Sand Castles Resort
US$115
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$75
US$68
Reggae Hostel Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$41
  • Bar/Lounge
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$88
Hotels.com
US$160
Official Site
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$270
Jamaica Inn(Ocho Rios)
US$384
US$339
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
US$553
US$404
Bookit.com
All reviewsprivate ownerturtle parkbeach accesscraft marketdunns riversupermarketmargaritavillenightlifeblast
Reviewed 25 March 2018

This i by far a beautiful Resort. Unit C4 (via Airbnb) was a pleasure to stay in - with lovely decor and great on the wallet (budget worthy). I love the fact that each unit in the Resort has it's own style - CHOICES!. If you check Airbnb you will see how many units have been wonderfully updated. Even passing thru the complex I could see this taking place. The boardwalk construction is during the day and is not noisy enough to be a bother at all (in my opinion) because they are building the old-fashioned way. However, the location of the Resort had me out of my room with adventures most of the day. There is so much to do! If I wanted to watch something on TV I was able to record the show to watch later.

It is well worth the money spent! Very affordable for the space and location. They did not appear to have room service anymore, but I could always ask the housekeeper to have someone bring me something or cook for me (at extra cost). However, I chose to eat out most days at local places or bring food back.

I went to the local supermarket and stocked up on basic things like yogurt, bread and juice until I was able to go out an get a Jamaican breakfast which doesn't open til around 9 am in some places. The units generally have a fridge, a hot water machine for instant coffee, a toaster, household items, etc. for meals.

Although the beach access is directly blocked - it is a short walk from the hotel to the next entrance. You can literally see the hotel a few steps away from the next entrance. It is not a crowded beach. I was able to sit in the shallow part of the water and observe the beautiful fish. The water is warm.

It is close to all the tourist adventures on the map!! and local landspots!! The grounds are kept immaculate! The pool needs a new coat of paint, but viewing the moon and stars at night from a late night swim is a trade-off!

I had a wonderful visit! Peoples personalities are different all over the world. So, with that in mind stick to the objective enjoy the Resort, the FOOD, the BEACH and the adventures - waterfalls, fern gully, etc!

Room Tip: Apartment C4 had great views ground floor beachfront.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Great host, very responsive. Beach Studio 6 small but clean, some common conveniences lacking, like spatula, dish towels/cloths, shelving and towel bar at bathroom sink. Bed uncomfortable, bulky ridge where two small beds come together, mattress springs felt.

Great WiFI, working AC. Updated safe needed where guests choose their own code; current code is same for everyone and is stickered on the safe door, with those particular number pads worn out, not very "safe." Loud traffic late at night, leafblowing early in morning (even on weekends), pool unbelievably cold. Fluorescent wristbands attract attention on street (they removed ours for us when we asked why they were even necessary - it's not an all-inclusive resort).

No direct access to beach from property due to construction, with unsightly fence along beach, not shown in description or photos. Need to get pass from desk, walk down street to public entrance, be approached by persistent locals promoting their goods and services...very tiring encountering them each time, asking us if we wanted a taxi, where we were going, what our plans were for the day, where we were from, if we wanted a smoke, did I want my hair braided...approached 10 times, one way.

Beach only open until 6pm, public entrance closes at 4:30pm...better make it to public gate before that, or access will be refused despite being from Sandcastles where guests would normally be able to use beach until 6pm if not for construction blocking their direct access. Ridiculous how access to beach on tropical island ends at 4:30 in the afternoon (closing at 6 is also kinda crazy); people vacation to Caribbean to spend time at beach! Our host compensated us a bit for the construction inconvenience, but in realtime, it wasn't worth staying here when another place down the beach still had direct access not compromised by construction.

Only when construction is done, construction fence taken down, piles of unsightly trash/rubbish/litter cleaned up from construction area, private access to beach from Sandcastles restored, and other considerations addressed will we be able to recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Sand Castles is a lovely place as long as you get the right room and do not have to deal with Sand Castles employees at all. I have been staying here on my vacations for two years and the front desk people are always rude and discourteous. When I went to check in they were not helpful at all and even straight out rude. We came with the big group and the only room that was terrible was the one we rented from Sand Castles. All of the privately owned rooms were fantastic. We stayed in D17, D16, and D18 and the views are phenomenal in these rooms. They are owned by Lloyd Wallen but the room we rented from Sand Castles had ants and mosquitoes everywhere. My sister woke up with ants crawling all over her face. It was a disaster and Sand Castles staff were very rude and never came to handle this complaint. They need to learn how to treat paying guest. The property is well kept and we love the beach right out front although it gets rough and dirty in the early months of the year. My best experience have been to go anywhere from mid-March through July. How hard can it be to find a friendly person to work the desk and treat guest with common courtesy after they have traveled all day to be there? Get it together, Sand Castles.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2018

The best about this place was the pool and the staff. Otherwise the food was terrible if at all available at lunch or dinner, although the breakfast was good, the beach non accessible from the hotel due to construction, the room very uncomfortable, including the bed, the patio, and the lack of amenities and beach towels. I will never go back there again.

Room Tip: Just don't book here- it has lost its lustre.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank akps_ott
Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed here twice now as a solo woman. A lot of them are privately owned so they’re all different. I booked on air bnb and mine was beachfront, clean, updated and equipped with everything I needed. I love the location because you can walk to everything and the beach is right there. The property is a little older but nice with a good bar and restaurant. The few times I dealt with the staff they were friendly and helpful. Staying there again next month!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo