All reviews graham greene thursday night interesting mix room was large room for improvement ram band voodoo suite gingerbread barrymore disrepair toll artwork authenticity workers fans
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a 5 star resort, then you may be about 30 years too late; however, if you can appreciate the authenticity of an older Haitian hotel and restaurant with a beautiful, cultural history, this is your place. We stayed in the Susan Sarandon room and despite intermittent electricity and cold showers, we had an amazing time. The view is spectacular. The mojito is to die for. RAM was a unique and entertaining experience. I give this five stars for experience. Definitely recommend visiting to help build the tourism in Port Au Prince!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The hotel is a grand building where in its Gilded Age the rich and famous congregated. Among its claims to fame it was the setting of a Graham Greene novel. It’s a beautiful example of gothic gingerbread architecture. The years have taken their toll though and it’s now in disrepair with crooked balusters, chipping paint, creaky floorboards. All that and the voodoo artwork that dot the property give it a mysterious and uncanny aura. I do not recommend this place for an overnight stay, more because of the dingy and shabby look of the rooms than anything else. But we had a cocktail at sunset with the beautiful view of the sea, the yellowish glow of the light bulbs highlighting the architectural features and the eerily quiet surroundings and it was an highlight of our trip. Also, there is a theatre for live music and it is worth to check the calendar in advance for any event.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

I've been obsessed with this Hotel for years. Having read "The Comedians" and having seen Films and documentaries about, I finally got to visit it . It did NOT disappoint. The Imposing structure is akin to a temple. Love all the vodou themed sculpture assemblages scattered about the yard. Spoke to a waiter who's worked there over 30 years . Great atmosphere all around. Food Decent if pricey. Timed our visit for the RAM performance. Fantastic show great crowd wonderful vibes. We were greeted by one of those Legendary tropical downpours our first night it felt like a welcome sign. Will go back! One of the last few great Hotels. You can almost feel the presence of history.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mats S
Reviewed 2 February 2018

I enjoyed staying in the Paul Haggis room which was nicely furnished. The bathroom was substandard but the shower worked well. Loved the view of the city from the balcony in front. The food was fair and for breakfast they have a variety to choose from. They feature special dishes for lunch and dinner. The owner's musical group R.A.M. performs late Thursday nights so people booking that night must be aware of this event.

Room Tip: have a look before selecting as they have different types of rooms
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Context tends to help when posting reviews of hotels in Haiti, since everyone has a specific reason for needing a place to stay- I'm American, have been spending time in Haiti, visiting friends since the 90s and also lived there for a few years. My husband was born and raised in Delmas and my (step)son spent the first 6 years of his life in Delmas. We've been in Brooklyn for the past 6 years, but go back to Haiti to visit often.

I loved my stay at the Oloffson!!! My husband emailed them about 2 months before our trip and he secured the John Barrymore suite for the night of our Thursday night arrival.

The suite is on the second floor of the main building and it's huge! Two bedrooms (one with two queen beds and one with two double beds) and a bathroom are grouped around a small reception area which also leads out to a GIGANTIC wrap-around porch that contains a full dining table and a beautiful, king-sized mahogany bed. We were four people (my family plus my son's cousin) but 9 people could've easily slept in that suite! The view from the porch was incredible. There was decent water pressure in the (very cold) shower. The room with the two queen beds had standing fans and no tv, and the room with the double beds had air conditioning and tv. Everyone was very happy in that room.

The Barrymore suite was booked for the next night, so we asked if there were any other availalable rooms. We were going to be a group of five, so they showed us 3 different available suites to choose from. We selected the Senator John Edwards suite, which was in a newer building to the left of the hotel, next to the area where the kitchen workers were situated. The John Edwards suite had a good sized front area that slept 3 (a double bed and a day bed) and, two steps up, a bedroom area with a queen sized bed. That room had air conditioning, a tv and hot water in the shower. No complaints about that room, either.

We checked in on a Thursday, which is the night the owner's band, RAM, plays- that's actually the reason we wanted to stay at the Oloffson the first night. We grabbed a few rum punches and chilled as the band vibed out. The crowd was an interesting mix of white relief workers of the hippie persuasion and arty/bourgie Haitians.

We were so busy the two days we spent at the hotel that I only got to enjoy the pool very briefly. The kids wanted to go swimming at around 8pm our first night- we checked with the front desk and they said no problem and that the pool had been serviced earlier in the day. We splashed around for about half an hour before heading back to the room.

The staff is SO FRIENDLY. Front desk folks were nice- two of the ladies actually remembered my husband from when he'd stayed there over the summer. Hotel workers helped us get our 8 pieces of oversized luggage up and down several staircases. Wait staff was very pleasant and service was really quick. Don't bother with the very scanty free breakfast buffet- you're going to want the mayi moulen with herring or an omelette.

We're going to be back in Port au Prince in a few months and the plan is to spend our first 4 nights at the Hotel Oloffson, so I will have a little more time to get to know the hotel. My husband says he's not crazy at all about being downtown, but says the hotel and the area directly around it is safe.

Room Tip: John Barrymore suite is HUGE, with an outdoor bed, and can sleep 6 or more. Senator Edwards suite is secluded and sleeps 5.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family