway, housekeeping was wonderful & they deserve a big thank you for keeping our bar stocked and beds made. We thought the whole stay was amazing - staff bent over backwards to make our stay outstanding. From the van to the resort, to the private horseback riding tour (ask at the front desk) to free laundry service, to wonderful room service, we had a beautiful time. Comfy bed, awesome outdoor shower, intimate setting, gorgeous beach. Four thumbs up.

Room Tip: To help tailor your room selection, you can email Lupiri Borja at reservations.zoapc@zoetryresorts.c...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The Zoetry is lovely in many ways, but it is not a 5 star hotel, I believe its about a 3 star. The service is uneven, many things were broken during my stay, and communicating with some staff can be difficult. A fair price for a place like this is $180 or so US per person per night as it is all inclusive. Any more than that, I would confidently go elsewhere. Here are some accounts from my visit:

CONS:

- When I arrived, the lobby was under construction and there was no furniture in the lobby and they were stripping the floor. The lobby bar was closed most of my stay because of the construction and when furniture and the lobby bar reopened, they floor was left unfinished, it would have been best to do this job some other time as the property did seem full as a wedding was there over the weekend.

- The Olena restaurant was closed for construction during my stay. Considering there are only 2 other places to eat, this was really annoying.

- Many servers and staff members do not understand any English. Ordering room service can vary from a bit annoying (talking slow and repeating the order several times) to beyond frustrating (slamming down the phone and walking to the front desk to place the order). Do not expect that your order will ever be 100 % accurate. Ordering food in restaurants is also hard, I got french toast when I wanted toast for breakfast and iced tea when I ordered hot tea. My wife wanted cereal one morning and received a bowl of milk.

- Hot water is limited, mine went out several times and only lasted 4 minutes at a time.

- The lighting at the property is very dark and shadowy. Bring a flashlight and avoid heels and flip-flops at night, especially if you have an upstairs rooms. The lighting in the rooms I can be dark. Applying makeup and shaving is difficult at times.

- Second floor rooms are treacherous to get to. The stairs to the rooms and the upstairs walkways should be totally reconstructed (they were during the LOUD maintenance for a few days during the stay which I didn't appreciate) as they are uneven, they are missing planks, and they are slippery. I could see someone getting extremely hurt going to and from their second floor room.

- I saw many roaches in my room each day.

- The mini bar was never stocked. I asked for coca coca several times and got beer.

- The hot tub and steam shower in the spa only worked some of the time.

- They were doing construction by the pool all day during 2 days of my stay. It was very loud and annoying. I traveled all the way to PC to get away from big city noise, so I didn't appreciate the sound of drills and hammers for 10 hours at a time when all I wanted to do was read a book and have a beer. I went to the beach those days and it bothered me as I prefer the pool and being close to cocktail service.

- Some staff members were kind and friendly whereas many were rude, condescending, and distracting. One young lady, I believe perhaps the F&B manager, had a horrible and aggressive attitude. She was extremely defensive about the Olena restaurant being closed when I asked.

- The staff members will enter the room unannounced if you do not leave your do not disturb sign on your door without knocking. I am very embarrassed to say that I was in the shower one day when this occurred. If you use the do not disturb sign, the staff takes it literally and will not knock even if I have ordered room service or asked for room repairs.

- My duvet cover had several holes in it. For $700 a night per couple, this is just unacceptable.

- I opted to not have daily housekeeping service because I witnessed a housekeeper looking through my hanging clothes in my closet (she seemed to be checking the labels on my wife's dresses). Even though nothing ended up missing, this gesture made me extremely uncomfortable, I believe she was scouting something. I chose to call for housekeeping and stay in the room while they cleaned.

- The food is good, not great. I found the eggs and meat to be delicious and fresh, the seafood and salads, not so much. I also liked the pizza offered at lunch and found it annoying they they didn't offer it late at night when I wanted it for a late night snack. Coffee was bleak and always cold, wine was on par with $6.00 varieties in the US, desserts were unpalatable, bread was often rock hard.

- There is an annoying rooster that wakes up the property at 6:00 am. I would have enjoyed some peace until at least 8:00 am.

PROS:

- The rooms are pretty and offer nice bathrooms. There is an iPod dock and lovely bath products. The beds are hard, but I love a hard bed, so I found them to be great. The rooms have large closets to hang clothes and lots of bathroom counter space to set up your toiletries from home,.

- The pool is very pretty and the chairs by the pool (they could use a few more) are spacious, perfect for a nap.

- When the lobby area and bar did get set up, it was a peaceful place to escape from the heat , great place to read in the shade.

- The beach is quiet and secluded. I wake up early and could be the only person by the pool and beach until 10:00 am, no fighting over chairs.

- The beach restaurant was wonderful and balmy for dinner. My favorite atmosphere to eat, they had a very nice steak, too.

Room Tip: The nicest and most private rooms are actually the least expensive ones! The cheapest rooms offer t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BDF74
Reviewed 17 January 2012

....to find something wrong with this property....
after reading some of the negative reviews on TA in the past few weeks I have to say that I was a bit "hesitant. when I arrived. I sometimes wonder if people writing reviews on TA actually GO to the resort!
In my honest opinion, my husband and I tried hard to be picky about this place but we could not!
I am a travel agent, we take at least 2 trips to the caribbean each winter and always stay at high end resort. I consider myself spoiled rotten :)
This place is perfect!
It is not for everybody, I have to admit, since it is VERY quiet, but this is what we wanted. Yes there was a wedding on the week we were there, yes they were by the pool and the bars, but you know what....we stuck to the beach!
Plus, on one night we decided to join in the fun! And we had a great time!

The food is amazing, the wine selection is spectacular, the service is.... excellente!!!
I actually thought it was a bit too fast at time!!
Orlando does an superb job at entertainment, in a not so easy environment since people are here to relax and unwind
Take advantage of the coffee shop, they do an amazing latte
The spa is world class
No bugs, tarantulas, crabs, lizards, elephants or lions....... :)
and yes there is an alarm clock in the room, it is actually an iPod docking station

Really, an amazing week!!! We will go back!

Room Tip: Plunge pool rooms are not worth it since they are in the shade all day
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple