“Sandals Rocks!”

Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Elmira, New York
“Sandals Rocks!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I just got back a week ago from Sandals Royal Caribbean and I can't say enough about it. Although I could spend time talking about a FEW small disappointments I faced while there (and I mean very few and very small) I am not going to because any disappointments I faced were quickly alleviated by the wonderful nature of the Jamaican staff! These people are what make me want to come back to Jamaica over and over again. Their sincerity and genuine good nature makes you want to smile every minute of every day. As you walk the resort you are constantly greeted by smiling faces who always go out of their way to say hello. I do have to point out a few of my favorite people who work so hard every day to make the resort beautiful and fun for their guests. First of all, Lady Storm (Tobi) is a sweetheart! My husband and I had the opportunity to sit with her and chat for an hour or so while she waited to start rehearsal for the next days' entertainment. She's smart, beautiful and open. She's extremely talented and has a wonderful heart. She loves her job and it shows. She's amazing and what she does at and Sandals is sooooooo lucky to have her. Another favorite person of ours is our waitress, Rushell. She waited on us our first night at the Regency restaurant and we requested her every night after that. She's so sweet and kind and always smiling and laughing. We exchanged addresses with her and plan to stay in contact with her for life. Another worker that we encountered there was a gardner/landscaper named Boysie. What a wonderful person! He spoke to me briefly as he was raking the lawn in front of our room. The next day when I returned to the room there was a vase of flowers on our patio table. I figured the maid left them. Then he came along and asked if I got the flowers he left me. It's those little gestures that made my stay at Sandals RC unforgettable. I told Boysie that he's so good with people that he should be in a job that allows him to interact with people more and he told me that he loves what he does. I hope next time I come back he will be the Supervisor! What a great person! A few other mentionables are Kermit, Oliver, Big Bird (he's awesome) and our bartender Curtis. Thank you, Sandals for an unforgettable vacation and we will definitely see you agian!

Room Tip: One thing I didn't realize is that if you don't book a room that has either consierge or but...
3 Thank ErinCarp
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
We're so thrilled to read of your stellar stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It sounds like your entire stay was such an incredible experience. I will be sure to forward your review to our staff on resort. They will be so happy to hear of your kind mention. Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Greek first
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Both of these are an excellent choice for an all inclusive in Montego Bay. There is one advantage I would want to point out to a first time visitor for choosing Sandals Royal. Both properties are on the approach to the airport in Montego Bay. Sandals Montego Bay is in my opinion too close to the airport. You can hear the plane before it even takes off at Sandals Mo Bay and the plane is very low when it crosses this property. Sandals Royal Caribbean is about three and a half miles further away, and therefore the noise of the planes is not really as issue. Both Sandals properties have numerous gourmet restaurants--hint to the man-after you have arrived at your room go and book the gourmet restaurants immediately. Your honey will be grateful. In Montego Bay you can choose any of the gourmet restaurants at both Montego Bay properties. Romance is everywhere at Sandals--enjoy!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrsaintmarteeen
We are so happy to read that you had a great stay with us. Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We always want to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and satisfying stay with us and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time visiting our resort.

We look forward to seeing you back!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We recently got back from an excellent fortnight at SRC. The resort was beautiful, friendly and comfortable. We were able to fully relax thanks to excellent service from all the staff who cater to your every need.

After reading previous reviews, we upgraded to the Beach Front Butler Suite and are generally glad we did. Our butlers were brilliant and extremely attentive (even for two British people who found the whole Butler thing a little awkward initially, we still enjoyed it!) Furthermore, you get a few perks with the Butler Suite that other guests do not - fully stocked drinks cabinet with liquors and spirits, and a fridge full of fizzy wine and other wines that was constantly replenished. You also get free Wifi, which compared to paying $60 for one week, is great.

The only let down, I feel, was the standard of the accommodation. Considering the considerable amount you pay for the Butler Suites, our room really needed repairing and re-painting. Our air conditioning unit leaked constantly, which felt like Chinese water torture at times thanks to the constant dripping sound. It meant that a stream of water also ran down our wall, which was moldy and damp. The water spread across the floor so we had to have a towel down constantly after slipping on it numerous times -which was pretty dangerous! Above us, were yellow damp stains across the entire ceilings from the room above, which was obviously also leaking.

I don't think Sandals should be charging such a price for a room in that condition and we felt a little duped. I would warn people against paying such a price for mediocre accommodation.

We also had a problem with cockroaches and unfortunately I found one 'feeding' off my toothbrush and retainer one two occasions. That was pretty disgusting.

Aside from that, it was a great trip and this is a beautiful resort!

3 Thank lej7986
We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and well-appointed rooms, but it seems we did not meet your expectations during your stay, and for that we are truly sorry. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay with us.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in February 2011, and are actually on our way back in February 2014. We LOVED this resort! Previously, we stayed at the Dunns River property, so knew Sandals was a great company!

We originally booked the (I believe names have changed) Crystal Lagoon room, but were upgraded to the Romeo and Juliet (now something else) penthouse. LOVED IT! Best room ever! We loved the butler service, and would never go back to non-butler service at Sandals. The butlers are truly the best, and make the entire vacation stress-free! You don't have to worry about dinner reservations, simply tell your butlers where you want to eat, and they will manage to get you reservations for each night!

Every morning, they will set up breakfast on your balcony, and prepare your cooler (stocked with essentials). They reserved us our favorite chairs on either the island, the pool, or the beach, wherever we wanted for the day.

When we would return from the beach or pool in the afternoon, the butlers had snacks waiting for us in the room. The catch on quickly to what you like to drink, and you never run out!

While relaxing at the pool or on the island, they are only a phone call away to bring you a drink or lunch, or whatever you need! One night, I needed bug spray, so they brought me that too!

Overall, the resort is great. It isn't the fanciest (though very nice), and isn't large...but it is just right! We have stayed at several different all-inclusives, and this one really takes the cake for us. We love the fact that it is only 15 minutes from the airport, and a straight flight for us. We can be at the resort a mere 4-5 hours after leaving our house!

We got to check out some of the other rooms. I can say that I would have been disappointed with some of the lower level rooms, but I am very picky and would simply prefer to spend the money to stay in the best rather than save a few bucks.

On our return trip, we didn't want to fuss with upgrades, so simply booked the penthouse that we wanted. We can't wait!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsGatorgirl
We're so pleased to hear that your first impression of Sandals was a great one! You enjoyed your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean and we couldn't be happier to hear it. Thank you so much for your review!

We look forward to welcoming you back next year and exceeding your expectations next time!
Amelia, Ohio
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 9 day stay at SRC from 11/19-11/27 where we celebrated our wedding and honeymoon! It was an amazing trip, with wonderful memories and we can't wait to return soon! We stayed in a Crystal Lagoon Swim Up Suite with Butler services in the Buckingham building. Our room was great; very clean, big four poster king sized bed, huge bathroom to get ready in with a big open shower and great soaking whirlpool tub and we had a nice big patio with views of both the lagoon pools, gardens and a view of the beach and ocean. We sat out on patio enjoying coffee & breakfast in the AM and drinks and a snack (brought by our butlers daily) in the late afternoon while getting ready for dinner out.

SERVICE:
Our butlers, Hugh & Ellis -- were absolutely awesome!!! They were both super friendly, always helpful & thoughtful - from checking in on us at the beach just to see if we needed anything, bringing up surprise fun tropical drinks to try, decorating our room with pretty flowers, drawing relaxing baths, helping us with any reservations we needed from dinners to fun excursions to cabana rentals! Hugh and Ellis were both very personable and you could tell that they both truly cared for their guests, their jobs and making our stay the best that it could be.

BEACH:
Our favorite spot to sit and soak up the sunshine was down at the beach, waterfront under a thatch hut! There are also 3 pools and 3 lagoon pools to enjoy as well with chairs in both sun and shade and also floating rafts to usel! The views of the ocean, looking out at the SRC island and watching the all the water sports kayaks, catamaran and paddle boards (that are all free to use and have fun on!) was super relaxing. Hugh & Ellis also made sure we had great chairs, towels and always a cooler packed with essentials to enjoy on the beach! We also rented a beach front bed cabana over on the island – this is a must to try & enjoy and I suggest renting it on the island instead of on the main beach. Well worth it!

The Mariners beach front bar and restaurant was great! All the staff and bartenders were always friendly and always helpful. We loved Rodane, our very funny bartender friend, who made us some excellent drinks – you need to try a Bob Marley and a Dirty Banana for sure! And Niccola was always walking around the beach, with a friendly smile, to check on people to see if they needed anything. The brick oven pizzeria, Bella Napoli, was also one of our favorites for lunch and snacks. The pizzas were delish and you could make any kind you wanted.

FOOD:
We ate dinner at the Regency twice – loved the lobster and steak there! We also celebrated our wedding night dinner at Le Jardinier, the French restaurant. It was amazing! The steak and salmon was top notch! One of my favorites was Royal Thai out on the SRC island! It had beautiful views of the water and looking over at the main SRC resort. The Thai appetizer sampler was so good; I could have had just that for dinner! We opted for breakfast on our balcony most mornings, but Cricketers for sit down breakfast was great – steak and eggs and lobster omelets! We also enjoyed Tokyo Jo’s and Cucina Romana over at the Montego Bay resort. The Japanese/hibachi style at Tokyo Jo’s was fun and the food was great! Cucina Romana had wonderful views looking out and was very romantic, along with amazing tiramisu dessert! Riding the shuttle from SRC over to MB was quick and easy! We loved the fact we could enjoy both resorts and shuttle back and forth so quickly! That was a great perk and gives you so many options!

FUN:
We also enjoyed a super fun day on the Reggae Cruise catamaran and snorkeling trip! The snorkeling was so much fun and the catamaran ride was amazing! The drinks, dancing, music, and staff on the boat were great! We loved this day trip! We also booked a couples massage together over on the island, in this peaceful hut on the back side of the island, that was open to the water and sounds of the waves during the massage. Our masseuse and massages were amazing! I had the Tropical Bliss and my husband had the Sports Therapy massage!

WEDDING:
The reason for our big trip to Jamaica was to get married and celebrate our wedding!!! We had 3 phone calls before we even arrived to SRC with wedding planners to help us plan and answer questions we had. Then we had our final wedding consultation once we arrived at SRC with Renee, our wedding coordinator. She was super friendly, explained the timeline of our events for our big day, gave us a cake tasting (we decided on the Caribbean fruit cake – yum!) and helped us with the day of, helping me with my dress and escorting my husband to the wedding building so I could get ready. Renee was super friendly and very helpful! You could tell she loves helping to coordinate weddings and sharing in that love! Our ceremony was out in one of the round wedding gazebos out on the water, it was beautiful! We also had our first dance, champagne toast, cake cutting, and we opted for an additional sand ceremony (like a unity candle). We ended up inviting 2 other couples we met at the resort to attend at the last minute, and Renee and Nigel (our wedding captain) quickly ran into action to get extra chairs and champagne without skipping a beat! All of this was captured by our photographer Kenmar – who took some amazing and beautiful shots of us all around the resort grounds! We loved our pics! The only things I think could improve would be the communication between the wedding coordinators and our butlers, since both teams are wanting to help us and make our experience great, there were a few things not discussed among them that we had to tell them each side about and also where and what we were able to use our Weddingmoon credit money on as well, it was very limited on what we could do with it, since we already had a catamaran booked and had an upgraded room, we used it on the beach cabana, but it could only be used up to $100. It would have been great to have been able to use this wedding credit money in the gift shop or in the spa too on other services! We ended up leaving $300 left unused. These two things were minor in the overall grand scheme of things of our stay – but could be improved upon for wedding guests.

OVERALL:
It was an amazing trip, wedding, and honeymoon! We will definitely be back and would stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean again! Ya Mon!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TDuty15
Thank you so much for your great review! We're so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Your wedding and honeymoon seemed to be such amazing experiences and I'm glad we had the chance to share such special moments with you.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay